Careers with Advanced Science? (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I plan to study for Bachelor of Science (Advanced) next year at the University of Sydney and quite a number of people have asked what careers or jobs can arise from this degree. The only thing I can think of at the moment is research...lol. What others are there?

Also, some poeple advised me to combine it with some Commerce degree because they reckon doing the Science degree by itself results in a low job prospect and by combining with Commerce the prospect of a good job/career is higher because of that business/economics related field. However, I'm not exactly into this Commerce/Economics related field (NB: I didn't do Economics or any Commerce related subjects other than SC Geography at school...lol) and I think I probably won't be able to cope with it anyway because I'm more of a Science-Mathematics type of person. I have no idea what I'll end up becoming in the future but it's likely to be Science-Mathematics based. I would much prefer to stick to a single science degree, but this low job prospect thing seems to be of some concern so I would also like to ask if what these people said are true to any extent?

tennille

HSC
The science field is growing, due to technology advancements and the like, and as a result, there are many career opportunities available. I'm currently doing advanced science and I'm planning to do uni lecturing as well as research, in either chemistry or biochemistry.

You could always work with a company, which doesn't necessarily involve research (eg. Caltex or a pharmaceutical industry that designs drugs). All science jobs will have some sort of research, but it's not as bad as it sounds. People make it out to be all theoretical- research would clearly involve some trials, which would mean you'd have to do experiments and all.

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
Yeah it's too early to worry about jobs. Just do what you are interested in. Science graduates are in high demand in "non-conventional" industries such as management consulting, because our research and problem solving skills are far more superior. If you do maths/stats and/or physics, you may well find a nice job in the finance industry where quantitative skills are a scare resource. I changed majors and directions a couple of times before I settled down to what I am doing today. And I can tell you I've got a pretty cool finance related job that most commerce graduates cannot get their hands onto. So just keep career in mind and go with what you love and are good at doing :)

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
Trebla.... I'm in EXACTLY the same situation as you. wow. good to see there are others out there with the same concerns.

I'm actually currently thinking of doing a post graduate course onto of BSc(Advanced), maybe Med or Dent, but that all depends on if I get accepted into it, so I suppose I need to consider where BSc(Adv) can take me. I'm thinking about becoming a lecturer... What's the pay and style of life like for Uni lecturers?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
yea
i did adv sci for 2 years and do med now
i dont regret studying science at all
teaches you a lot
like desensitising yourself from jigging physics and chem lectures and finding ways to finish off your math2902 assignment without actually looking at the questions etc.
in all honestly, it's changed the way i think in situations and i can analyse things more systematically and logically

the fact that career prospects for science grads is hazy makes it a double edged sword. Pessimisstic people say 'you can't get a job, you're fucked science nerd haha rotflol lmao'. However, it opens you up to the world in job prospects. You have so many options to choose at the end of your degree. True you're probably useless after your 3 year degree, but you can choose to study a little more in any field. ie. honours, masters in commerce, med/dent/law watever and it'll all be worthwhile.

Don't think of the extra 3 years as a waste of time because you'll have a lifetime regretting not taking the road less travelled (hehe)

(i don't regret studying for those 2 years. I didn't even graduate or get to show anything for those 2 years, but it was still worthwhile)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)