Can 1 Subject Bring your ATAR down? (1 Viewer)

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Standard is only for people who think they'll get under 80 aligned mark.

That said with a lot of preparation it shouldn't be too hard to at least get 80+ in advanced to get scaled up.

bleakarcher

HSC
Especially if you're within the average, THEN it will really drag you down. It will align badly but scale almost the same as English Advanced.
Yep, this. Bad aligning means bad hsc mark which means bad final hsc mark after scaling.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Standard should is only for people who think they'll get under 80 aligned mark.

That said with a lot of preparation it shouldn't be too hard to at least get 80+ in advanced to get scaled up.
I'm pretty sure the state AVERAGE aligned mark for Advanced is 80. How hard can it be to beat the state average?

in b4 haters

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I'm pretty sure the state AVERAGE aligned mark for Advanced is 80. How hard can it be to beat the state average?

in b4 haters
None of us can make an informed decision. No one here knows the capabilities of the op.

Also i know some people who for the life of them couldn't get 80+.

Last edited:

bleakarcher

HSC
^ yeh majority of candidature get like b5,6 dont they? Anyways, OP put the effort in and it will pay off, dont just give up on English.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Op says she's aiming for 94+. I'd assume she has more potential than half the candidature of Advanced.

If it gives you any hope, I was ranked 189th/209 for English (Advanced) at the end of Year 11. Then I learnt that I had to study for English.

Last edited:

bleakarcher

HSC
yeh this is true. most standard kids cant do that though.

pasta8

HSC
This. Never EVER do Standard. Tbh, I can't tell the difference between Advanced and Standard.
Standard and advanced english are almost exactly the same in terms of difficulty so I see no point in not doing Advanced even for bad performing student. As I said previously it will do nothing but help your atar. Also, I recommend you move as well.
IMO I believe English Standard is a lot easier than Advanced, especially for someone who isn't passionate about English, or isn't particular good at it (seems kinda obvious). I managed to get a band 5 in Standard ; which would have been unlikely If I had done Advance. But by hypothetically substituting my Standard mark for Advanced in an ATAR calculator, it only made a 0.15 difference, which wouldn't really have helped me (could of though!). So unless you want/need an ATAR above 99 , choosing Standard can be a good idea.

Anywhoo. Back to the OP, like everyone else has said, 1 subject could easily bring your ATAR down, but If you put your head down and keep trying hard, you can definitely get over 94. I was in a similar to position to you in that I failed my first Standard assessment worth 20% (I really shouldn't have, it was total BS) , so was totally gutted about it since my ATAR aim was 96+. Eventually I got over it (was pissed off for ages though) and decided to spend a little extra time studying (didn't want to neglect my other subjects) English and ended up 1st LOL, not only because Standard is not that difficult but also because hardly anyone tries, so getting a good rank is a piece of cake. I know it won't be like that for you, since you're in Advanced, but the point is, that it is possible for you to bounce back! Consider a tutor as well, that could be the boost that you need.

Also if you end up not getting the ATAR you need, it's not the end of the world (which you've probably been told 1000 times).... I didn't get the ATAR I needed (although I did get 96.3 which was my aim lol ><) but after studying in a different but similar course, I got the marks I needed to transfer to the course I wanted... just focus on studying and doing your best, that's all you can do really, don't worry too much!

So In conclusion, Good Luck and Peace Out

Last edited:

pasta8

HSC
Standard is only for people who think they'll get under 80 aligned mark.

Or for people who don't like HSC english and would rather spend more time studying subjects they enjoy :).

That's like saying spoons are only for eating soup! That's just silly because spoons are only for sticking on your forehead. My SPOOOON is too biggg!

moonblack

HSC
ROFL you're completely and utterly fucked if you're failing english. Mate, throw all your dreams away about getting a good ATAR, just forget about it. You're done for. I mean if you chose something thats shit and useless like sowing (design technology or something for shit idiots) and did shit in that, whatever. But english (advanced) is the staple to a good ATAR.

Don't worry, there is always hope in:

https://www.tafensw.edu.au/

I look forward to seeing you institutionalised in such a fine learning environment.

