Can I use pencil? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Is it possible to use pencil for drawing diagrams during HSC Mathematics, Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2?

On the front page, it only says that we are to use black or blue pen but I reckon I will need to use pencil to help me draw certain graphs.

I really appreciate any response (as long as they stay on topic). Thanks.

By the way, it will be great if you post up serious responses. This is a serious issue and decent posts are really appreciated.

bored of sc

HSC
Good question. As above, pen would be a safer bet. In maths you are doing sketches anyway, it's not like it needs to be really accurate and neat. But I understand where you are coming from. Pencil allows you to erase errors etc.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
Good question. As above, pen would be a safer bet. In maths you are doing sketches anyway, it's not like it needs to be really accurate and neat. But I understand where you are coming from. Pencil allows you to erase errors etc.
No, diagrams/sketches are extremely crucial in Mathemtics Extension 1 HSC. I have come across that new found knowledge recently. I have been doing all these questions and drawing a big, quality diagram/sketch is very important.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
they won't mark you down for using pencil, though highly advise against it.

in terms of drawing a sketch, if its within the question (ie. draw a diagram of the information/sketch the graph) then use pen, otherwise if its just to aid you do the question, there is no need for pens i don't think

bored of sc

HSC
lyounamu said:
No, diagrams/sketches are extremely crucial in Mathemtics Extension 1 HSC. I have come across that new found knowledge recently. I have been doing all these questions and drawing a big, quality diagram/sketch is very important.
Yes. You are right. Perhaps I should use more precise words.

By not accurate and neat I meant it does not have to be to scale (usually) and does not need to be a piece of artwork. I found this out the hard way by wasting time drawing circles, quadrilaterals and triangles using a ruler. I didn't finish the test and ended up doing badly in it.

Last edited:

H4rdc0r3

HSC
Wish the entire exam was in pencil, it makes me feel better.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
mathematics in pencil looks ugly anyways.

steffiiii

HSC
Although the exam does say write using only a blue or black pen, you can actually write in pencil - it's not like the maker is going to be like OMFG he/she used pencil. WRONG. a right answer in pencil is still right. it's obviously not advised, but if you draw a graph in pencil and use it for the rest of the question because you forget to change back (or you just find it more comfortable using pencil) they're not going to give you zero. In saying that, write in pen, use pencils for graphs.

studynz2008

HSC
Follow what was written on the instruction. It may affects your standing. Just draw carefully.

Just.Snaz

HSC
I draw with pencil, then go over it with pen. Works perfect.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am only going to use pencil for drawing..so it's fine?

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
Re: 回复: Can I use pencil?

Forbidden. said:
I used pen to draw my axes and pencil to draw my graph
thats what i do...and will continue to.

sparkerasp

HSC
If only teachers would get us used to doing maths in pen. There we were in year 7 to 10 being told off by teachers (who cared) when we did our maths in pen.

The first time I used pen in a maths exam was in my HSC Trials and I was bloody not used to it. I kept swapping pens cause I thought my lead was getting blunt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)