can my school force me to do 12 units? (1 Viewer)

stellar1987

Professional Retard
HSC
Hi. I have been doing 12 units for the preliminary year 11 course and now that i am going into year 12 i want to drop drama and go down to 10 units. i suck at drama and i don't think i'll be able to cope with it. i have applied to go down to 10 units and so have many other students in my class but the principal has made a new policy which says that you have to be on a minimum of 12 units and won't allow me to do 10 units. he said i can't drop drama unless i pick up an extension unit or another course. so basically i am being forced to do drama when i shouldnt have to do it if i don' want to. i thought the board of studies said there is a minimum of 10 units for year 12 and a minimum of 12 units for year 11. what gets me is that one of the teacher's kids is currently getting to do 10 units!!! this is not fair! is the school actually allowed to do this. i am at a private school. why should us students be forced to do courses we dont want to do...it should be our choice because it's our hsc, our future, not the principal's future!

gabn

HSC
basically it's a private school they can do what they like because they can easily tell you to go find another school. Just get your parents to see if they can do anything otherwise change schools and make a fuss about it as you leave..

Public schools give you a more free education anyway.... (free does not only reffer to cost)

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
the same is happening at my school
our new principle is not allowing anyone to drop down to 10 units unless you do a tafe course..therefore you can keep 12
its bullshit..
when we had to choose our principle was strict on dropping subjects and they made a huge fuss with parent interviews etc saying they strongly recommend we do not drop subjects
but its true they arent the ones who have to endure an extra year of a subject you might hate or suck at ...its our hsc and our future
dropping legal studies for me i think worked out a hell of a lot better then forcing myself to even go to class...
and if the board says you need 10 then they shouldnt be able to stop you...

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Easy solution, keep doing Drama but don't go to class and don't do any work. Because you have 10 other units it won't count. Surely other people won't be happy about this plan, get parents to ring up and complain.

There is really little point in doing 12 units. Most people I know who are doing 12 units are doing well in 10 units and just going average in the other 2. An extra subject is a waste of time.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
even at a private school, ppl should be worry about the ends, not the means...
being forced to do the extra 2 is stupid. just don't do well in it, until the school HAS to drop you. :)

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
why dont u maybe pick up a tafe course in what you are interested in.. i know people who picked up retail.. childreans services.. journalism and radio broadcasting and did it during their hsc
then you wont have to be doing drama and ull be doing something fun to fill up the spare time
though i think i might be a bit late to apply?

stace212

I did 12 units, and as much as it could be seen as a waste of time, I'm glad of it coz I'm pretty sure I failed maths, so my extra 2 units cover for it. It was my choice tho, I'd hate the choice to be taken off me, if the board says min 10 units, ur school should stick to that, instead of jeapordising ur HSC by making u keep a subject that will take up more time and effort that you could be putting into ur other subjects. I think it is too late to join many tafe courses, but I have a friend that took up a 2u one yr tafe course (floristry) instead of maths at bout this time last yr, and it worked out really well for her. It was an easy course so she got really good marks, boosting her UAI.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
stace212 said:
I did 12 units, and as much as it could be seen as a waste of time, I'm glad of it coz I'm pretty sure I failed maths, so my extra 2 units cover for it. It was my choice tho, I'd hate the choice to be taken off me, if the board says min 10 units, ur school should stick to that, instead of jeapordising ur HSC by making u keep a subject that will take up more time and effort that you could be putting into ur other subjects. I think it is too late to join many tafe courses, but I have a friend that took up a 2u one yr tafe course (floristry) instead of maths at bout this time last yr, and it worked out really well for her. It was an easy course so she got really good marks, boosting her UAI.
Thats exactly what I mean by wasting time doing an extra 2 units, you should of just not bothered with maths and done better in your other subjects.

astro

HSC
At my school they recommend people do >10 units....but they can't enforce it....

R

randhi

Is it forced in like Giraween.... i heard it somewhere that they are forced to do 12 units

BabySilver

HSC
Girraween is a load of crap though. they offered me a place with out sitting the selective schools exam. mulitple times! though i realise now that I should have gone, maybe i wold be doing better then I am now. But either way.. just don't go to class or gho to class, do work for other clases (like study/homework) and never do work for dram. that way they can't get you in trouble for attendence. but they will still have to drop you from the class due to the bad marks etc.