"IMO I believe English Standard is a lot easier than Advanced, especially for someone who isn't passionate about English"

so easy you got a band 5, just what the fuck LOL

pasta8

HSC
Wow! Sowing is awesome, it's not useless you fool!

Cl324

HSC
N/A
IMO I believe English Standard is a lot easier than Advanced, especially for someone who isn't passionate about English, or isn't particular good at it (seems kinda obvious). I managed to get a band 5 in Standard ; which would have been unlikely If I had done Advance. But by hypothetically substituting my Standard mark for Advanced in an ATAR calculator, it only made a 0.15 difference, which wouldn't really have helped me (could of though!). So unless you want/need an ATAR above 99 , choosing Standard can be a good idea.
Advanced has almost identical difficulty to standard. I mean paper 1 is exactly the same and you still do three modules.
Whatever you got for standard you wouldve got better in for advanced, I guarantee. The reason why ATAR calculator gave you a 0.15 per cent difference is because it aligns differently. E.g. top 10% of students get b6 in advanced, top 0.05% of students get b6 in standard

enoilgam

HSC
Advanced has almost identical difficulty to standard. I mean paper 1 is exactly the same and you still do three modules.
Whatever you got for standard you wouldve got better in for advanced, I guarantee. The reason why ATAR calculator gave you a 0.15 per cent difference is because it aligns differently. E.g. top 10% of students get b6 in advanced, top 0.05% of students get b6 in standard
This. Advanced and standard scale the same but align differently - its the poor aligning that makes standard a bad subject choice.

HybridKath

More like HybriDead
HSC
I'm a selective school ranked ~30, they don't offer Standard English, no point arguing if Standard or Advanced is better.

Well, I've got several months to work on English so I'd better start so it's less likely to jeopardize my chances of 94+. Gotta bust out some past papers.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a selective school ranked ~30, they don't offer Standard English, no point arguing if Standard or Advanced is better.

Well, I've got several months to work on English so I'd better start so it's less likely to jeopardize my chances of 94+. Gotta bust out some past papers.
You don't really have several months. Each internal assessment task should be important, and I doubt that your next assessment for English is far off.

bleakarcher

HSC
Yeh, this.
Also, in the hsc paper, it is paper 1 that most standard students screw up and where the advanced students gain the advantage. This is because the standard students also learn a greater variety of skills in English as well. So there are two reasons to pick advanced rather than standard- you are taught much more skills and techniques, giving you the advantage, AND aligning in advanced is much better.

pasta8

HSC
If you got Band 5 in Standard, you would've got Band 5 in Advanced.
Yeah you're probably right, but I had no idea at the time.. If I had to do the HSC again I would consider Advanced... I'm just saying it's not the worst thing in the world for your ATAR.

Yeah but the texts we used for those modules are in my opinion are a lot easier... I mean Educating Rita vs Cleopatra.. took me an hour to read Educating Rita. Anyway maybe they are closer in difficulty than I thought, but I find that silly that they would make them so.

Good point, unfortunately I didn't know that, sucks it aligns so badly.. why is that?

A bit off-topic but anyway: I find it unfair that's it's compulsory for yr 12 English and maths isn't.. someone who loves English and hates Maths will find it easier to get a good ATAR than the other way around.. I would have loved to choose Physics over English.. I know English is important but come on, you hardly learn anything valuable about it in year 12.. year 11 English is more than sufficient for those more interested in the sciences.

This. Advanced and standard scale the same but align differently - its the poor aligning that makes standard a bad subject choice.
Yeah the aligning is shite but it doesn't make a bad subject choice for everyone. For me: the cons of doing Advanced outweighed the pros. I didn't like Standard but it was bearable, by looking at my friends texts and the essays/assessments they had to do (trust me they were longer/more complicated).. I would have hated it... I could have done well in Advanced but I would have absolutely hated the process --> so for me that outweighed the possibility of getting a slightly higher ATAR.. but for some people that might be worth it.. personally not for me

Yeah but it can be fun... GOOD LUCK :)

pasta8

HSC
Come on guys! Standard is not the same (or nearly) difficulty than Advanced! An Advanced student would smash Standard! A lot of people who do standard don't even try that's why they do so bad overall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)