Can I juggle the two jobs? (1 Viewer)

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
I have a bit of a problem.

So right now I work at HJ's a few times a week (usually Wed and Fri, sometimes Thu too). I work between 9 and 15 hours per week, and usually earn less than $100.

I've been offered a job at Telstra as a call centre person, for up to 37.5 hours a week, which would then change to 25 when summer is over. When I applied they didn't tell me it would be that way. The problem is that I don't know how flexible these hours are, how many days I will be working, etc. What I know is that they operate: Mon-Thu. 12-8 and Fri 10-6.

What I'd like to do is change to casual at HJ's so I can get an almost decent pay rate, but because they're only open 10-10.30, my availability wouldn't be great. I really don't want to quit.

What should I do?

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
fnkychk said:
I have a bit of a problem.

So right now I work at HJ's a few times a week (usually Wed and Fri, sometimes Thu too). I work between 9 and 15 hours per week, and usually earn less than $100.

I've been offered a job at Telstra as a call centre person, for up to 37.5 hours a week, which would then change to 25 when summer is over. When I applied they didn't tell me it would be that way. The problem is that I don't know how flexible these hours are, how many days I will be working, etc. What I know is that they operate: Mon-Thu. 12-8 and Fri 10-6.

What I'd like to do is change to casual at HJ's so I can get an almost decent pay rate, but because they're only open 10-10.30, my availability wouldn't be great. I really don't want to quit.

What should I do?
take the telstra job, and then after you've been given your specific hours to work, tell hungry jacks if you can change your working times because you've idno...joined some course or something..make up something. this way you can have both jobs and earn well. :D

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
Thanks for your advice. I'll probably have to do a lot of calling in sick during the training until I find out.

How available does a casual person have to be? I thought there was a minimum like 'three shifts per week' or something.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
casual isn't that good, because for your new job at telstra, you'll have permanant shifts and working on a casual basis at hungry jacks means they can call you in at a variety of different times to work. you'd be better off sticking to part-time till you definately get the telstra job and then changing your part-time times..:S at HJ.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
fnkychk - Is that teletech at pennant hills? If so, I have heard horror stories from that place.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
It all depends on when your shifts are and the cash flow not really something the board members can decide for you although it can be done if needed so don't despair, also depends on your other commitments and how much time they take up during your weekly schedule.

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
fnkychk - Is that teletech at pennant hills? If so, I have heard horror stories from that place.
Is Pennant Hills in Sydney? I'm in Melbourne. What have you heard?

It all depends on when your shifts are and the cash flow not really something the board members can decide for you although it can be done if needed so don't despair, also depends on your other commitments and how much time they take up during your weekly schedule.
The worst time will be when I'm training at the new job, but not able to tell HJ's yet when I'll be available.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Ah ok, then it should be alrite. Just that teletech in sydney are really strict and unforgiving to staff, hence their fast staff turn over rate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)