can someone please explain 'intertextuality' to me!!! (1 Viewer)

joanna 17

HSC
can someone please explain intertextuality to me...i dont understand what it is.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
The use of various "texts" within a text. "Texts" though, within the post-modernist phraseology can be assumed to be anything, whether they real people within a fictional work or simply textual references from another text.

A fairly clear and easy example would be within Brave New World which makes reference and is titled by a scene in The Tempest by Shakespeare. "O brave new world,. That has such people in't!" "

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
can also happen visually,
for example, in Bas Lurhmann's Moulin Rouge, where the lovers are on top of the elephant with their arms out... it's making an intertextual reference to other love tragedies such as James Cameron's the Titanic.

That was the first example ever given to me about intertextuality and I understood that instant.

Then you use this by saying the intertexual reference suggests parrallels such as that their love is pure, they're meant for each other but it will end tragically... stuff like that.

joanna 17

HSC
so, is this sentence right?

Intertextuality is the use of various "texts" within a text,a fairly clear and easy example would be within cluless when Cher makes reference Sandro Boticelli, by praising Tais bueaty to Elton saying, Tai is like "one of those Boticelli chicks".

im still not completly sure

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I have no idea since i seem to have some sort of immunity to finding trite Hollywood romantic comedy's entertaining in the slightest. Though i would suggest you work on your sentence structure which appears to be lacking. Grammer also. Follow the SEXY sequence which should simplify the process somewhat.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
Intertextuality is the technique where texts make reference to other texts - they might quote something from another text, or simply allude to.
Think of the simpsons - there are constant references to all sorts of things, the use of characters to portray real people, quotes from other texts etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)