Can they make me drop English Advanced? (1 Viewer)

DaveYoung

Awesome
HSC
At school the teachers are saying that students in Advanced English will have to change to English Standard if we don't get at least 80% on the yearly exam.

Now, 80% is more than I've ever gotten in an English exam (I usually get low 70's) and I very much doubt I'll reach this benchmark. Can they actually make me drop? Or in the end is it still my decision to stay in the Advanced course?

I realise that maybe the Advanced course isn't for me if I want to get a good UAI, but I am not intending to go to Uni at all, and I'm staying at school simply because I've been enjoying myself, and it'd be nice to say I completed school. I like Advanced, all my friends are in the class, and it's the smallest English class so we always have good discussions, and the texts we do in the HSC course are much better than before, and I already love Bladerunner...so it'd suck if I had to change to Standard.

DaveYoung

Awesome
HSC
zdzislaw said:
I don't know how they can say that...they can't actually enforce it.
Well thats good, although I reckon they'll strongly reccommend I move down at least -_-

ASDFGHJKL:""

HSC
DaveTurnbull said:
Well thats good, although I reckon they'll strongly reccommend I move down at least -_-
dont drop: i havent done any work this whole year and my half yearly was about 60%. Its a shit mark but my teacher wanted my to stay in advanced and thought id pick up in the hsc. I want to pick my marks in the hsc to around 80 anyway but it will take a lot of hard work.

Andrew375

HSC
ha lol!
they can't
they can recommend it
but you make da final decision
IF they do threaten and all that
Then ask parents 2 write da school a note saying
the school doesn't have 2 give resposibility for __________ in eng adv.
Maybe a bit more formal :p
but yea... once they see it... they won't say any more thing
BTW THIS WORKS ON EVERY SUBJECT AS WELL!:p

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
This is what I always say. If they recommend you to move down and have relatively good reasons, maybe they're right. Teachers are the ones who know how you are going and most of the time they will guide you in the right direction. But it's your decision, they're just a small obstacle.

I really dislike how you want to be in the same class as your friends and although it may be a good class and all, that's not exactly going to make you better at English. It's up to you to make an effort and if you believe that you will, by all means, do English Advanced. Just take into consideration what they say if they recommend you to move down.

DaveYoung

Awesome
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
I really dislike how you want to be in the same class as your friends and although it may be a good class and all, that's not exactly going to make you better at English. It's up to you to make an effort and if you believe that you will, by all means, do English Advanced. Just take into consideration what they say if they recommend you to move down.
Well anyways, the teacher said she didn't have a problem with me staying in the class, so it's all good.

Sonata

HSC
haha sort of the same thing happened to me, i didnt get pass the recommend % to do advance english. Teacher suggest that i do standard, so now im lost in what to do whether to take continue advance or standard

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
So with any subject the decision is ultimately yours if you want to move down, drop.. etc?
Can they actually force you to move down if you dont want to?

2700wrms

HSC
I advise you not to drop but if your're struggling and recieving well below averages, dropping should be considered, but legally they can not drop you to standard, as whatever subject you want to do is your personal choice, bar maths

oppsV

HSC
Sonata said:
haha sort of the same thing happened to me, i didnt get pass the recommend % to do advance english. Teacher suggest that i do standard, so now im lost in what to do whether to take continue advance or standard
i'm in the same situation as you are...
very lost indeed~

mzduxx2006

HSC
DaveTurnbull said:
At school the teachers are saying that students in Advanced English will have to change to English Standard if we don't get at least 80% on the yearly exam.

Now, 80% is more than I've ever gotten in an English exam (I usually get low 70's) and I very much doubt I'll reach this benchmark. Can they actually make me drop? Or in the end is it still my decision to stay in the Advanced course?

I realise that maybe the Advanced course isn't for me if I want to get a good UAI, but I am not intending to go to Uni at all, and I'm staying at school simply because I've been enjoying myself, and it'd be nice to say I completed school. I like Advanced, all my friends are in the class, and it's the smallest English class so we always have good discussions, and the texts we do in the HSC course are much better than before, and I already love Bladerunner...so it'd suck if I had to change to Standard.
from personal experience with a friend of mine who was put in the same position, she dropped it but she regreted it severly. In the end teachers can only "encourage" you to drop. its your choice. in my class people get below 50 and fail and they do advanced. so ur teachers are talking rubbish.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
As everyone says, it is your decision to stay or go. I have some Year 10 maths students who were told and heavily counselling (not by me) to not take Maths in Year 11 but 3 of them still did and one of those is taking Physics. It will be hard work for them, but they know that and are willing to put in the effort because they enjoy the subject.

I, myself, did German to HSC. I was very average (final HSC mark 65% for German when the rest of my marks were in the 90's and high 80's) but enjoyed it very much.

Another thing, and this could be me being cynical, and it should not factor into your decision at all. When there is a student who performs lower than others the final marks get stretched down to the lowest assessment mark and this can bring down students who are below the average. So, the teachers could be trying to "protect" the marks of some students, but if so this is being very selfish.

I chose to do General English when I did the HSC because I wanted to write stories and not study Chaucer or Jane Austin (depsite my teachers telling me I was capable of doing and should be doing Standard English ). I didn't listen to them, I listened to my heart and am grateful I did because I enjoyed my HSC English.

If Advanced English is your passion then stick with it.

(BTW I am now fluent in German and seeking publication with my novels! So there you go.)

HSC
It is up to tthe school to do what is best for the other students. If you do badly in your english exam in the HSC, everyones UAI gets brought down for that course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)