Can the school reject you/kick you out from a subject? (1 Viewer)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I've been reading some threads and lots of people are either saying:
Your teachers CAN stop you from doing a subject, if you're not doing well
Your teachers can only STRONGLY advise you to not to a subject

I've also heard you can take the issue up to the Board of Studies to appeal against your school?

Just wishing to clarify this (MX2!)

mailata

HSC
N/A
I'm also confused about this. I have a feeling some teachers are lying(they lied about the year 10 school certificate).

johony

HSC
youngminii said:
I've been reading some threads and lots of people are either saying:
Your teachers CAN stop you from doing a subject, if you're not doing well
Your teachers can only STRONGLY advise you to not to a subject

I've also heard you can take the issue up to the Board of Studies to appeal against your school?

Just wishing to clarify this (MX2!)

they can really only stop you from taking up extension (most likely ext 2, occasionally ext 1) subjects, but it depends on each school and their respective departments.

bubblesss

HSC
yep yep schools have the right to stop u ONLY if there is a valid reason.:cool:

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Everyone seems to be claiming that teachers have no right to stop an enrolment, but does anyone have any evidence of that? Where's the Board regulation or Act of Parliament? I've always assumed that the school can stop someone doing something arbitrarily, except of course in the cases of N determinations and so on. The school has no obligation to run the course in the first place, so why are they obliged to accept students if they do run the course?

chltmddus112

HSC
For public schools, teachers only can strongly advise u but in private schools, teachers can reject students from doing, for example 4 unit maths. Some of my friends got rejected for 4unit maths next year cuz they didn get good mark in 3u exam

polly12

HSC
we got told that you can only get kicked out for a disciplinary measure, generally if you have had n awards. If you dont meet the course requirements they can not let you go on.
At my school (public) they had to many people for ext.1 english so they culled the bottom of the class and only took the top 22, bu then parents complained and to more kids got in.
But really if you havent been aloud to do the course, or the school ha recomended you dont shouldnt you just pick something you are more suited too/capable of, instead of getting into a petty argument over being aloud, shouldnt you just maximise your makrs in the lower subject?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I need to know, so I can take the appropriate measures to secure a spot in MX2
Because (and I know, this is my fault) I only have 9 units for Year 12 without MX2

So it all ends up to either doing MX2 or Extension History
I would much rather do MX2..
Also, I heard there was a "correspondence" method where you learn outside school? If someone could give me some more information on that, that'd be great

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
They're not supposed to, but in reality they can, as bos won't really interfere with a school's jurisdiction in this matter. You should, however, still try and take it up with them. If you persist enough, I'm sure your school will budge.

Unfortunately OTEN (distance education) does not offer MX2 (see: http://www.oten.edu.au/otenweb/cils/6505CIL.pdf), and you can't do it by self-tuition if you're attending a school/tafe (see: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=176339). The only possibility I can think of is to do it at an actual on-campus TAFE if you can fit it around your school's timetable, that is if you can't do it at your school.

Last edited:

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
chltmddus112 said:
For public schools, teachers only can strongly advise u but in private schools, teachers can reject students from doing, for example 4 unit maths. Some of my friends got rejected for 4unit maths next year cuz they didn get good mark in 3u exam
Hmm, OK. I suppose public schools would have to abide by Department policies, whereas private schools could set their own policies. I go to a fairly independent Anglican school so I think my teachers have a lot more freedom in that regard.

Gracer09

HSC
well i dunno if this is the right topic and all
but if a teacher reckons your not putting effort and not handing up your assignments on time/ getting crappy marks they can send a complaint to the Board of Studies and they give u like a N-Award
if u get 3.. then you don't get the course or something like that...

my mate got one for IPT coz he hasn't handed up any assignments throughout this year..

also teachers can make recommendations for you to not continue the course.. if your pulling the class down and if they beleive that your not putting enough effort in

like my mate in legal studies, my legal teacher recommended him to drop legal cos she told him that he was gonna pull the class down

but i go to a private school.. so this could differ

:)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Gracer09 said:
well i dunno if this is the right topic and all
but if a teacher reckons your not putting effort and not handing up your assignments on time/ getting crappy marks they can send a complaint to the Board of Studies and they give u like a N-Award
if u get 3.. then you don't get the course or something like that...

my mate got one for IPT coz he hasn't handed up any assignments throughout this year..

also teachers can make recommendations for you to not continue the course.. if your pulling the class down and if they beleive that your not putting enough effort in

like my mate in legal studies, my legal teacher recommended him to drop legal cos she told him that he was gonna pull the class down

but i go to a private school.. so this could differ

:)
I can guess both the teacher and the student. lol

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Schools generally won't reject or kick you out of a subject unless they think you're not capable. I know at my school - they made it really hard to get into Adv English, Extension and Physics/Chem last year, and a lot of students will be dropping to standard from Adv English.

I've been told from my school that the Board of Studies gives the final decision to the principal of your school, so if you're at a private school, chances are you can get cut.

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
So much for the right to an education (studying what you desire/require).

My Advanced English teacher didn't want to say anything to one student in our Year 11 class, so she asked his closest friends to strongly advise him to drop down to Standard English for Year 12 as it would be in his best interest. He was seriously struggling, had unrealistic expectations and would not come to terms with the fact that he was no where near capable of doing well in that level of English. It was quite sad.

He did drop down, however.

ratcher0071

HSC
Re: Can the school reject you/kick you out from a subject?

When you choose subjects you can get rejected. I'm not sure about kicking out, they might give you a chance in Yr 11, probably not in Yr 12.

RocKetBoy

HSC
In my skewl, when they force u to drop, and u go against them, u just gotta get a note signed from parent and u can stay in subject lol >.> if u dun get signature from parent then u are forced to drop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)