car advice (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
mines the 'new' shape, and shiny...so im guessing around 95. most of the ones you see before that are the old-school shape with matt paint.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Ford Fairmont, 95ish model. Can get one for about 3k drive away, they look orite to, get u from A to B. I'd say get an LPG tank with the rest of the cash they are way cheaper if u tune ur car right otherwise she'll b suckin more LPG than fuel which is really a bad thing lol

SlipStream

HSC
natstar said:
Why arnt auto's decent?
There is nothing wrong with a slushbox. People just buy manuals for four main reasons: a) more fun to drive, b) generally cheaper than autos, c) faster than autos, d) social benefits (manuals are cooler, or so it seems).

However, manuals also have their downfalls. Anyone who owns one and lives in a city will know that they absolutely SUCK in traffic. They wear quicker than autos, with the clutch element that - depending on driver habits - can wear very quickly - equalling $$$. Autos are slightly easier on fuel than manuals because they only use the necessary revs. Autos can tow a lot more than manuals. And of course the biggest reason people buy autos: laziness. Hey! I'm not saying that that's a bad thing! Changing gears is a bum sometimes.

They both have their ups and downs. However, manuals are generally common with car buffs and more skilled drivers (changing gears is a big skill). Autos are for the greater population. If you have an auto, it is likely that your automobile is more of transport than a car you can love.

I'm a manual guy, myself.

LoUiE SmOoiE

valentines day sux
HSC
u could get a decent commodore vl, vk
a corolla...
a old skyline...
old ford falcone...
old pulsar...

u could get sumfing decent enough for 5k....5k is a fair amount..

VX1-08U

LoUiE SmOoiE said:
u could get a decent commodore vl, vk
a corolla...
a old skyline...
old ford falcone...
old pulsar...

u could get sumfing decent enough for 5k....5k is a fair amount..
From that list, I would go either a corolla or pulsar, all that you need to get you from A to B ... vk commodore is too old, and the old holden 3.3ltr straight six ain't exactly fuel efficient . VL are pretty good if you can find one in good condition, they use a 3.0ltr fuel-injected straight six engine from the R31 skyline putting out around 112kw (less now due to age, but more than enough still for everyday driving) ... I don't like old ford falcons, but i'm bias, being a holden supporter.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
my first car is a 84 Ford XE. i love it to death but my god it just eats up the petrol. little tip, dont get a big car that takes a lot of fuel!!! most young people dont have a olot of money so you begin to borrow money of your old's just for petrol money!! damn i wish i had a smaller car :(

SlipStream

HSC
Why don't you just sell it and get a smaller car?

XE Falcon... depending on how many kays it has, you'd probably get around $2k to $2500 for it. You might be lucky to sell it to some bozo for $3000.

Then perhaps a mid to late eighties Holden Astra. Nice and fuel efficient - easy to love! :)

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
hmmm dunno about that car BreaKing, but i do know that my car is pretty leet :D 92 pulsar !! (her name is Molly :)) ummm it was about the 5k mark, very good condition ... drives really well and is pretty damn economic when it comes to petrol. when you're looking around if u can take someone whos either good with cars or is a mechanic, i did that ... and thus didnt waste any time cus the guy i went round with could pic the shit ones out pretty quick + i didnt have to waste money doing the nrma check thing. oh yeah ... and when u are buying ... get all the details u need and do the REVS test online !!!!

gl man :p

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
SlipStream said:
Why don't you just sell it and get a smaller car?

XE Falcon... depending on how many kays it has, you'd probably get around $2k to $2500 for it. You might be lucky to sell it to some bozo for $3000.

Then perhaps a mid to late eighties Holden Astra. Nice and fuel efficient - easy to love! :)
yeah well my parents bought it from thsi old man and the car was his absolute pride and joy. it hardly ever left his garage. so there was nothing on it. at the moment, the odometer ses 164000 but the gauge is actually stuck. it hasnt rolled around since we got it and i bet its done triple that.

having said that, you wont fine another '84 XE with less km's on it. its still low k's for its age. and about the selling thing, i dont even think it would go for $1000! i thrash the thing. scrapeda pole once by accident! but no biggie there, umm i just reckon its about to die. lol. so i wouldnt be able to afford a smaller, more fuel efficient car with the money i'd get from selling it.

besides, i love it to dam nmuch to part with.

SlipStream

HSC
shellybelly087 said:
the odometer ses 164000 but the gauge is actually stuck. it hasnt rolled around since we got it and i bet its done triple that.
SlipStream said:
Ohh ok... I didn't know it had that many kays on it...
DaddyK said:
164000 k's is low...especially for an older model like the XE!
shellybelly087 said:
the odometer ses 164000 but the gauge is actually stuck. it hasnt rolled around since we got it and i bet its done triple that.
Soak up all the post, DaddyK. Of course 164k isn't much.

"i bet its done triple that."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)