Can teachers not tell you your class rank? (1 Viewer)

nitro.vo

HSC
I have a maths teacher and I think he is abit of an idiot becuase he nevers tells us the highest mark, lowest mark, average and our ranks after we do assessment tasks.

I was told that the teacher must tell you your rank but i dont know how true it is. I've asked him many times and he says "what does it matter? its your marks that matter, rank doesnt mean anything" (isnt it your rank that matters? i mean if the class gets similar marks by the end of the year, isnt it the ranking that differentiates you from everyone else?)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I don't think there is a hard and fast rule that says he HAS to tell you at this stage but it should be revealed when you get your half yearly and yearly reports definately.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
He is wrong in saying rankings do not matter. He probably does reserve the right not to tell you your rankings/other peoples marks, but why he'd want to is beyond me

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Hey man, my school NEVER reveals our ranks!!!! The only thing we get given is the course average in the reports and possibly the top mark and that's it. We never get our own individual ranks (not even in reports), so it's only guess work to where we are ranked. The only time we can ever know our ranks is if we ask everyone what they got or in the end when we check our assessment ranks in the Students Online BOS site after they've all been submitted. Apparently, I think the school's excuse is the "security of personal information" lol. Even if we ask the teacher for it, chances are they won't say it because it "implicitly reveals other people's marks".....

nitro.vo

HSC
my business studies teacher loves statistics, she gives out the median, mean, ranks etc.

I dont care what other people got,i just want to know where i sit in the class. If i know my rank, it will at least give me something to aim for (a certain higher rank). by not knowing, im not really motivated.

helper

HSC
N/A
The school must provide meaningful feedback to students on their performances in all assessment tasks.

If you are not receiving statistics, either mean and SD or ranks you could argue you aren't receiving this.

But looking at the ACE manual, it appears that you do no have to receive it until it is submitted to the board. Most schools do issue them for each task.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)