Can Uac decline to give you and offer if... (1 Viewer)

swoozie

HSC
Can UAC decline to give you an offer if you fall below the required ATAR but there are plenty of placements left in a course?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Can UAC decline to give you an offer if you fall below the required ATAR but there are plenty of placements left in a course?
It's up to the university.

The cut-offs you see reported represent the lowest ATAR of a successful entrant. If there's a note stating that there are vacancies, then that implies that there are positions still available.

Unless you have inside information, you don't if a university has artificially capped entries.

swoozie

HSC
lets just say that this course has plenty of places left, wouldnt they want more students so the uni can get more money?

Weeber

HSC
N/A
lets just say that this course has plenty of places left, wouldnt they want more students so the uni can get more money?
Would people want to study at a university that is easy to get in to?

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
this. on the second round i got a placement @ macq yet there were supposed to be no vacancies... now to my looks macq seems cheap :p don't really wanna go there

swoozie

HSC
yes, i would rather go to a uni that i like instead of going to one that i dont like becuase it is difficult to get into

Weeber

HSC
N/A
yes, i would rather go to a uni that i like instead of going to one that i dont like becuase it is difficult to get into
What has the difficulty of admission got to do with liking a particular University?

swoozie

HSC
What has the difficulty of admission got to do with liking a particular University?
the guy said that "Would people want to study at a university that is easy to get in to?" implying that they shouldnt go to a uni that they applied to because it easy to get into

D94

HSC
N/A
For the great majority of courses, there's no such thing as a required ATAR. You don't meet a cut-off mark, you are competing for a position. If the uni only offers 5 spots, and 6 people apply where their ATARs are 99, 98, 97, 96 and 95, then 95 becomes the published cut-off. The 6th student with an ATAR of 94 won't get an offer. 6 people are competing for 5 spots, they are not trying to meet an ATAR cut-off.

Unless the uni has specified a minimum cut-off (such as UNSW with the minimum of 80), then so long as there are spots available, you will get an offer. Maybe the uni has other criteria, but I'm sure this would have been in the news if a uni discriminated based on something other than your ATAR (for the courses that only require an ATAR - not talking about courses that have portfolios/performances/interviews etc.).

Weeber

HSC
N/A
the guy said that "Would people want to study at a university that is easy to get in to?" implying that they shouldnt go to a uni that they applied to because it easy to get into
I honestly doubt anyone's first preference was UWS unless it was for a universal degree (i.e. medicine or law, and trust me there are no placements for these by the end of main round). Also I never implied people "shouldn't go to a uni that they applied to because it is easy to get into", they wouldn't "want" to if given the choice.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
From a quick google search, they do not appear to have a minimum ATAR requirement.
Like sirable said, they have had a minimum ATAR requirement of 69 for a while now - that requirement must also be met for any form of bonus marks to be awarded.

D94

HSC
N/A
Like sirable said, they have had a minimum ATAR requirement of 69 for a while now - that requirement must also be met for any form of bonus marks to be awarded.
Yep, I stand corrected. Just saw that in the UAC guide.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I honestly doubt anyone's first preference was UWS unless it was for a universal degree (i.e. medicine or law, and trust me there are no placements for these by the end of main round). Also I never implied people "shouldn't go to a uni that they applied to because it is easy to get into", they wouldn't "want" to if given the choice.

Probably half the students at my school have UWS as their first preference because it is close to where they live and they will be comfortable there - yes even students with ATARs over 90 have it as their first preference - just as students in the country put down UNE or CSU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)