Career Advice - Law at UWS (1 Viewer)

scotthill

scotthill
HSC
Is it worth it?
how do employers view UWS law graduates?
job prospects/ rates for graduates?

apprantley according to The National Graduation careers Destination survey approx. 75 per cent of law students at UWS find a job within 4 months

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Re: law at UWS`

PM member LaraB or Johnathan_A... they can give u a student's opinion.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Re: law at UWS`

*sigh* prepare for flamming and personal attacks.

I can't really say what people think as I am not an employer, I havent studied law at any of the unis yet and may be biased in my opinion since I will be going to uws :D

Scotthill it seems that you answered your own question, you posted the figures so what do they tell you? I will be starting Law at UWS this year and I have come to the conclusion that no one really knows how employers will react to a UWS law graduate unless you walk up to some employers ask them and analyse the findings. If law is what you really want to do and UWS is where you can do it then why not? There is always the option of transfering out if you don't like it or fear your chances for future employment will be affected.

However you have to remember that all the compulsary units of law obviously must be studied, thus no matter where you go you will be studying the same things. Good luck with your decision and I'll see you at UWS if you decide to study law there :)

Oh and by the way, regardless of which uni you go to not all law grads find a job in the legal industry, they often branch into many other fields :uhhuh: In fact I remember it was quite a signifiant proportion

Last edited:

Jonathan A

HSC
Re: Law at UWS

I will agree that some UWS Law Students are lazy and only want to pass, and put no extra effort. The reality is, if you want to be in the 75%, you need to ensure a good academic record and commitment to your future and study. Some don't care which detriments their career. It should not be indicative of the university as a whole.

= Jennifer =

HSC

Law at UWS is definately worth it!! they have a great teaching structure and I love it! I have spoken to people in the law industry and many say the same thing it doesnt matter what uni you come from just as long as you have good marks and are willing to work your way up you should have no problems.

Think about it, when a student from UWS finishes their degree and a student from another uni finishes their degree the only difference between them is the electives they have chosen. They are both qualified to do law college and are both able to become lawyers.

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
^ :rolleyes: well from what I have seen on open day the guys aren't half bad either :p at least better than USYD or UNSW
*Transfers to UWS*

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC

melsc said:
^ :rolleyes: well from what I have seen on open day the guys aren't half bad either :p at least better than USYD or UNSW
Oh, come on - where do you go to cruise the chaps at USyd? You've obviously hung around those 'ugly' parts of the campus ... you should pop over for afternoon tea sometime in reflected light of the Bank Building or at the gyms, or Holme, or Science Road - the guys are hawt and the ladies aren't half bad either.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

ManlyChief said:
Oh, come on - where do you go to cruise the chaps at USyd? You've obviously hung around those 'ugly' parts of the campus ... you should pop over for afternoon tea sometime in reflected light of the Bank Building or at the gyms, or Holme, or Science Road - the guys are hawt and the ladies aren't half bad either.
I'll visit one day and you can show me where to find all the hawties :)
Maybe I have a bad first impression since I only visited certain areas on Open Day, like engineering, law and med with my friends...all the nerds :p

L

LaraB

scotthill said:
Is it worth it?
how do employers view UWS law graduates?
job prospects/ rates for graduates?

apprantley according to The National Graduation careers Destination survey approx. 75 per cent of law students at UWS find a job within 4 months
man these threads always start shit fights so i'll make it short..

there are plenty of job opportunities out there... if you wanna end up being a senior partner at one ofthe top 5 or so firms in teh country you probably won't get there if you go to uws... but... the chances of getting those jobs are soooo slim regardless of where you go anyways...

there are countless firms who will be more than happy to hire uws grads... and they cover a lot of areas (i'm talking about law firms btw - not "law related work" coz that covers such a huuuuuge area and you'd definitely get a job somewhere if you just want 'law related':)) from family to ER to Crim to Civil litigation to workers comp to environment etc... you get the idea:p

it just comes down to what you wanna do with it... if you're hell bent on working at a particular one of the so called "top firms" then uws may not be the best polace for you but if you don't, there is absolutely nothing wrong with uws...

that said - also it depends on if you're doing combined what you're doing for that coz eg - if you're into int studies, no way would you come to uws:) if you're into communications, uws is a definite lol:p... arts is a bit iffy - depends on the major.. business - same thing here..

HSC

melsc said:
heh, melsc, hopefully you'll have better luck than me! ;)

damn it, i knew i transferred to the wrong uni!

they should have this info in the prospectus! Maybe one of us should write "The Good Guide To Guys in Uni" :D

L

LaraB

charlie_charlie said:
heh, melsc, hopefully you'll have better luck than me! ;)

damn it, i knew i transferred to the wrong uni!

they should have this info in the prospectus! Maybe one of us should write "The Good Guide To Guys in Uni" :D
only problem with that is they're only good until they open their mouths to speak :rolleyes: lol...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)