Can ur stupid class hurt you? (1 Viewer)

H. Caulfield

HSC
im sitting hsc next year ands wandering if a class who get llow marks can noticably hurt your high marks?
i.e. my business class are pretty stupid, and im topping it at 84%. yeah very stupid
plus this chik sed her 95 got brought down to 90 coz of her class:mad1:

Azurie

HSC
H. Caulfield said:
im sitting hsc next year ands wandering if a class who get llow marks can noticably hurt your high marks?
i.e. my business class are pretty stupid, and im topping it at 84%. yeah very stupid
Aslong as your rank 1st, they won't affect you

HSC
yeah you cant get brought down if you are rank 1st in assessments and first in external mark... noob

PS LOL

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
H. Caulfield said:
Only the people above you can affect you.

btw good book Catcher in the Rye

Yamiyo

HSC
H. Caulfield said:
That means her "dumb class" beat her in the internal assessments... as long as that doesn't happen (which it shouldn't, if they are stupid, as you say) they won't affect you.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
actually it does affect you.

throughout the year up to and including trials it's good for you to have a stupid class and be comign first.
but in the hsc, you're up against other schools, not just your own class.
this means two things:

1. cos your class held you back you may not have reached your full potential etc.
this is highly debatable and depends on the person.

2. in the actual hsc, the BoS not only considers your individual mark, but also pools marks from your school and divies them back out according to rank and standard deviation.
the mark you get back is a 50-50 combo of these marks.
this allows the BoS to compare schools and rank them, because being first in one school isn't necessarily as good as being first in another.
if your class is dumb, your pooled marks will be lower and whilst you'll still get more marks than anyone else in your class, it might not be as high as if you'd been in another school.
say if there's 10 people in your class and the pool marks are a total of 700, you might get 82 for coming first.
but if the pool of marks was higher, say 850, it'd bring the average up and you'd still have to be first (or close to it) so your mark would now be 90.

best option is to give out notes and help to others after the trials.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
moll. said:
actually it does affect you.

throughout the year up to and including trials it's good for you to have a stupid class and be comign first.
but in the hsc, you're up against other schools, not just your own class.
this means two things:

1. cos your class held you back you may not have reached your full potential etc.
this is highly debatable and depends on the person.

2. in the actual hsc, the BoS not only considers your individual mark, but also pools marks from your school and divies them back out according to rank and standard deviation.
the mark you get back is a 50-50 combo of these marks.
this allows the BoS to compare schools and rank them, because being first in one school isn't necessarily as good as being first in another.
if your class is dumb, your pooled marks will be lower and whilst you'll still get more marks than anyone else in your class, it might not be as high as if you'd been in another school.
say if there's 10 people in your class and the pool marks are a total of 700, you might get 82 for coming first.
but if the pool of marks was higher, say 850, it'd bring the average up and you'd still have to be first (or close to it) so your mark would now be 90.

best option is to give out notes and help to others after the trials.
False moll, if you come first internally, no matter what the top external mark is your internal mark. you keep your external mark. if i come first in a school ranked 600 and get 98 as my external mark - I get 98 as my internal as well, leading to a 98 final HSC mark.

The pool of marks are stretched out after placing the first and last marks of the internal cohort.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
fair enough.
though i wish someone else had pointed this out, not you tommy.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
moll. said:
fair enough.
though i wish someone else had pointed this out, not you tommy.
haha i was going to tell you on MSN but you're not online.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
yeah, so you decided to embarass me publicly.
cheers.

runnable

HSC
tommy but did you consider that what if you did not do well in externals. Then you would receive your crap external mark, along with the "highest" of your year's external mark as your internal mark. That would be messed up.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Can ur stupid class hurt you?

runnable said:
tommy but did you consider that what if you did not do well in externals. Then you would receive your crap external mark, along with the "highest" of your year's external mark as your internal mark. That would be messed up.
of course, but realistically speaking, the person coming first internally often comes first externally too (especially in a big cohort, he/she wouldn't randomly get average in the grade in the external exam).

runnable

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Can ur stupid class hurt you?

tommykins said:
of course, but realistically speaking, the person coming first internally often comes first externally too (especially in a big cohort, he/she wouldn't randomly get average in the grade in the external exam).
Yea well theres always a chance of messing up @ externals. I know for a fact that my school's first in Economics (internal) did not get the highest in externals. By like 3-4 marks.

Genshin

HSC
I don't think half of my Business Studies class can spell "Business Studies", also my teacher looks like paddle pop lion - I am not kidding ;D!

I think I should get special consideration or something XD

Evilo

HSC
H. Caulfield said:
I don't think you'll get 'high marks' with spelling like that, but good-luck anyway.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
According to my Biology teacher, one person fucking up their marks can fuck up everyone else's marks since external examinations are a group based performance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)