• I don't drive

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • What's an AXA?

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters

Patricio

UNSW Member
Originally posted by VX1-08U
Wonder what would happen if you in 2nd gear in tiptronic mode at 5000rpm and flick the lever in the - direction. Would it go into 1st and lockup? Tiptronics will get better over time, as it is just a recent development.
My car has an electronic auto (a cross between an auto and tiptronic - you go through all the gears from 1-4 if you want, there's no - or + flick thing), but it's instant (works a lot better than my mates' tiptronics where there's a delay). If I'm in 2nd at 5000rpm (that would be 105 km/h), and put it into 1st (which doesn't rev limit until around 75km/h), then it would be smashing against the rev limiter when it goes to 1st (ie way past redline), and would considerably slow down the car (but I don't think it'd lock up - at least it couldn't in my car). I was slowing down from a high speed once, and shifted down to 1st and it slowed that quick it made me feel a bit sick (though it didn't lock-up) so I've never done it since. I don't know why you'd wanna do that though :eek:

Performance might be closer, but can't be too good for the driveline and brakes if done all the time.
Same with the dumping of the clutch, a method used when the reviewers test manual cars. And I dunno.. are you sure it's bad for the driveline and brakes? In theory you only do it for about 1 second max before take-off, so you power the wheels with the rev (I have a 2500 stall :D ), and I can feel the pressure on the brakes, but wouldn't that be the same as though you were slowing down from 100 or something?

VX1-08U

Originally posted by Patricio
My car has an electronic auto (a cross between an auto and tiptronic - you go through all the gears from 1-4 if you want, there's no - or + flick thing), but it's instant (works a lot better than my mates' tiptronics where there's a delay). If I'm in 2nd at 5000rpm (that would be 105 km/h), and put it into 1st (which doesn't rev limit until around 75km/h), then it would be smashing against the rev limiter when it goes to 1st (ie way past redline), and would considerably slow down the car (but I don't think it'd lock up - at least it couldn't in my car). I was slowing down from a high speed once, and shifted down to 1st and it slowed that quick it made me feel a bit sick (though it didn't lock-up) so I've never done it since. I don't know why you'd wanna do that though :eek:
I was just wondering that's all, as it can't be too healthy when in tiptronic mode and you accidentially flick the lever - at high revs. I reckon they should have a safemode (if they haven't already), where if you doing a certain rpm (say almost redline), and decide to change back a gear, the computer just ignores the command, and switch to D, despite the position of the gear-shifter. I think in some electronic autos (as in the commo I believe, haven't tried it tho), if you leave it in say 1st gear, the gearbox automatically goes up a gear when you're near/on redline, while the shifter remains in 1st. The beauty of technology...

Slowing down from high speed? Coppers? It's good to do when you don't want the brake lights to come on I guess, but not to the extent where you get sick from rapid deceleration. What's that called anyway when you shift back a gear to slow down, compression braking?

Same with the dumping of the clutch, a method used when the reviewers test manual cars. And I dunno.. are you sure it's bad for the driveline and brakes? In theory you only do it for about 1 second max before take-off, so you power the wheels with the rev (I have a 2500 stall :D ), and I can feel the pressure on the brakes, but wouldn't that be the same as though you were slowing down from 100 or something?
If your slowing down from 100, your not accelerating at the same time, hence the driveline is not under pressure (as it is not doing any work), just the brakes. Around the 2'ish grand should be alright, unlike the 6 grand launches they put the WRX through in reviews, now there is no way you can tell me that is healthy.

Last edited:

Patricio

UNSW Member
I was just wondering that's all, as it can't be too healthy when in tiptronic mode and you accidentially flick the lever - at high revs. I reckon they should have a safemode (if they haven't already), where if you doing a certain rpm (say almost redline), and decide to change back a gear, the computer just ignores the command, and switch to D, despite the position of the gear-shifter. I think in some electronic autos (as in the commo I believe, haven't tried it tho), if you leave it in say 1st gear, the gearbox automatically goes up a gear when you're near/on redline, while the shifter remains in 1st. The beauty of technology...
Well in my electronic auto, you can rev it to around 6500-6700rpm and it won't shift up if you are using the manual shift. It's got that 'Hold' function, which basically means, it will hold whatever gear you put it in, no matter what the rpm.

Slowing down from high speed? Coppers? It's good to do when you don't want the brake lights to come on I guess, but not to the extent where you get sick from rapid deceleration. What's that called anyway when you shift back a gear to slow down, compression braking?
I forgot about the police - good idea. I think you got that right, it's called compression braking, and often it results in compression lockup.

your slowing down from 100, your not accelerating at the same time, hence the driveline is not under pressure (as it is not doing any work), just the brakes. Around the 2'ish grand should be alright, unlike the 6 grand launches they put the WRX through in reviews, now there is no way you can tell me that is healthy.
Another good point about the driveline. Are the 6K launches on the WRXs in the reviews on manuals right? There's no way a car would come stock with a 6K RPM stall on it's auto box!

VX1-08U

Well in my electronic auto, you can rev it to around 6500-6700rpm and it won't shift up if you are using the manual shift. It's got that 'Hold' function, which basically means, it will hold whatever gear you put it in, no matter what the rpm.
Bet that comes in handy ..

Another good point about the driveline. Are the 6K launches on the WRXs in the reviews on manuals right? There's no way a car would come stock with a 6K RPM stall on it's auto box! [/B]
Yeah, the 6k launches were in manual. It was in motor or wheels a couple of months back, said something about 2k - 3k launches did not provide good enough 400m times for the WRX, hence did a 6k launch which cut the time by a sec or so - don't quote me on that. Being AWD, don't think wheelspin would be too much of a problem at 6k launches. Don't think they make 6K stall for auto, most I seen is a 4k.

