Can someone distinguish between a "theme" and an "idea"? (1 Viewer)

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Because i'm very worried that my assignment may be entirely wrong.

Can someone give me straight out definition (and hopefully clarify is required) of both an idea and a theme?

This is due VERY soon, so time really is of essence. In fact, its paramount that i understand this, so please PLEASE respond. No matter how much you may dislike me.

ibewatto

HSC
my understanding is that in an english essay, which im assuming ur talking about, themes and ideas are effectively pretty much the same. but if you want to get technical a theme is a unified idea present in a text.... i dont no what you read but lets assume you havent been living under a rock and know about dracula, in this case themes include, subjugation of women, good vs evil etc. now an idea can be that, and is used pretty frequently i have found as the same thing, BUT an idea can be a thought of a composer embeded into the text and not really have much to do with the entirety of the text such as...harry potter has recurring themes of magic and strength of friendship and an idea in the text is harry potter has a lighting bolt scar coz JK Rowling couldnt think of anythin more cliche.

I have found themes can be anything, this took me a while to grasp, i was worried wat the fuck to write, but unlike techniques u can say anything at all, so long as u back it up.

Other words that may as well be themes: ideas, concepts, conventions

Hope that helped, if any1 finds anythin wrong with wat i said let me know i will be interested to find out wat you think and then not give a shit

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
That most certainly makes sense to me, and also means that what i've written is correct.

Being the worrisome critter that i am, however, i think confirmation from other sources are in order.

Text: BNW/BR.
Assignment due: Next Monday. On top of 2 more.

Hence, time is of essence.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Same thing, just make sure in an essay you're consistent and use whatever term the question uses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)