Also I know of at least one private school that doesn't allow students to drop units in grade 12 simply becase it gives them too many free periods. which is basically them covering there arses for students injured during travel to & from school or something... they actually put it on the letter to the parents about the 12 unit thing.

__emo__

HSC
N/A
No way! the school cant make you do nothin! i was in my prelim year, then now starting my year 12 year i droppped Business Studies, the school can only ADVISE that you do 12 units becuase its better for the UAI (or so they say) so tell then to shove it up their arse! becuase they cant stop you dropping!

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
At a private school they can suspend you for not rocking up to class, so whoever suggested it - that was a bad idea.

Just suck it down man or change schools. Drama is fun anyway, just enjoy it and don't do any work. You may find if youre doing poorly the school will encourage you to drop it later - because if you do badly you'll actually drag the whole class down scaling wise (since drama tends to have small classes at most schools).

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I think schools that force students to do extra units are just doing it as a precaution just in case, in my school you have to do 13 units in yr 11 or 12 if you pick and extension course. This has save many people as they have been able to drop a course. However many dropped a subject too quickly and now are stuck with a subject they dont want to do

spooky's.gal

HSC
i think i remember being told or reading somewhere that if you do 12 units and then dont show for the hsc exam that the BOS just take it to mean u have dropped the course. if you do this for the other 10 or for english u would be kinda screwed though. but yeah u could struggle through then not show up!
*NB as i said im not entirely sure, so dont do this then track me down and sue me!please!
or as has already been said, dont go to class, screw up ur assessments, and eventually they will have to make u leave the class.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
While you are at a private school and they do have much more control over you then the public school students i would suggest one thing: APPEAL TO THE BOARD.

do it this term too so that you don't have heaps of assessments and stuff. Apply on the grounds of discrimmination: the teachers kid gets to do 10, so either make that kid do twelve, or let everyone else do ten. I'll bet they'll let you all drop, cos after all, the minimum 10 unit rule is there for a reason.

Of course, you could do what the others have said and turn up to class but bludge, do no work and fail all asessments. Private schools are obessessed with marks and to have someone drag the candiature down so much -- they'll kick you out of there by half yearies for sure.

I would still recommend you make and appeal to the Board of Studies though. Their contact details would be on the website: www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au

lala2

Banned
HSC
You poor person! What a raw deal! Your parents pay for you to go to a private school and do whateva you want, so I don't see why they force you to do 12 units if you don't want to...I'd say, yeah, just tell the teacher you're not interested/thinking of dropping (if you're brave enough), and then just turn up to class but treat it like a free...some of my classmates who were dropping a subject at the end of Term 3 after exams did that. My tutor (school) said that yeah, some people were dropping out of his history class, and fine, just tick off the roll to make sure they're at school, then just sit quietly at the back and do whateva, just don't distract the class.

For us, our school is making us keep 12 units until the end of Term 4 just so that we can really test our subjects (cos Year 12 content is much more interesting and different to Year 11) and also because, if we drop to 10 or 11 units and regret dropping that subject, it'll be too hard to go back. So there's a whole group of people in my grade just hanging on with 12 units, hoping to drop to 10 or 11 the day Term 1 begins.

hope everything goes alright, let us know what happened, good luck

daydreamkitty

Love me hate me, meh.....
HSC
Hello
Unfortunatley I had to goto a girls school when i could have gone ot a public high school in the same suburb D'oh!

Anyway . This year i have had to take religion.......damn ..... and i am not even studying for it [it's tommorow:eek:]. It's not worth it and it's just made up anyway:p.Uhm Yeah the same problem applyied in my yr ...... the co ordinator the year before ( i had friends in the other year ) mentioned that they where allowed to drop to ten units......when we asked our co ordinator she said no way >.< I had to pick up stupid english extention, and it was in the afternoons too , till like 5:00pm just because i droped maths.....
glad thats over and done with!

And forward on the Bludging ideas ..... they will report you if you are missing too many classes...... i found out the hard way when taking time out of religion to do my DAT final work......but I only got a warning .....
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just do the work and anyway......... like for you it might be good .....either drop the unit and do something else i guess......

-Loui

7th Sign

HSC
suck to be at your school...just do drama and bludge and shit and when you get ya hsc mark they only mark your best 10 units

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)