Patricio

UNSW Member
Yeah, the 6k launches were in manual. It was in motor or wheels a couple of months back, said something about 2k - 3k launches did not provide good enough 400m times for the WRX, hence did a 6k launch which cut the time by a sec or so - don't quote me on that. Being AWD, don't think wheelspin would be too much of a problem at 6k launches. Don't think they make 6K stall for auto, most I seen is a 4k.
It's funny, most people I know with AWD (that don't have a Mazda/Nissan GTR or Evos) take it VERY easy on the launch (cos they don't wanna blow a gearbox) - even WRX boxes aren't that strong. I wouldn't bother having an AWD car if I couldn't launch it now and then, cos that's one of their best features!

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I've heard the MY03 WRX gearbox is pretty good. It's the older ones - I think the 98/99 models?? - which have the gearboxes which tend to break.

Dumping the clutch is sometimes better than burning it :D

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
with continuous hard launches any gearbox will have issues :)

Patricio

UNSW Member
Originally posted by anti
I've heard the MY03 WRX gearbox is pretty good. It's the older ones - I think the 98/99 models?? - which have the gearboxes which tend to break.

Dumping the clutch is sometimes better than burning it :D
I like the MY03 WRX (except for maybe the letterbox on the bonnet), 0-100 in 5.7 secs. That's pretty fast for the base WRX!

with continuous hard launches any gearbox will have issues :)
I disagree! Try stalling an auto box (NOT revving in neutral and putting it in drive), and I don't think the stock stalls would let you bust a gearbox easily, even after 100s of launches they won't give up..
In terms of manual..the Skyline GTR and Evo gearboxes are meant to be nearly invincible ;)
But as with most things, you get what you pay for..

VX1-08U

I disagree! Try stalling an auto box (NOT revving in neutral and putting it in drive), and I don't think the stock stalls would let you bust a gearbox easily, even after 100s of launches they won't give up.. In terms of manual..the Skyline GTR and Evo gearboxes are meant to be nearly invincible ;) But as with most things, you get what you pay for..
hmm, how about if I'm doing 20kms/h in D and chuck it in reverse?
Any part that is stock has been through extensive R&D, hence is will work without any major problems, even if thrashed. When you go aftermarket, in many cases this is where the problems begin. E.g. Many hi-stalls (or any stall other than the stock stall) in autos heat up the transmission fluid extensively, as the stock gearbox was not designed with a hi-stall coverter in mind, thus damages the gearbox. Hope you have a transmission cooler Pat.

I would expect nothing less from the Skyline and Evo gearboxes.

Patricio

UNSW Member
hmm, how about if I'm doing 20kms/h in D and chuck it in reverse?
Hey lets not be silly we're not all Paul Walker in 2F2F you know :(

Any part that is stock has been through extensive R&D, hence is will work without any major problems, even if thrashed. When you go aftermarket, in many cases this is where the problems begin. E.g. Many hi-stalls (or any stall other than the stock stall) in autos heat up the transmission fluid extensively, as the stock gearbox was not designed with a hi-stall coverter in mind, thus damages the gearbox. Hope you have a transmission cooler Pat
I don't have a transmission cooler - why not? Cos my car came stock with a 2500 stall :D
Although, if I did transplant the turbo engine in (which I was going to do), the transmission cooler was part of the plan.

VX1-08U

Hey lets not be silly we're not all Paul Walker in 2F2F you know :(
hahaha, true ... it will always be the dream.

I don't have a transmission cooler - why not? Cos my car came stock with a 2500 stall :D
Although, if I did transplant the turbo engine in (which I was going to do), the transmission cooler was part of the plan.
What car do you have anyway? ... I'm guessing either a Mazda/Eunos or a Ford.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I like the MY03 WRX (except for maybe the letterbox on the bonnet), 0-100 in 5.7 secs. That's pretty fast for the base WRX!

I disagree! Try stalling an auto box (NOT revving in neutral and putting it in drive), and I don't think the stock stalls would let you bust a gearbox easily, even after 100s of launches they won't give up..
In terms of manual..the Skyline GTR and Evo gearboxes are meant to be nearly invincible ;)
But as with most things, you get what you pay for..

LOL agree about the letterbox thing. i was in my friend's and it just blocks your vision :| it surprises me how people who sit habib style can see over the scoop!

oh, true, but then the GTR and Evo were probably made to be thrashed more than the average driver could possibly thrash :D I think with the right skills someone could break one. :)

Speaking of thrashing gearboxes, I still cringe when I think of the journo who broke a GT2. :(

Patricio

UNSW Member
What car do you have anyway? ... I'm guessing either a Mazda/Eunos or a Ford.
a Platinum Ghia (that's it's name - a joint venture between Ford and Mazda).. similar to an Aus laser, but like how Nissan had its Sileighty, in that it came stock with the front and back from different model laser/323s, but looks really good together - imo best of both worlds! and with a better engine + gearbox + paint (only available in metallic silver) than a normal laser..

LOL agree about the letterbox thing. i was in my friend's and it just blocks your vision :| it surprises me how people who sit habib style can see over the scoop!
hehe.. how short are you - It's not that big!!! (You make it sound like those muscle cars with half the engine/intake coming out of the bonnet.. I don't think it's that bad unless you wanna stare at the 1-2 metres in front of the car on the street.. When I drive, I look more ahead of me :p

oh, true, but then the GTR and Evo were probably made to be thrashed more than the average driver could possibly thrash :D I think with the right skills someone could break one. :)
Skills? Just dump it at rev cut (not redline!) for a day..and flat shift at EVERY gearchange.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)