Casual and Part Time (1 Viewer)

galadriel100

HSC
Probably a really stupid question but anyway....

I'm looking for my first job, and most advertisements have either 'part time' or 'casual' written somewhere in them. What is the difference?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Part time means you're paid at the part time rate (less than casual) and are guaranteed at least 10 hrs a week (this may vary according to the type of work, I think). You're also entitled to sick leave and annual leave.

Casual means you're employed on a needs basis depending on your employer. You are not guaranteed any minimum number of hours and you have no entitlement to sick leave or annual leave. You're paid a higher wage (usually about 20% loading on the regular wage for your age).

galadriel100

HSC
Sarah168 said:
Part time means you're paid at the part time rate (less than casual) and are guaranteed at least 10 hrs a week (this may vary according to the type of work, I think). You're also entitled to sick leave and annual leave.

Casual means you're employed on a needs basis depending on your employer. You are not guaranteed any minimum number of hours and you have no entitlement to sick leave or annual leave. You're paid a higher wage (usually about 20% loading on the regular wage for your age).

Ah I see. So with part time, can you say that you want a week off? Or do you have certain times that you MUST work? I'm going to Sydney in Jan, but I don't think I should tell the employers that, or they'll hire someone who is not going away...

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
galadriel100 said:
Ah I see. So with part time, can you say that you want a week off? Or do you have certain times that you MUST work? I'm going to Sydney in Jan, but I don't think I should tell the employers that, or they'll hire someone who is not going away...
That's a matter of judgement. In my last interview, I ducked the issue of my final uni exams coming up and it didn't become a problem later but it could've been cos naturally the employer will be annoyed if they hire you believing what you said abotu yoru availability and you spring a holiday on them at the last minute.

Usually it can be flexible but it depends on your employer and the way the roster system works.

BlackDragon

HSC
simple -

part time = you're on a roster and hence get regular, scheduled shifts and you know in advance.
casual = they ring you up whenever the hell they want and ask you to work at a certain time. and you're not on a roster.

part timers get much much more regular work. but at coles myer, for instance, nearly everyone starts as casual. and that is the difference

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
You might be on a roster if you're casual but you will also be on call for extra shifts.

hellomike

HSC
Well part time means fixed shifts so if they tell you to come in from Wednesday to Saturday, that is when you come in. Casual means you have flexibility because you don't come in everyday but when the call you. Though with this, you probably have to be available when they call you unexpectanly. If you choose full-time you have added flexibility.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I'm on the roster, and I'm almost completely sure I'm a casual. The number of shifts I'm given per week change - one week I'll have two, the next I'll have four. I have no "set" shift - ie I don't work from 5-10 every Thursday; every week the shifts change. Nevertheless, I and everyone other person in the same boat as me are on the roster and don't get "called up" at the last minute. Maybe my job just does things differently.

tiffanyV

HSC
i think this still depends cuz im working casual right now and i still have to check my shifts on the roster every single week, normally i would get 2 to 3 shifts which are around 10 --- 14 hours. Honestly, i cant really judge now since im still on the 2 months holidays, so let me wait and see if my manager is gonna change anything after my holidays....

Edit: The same thing goes for me too, Jachie. My name is always on the roster and my shifts keep changing every week (Unless there was one time, my manager called me b/c they didnt have enough ppl to work on that day). & Im pretty sure tat im still casual worker not part time....

Last edited:

Jachie

HSC
Yeah Tiffany, we're in the same boat. I think majority of people at my work are casuals, except for like, the supervisors and managers who'll either be part-time or full-time. Everyone else I know is casual. I still get around 14-18 hours a week, though, and some casuals I know work six days a week. It really varies.

tiffanyV

HSC
Jachie said:
Yeah Tiffany, we're in the same boat. I think majority of people at my work are casuals, except for like, the supervisors and managers who'll either be part-time or full-time. Everyone else I know is casual. I still get around 14-18 hours a week, though, and some casuals I know work six days a week. It really varies.
Ur luckier than me, cuz at least u still get 14 - 18 hours/ week, but my casual shifts are really sh** cuz it's just the last week i had 12 hours, but this week is only 8, and next week....haha even worse i'll have 1 shift only (4 hours). So tat really makes me wonder "should i quit this job, and find another better job?" :burn:

Jachie

HSC
One shift? Jeebus. Where are you working? I say you should wait it out a while longer, and if it continues at that rate I'd suggest looking around for a better-paying job. But definitely find it before you quit.

tiffanyV

HSC
Jachie said:
One shift? Jeebus. Where are you working? I say you should wait it out a while longer, and if it continues at that rate I'd suggest looking around for a better-paying job. But definitely find it before you quit.
Jachie, im working at Coles, i think ur right, i'll wait a bit longer, if tis still continues, then even thou the pay is good, i'll quit and find a better Job. Besides tat, i want to recommend people who look forward to applying a job at Coles, u better give urself a second thought....

HSC
I am casual at woolworths and I am wondering whether I can ask for transfer to another woolworths store in another suburb because I am going back to uni and I wont be able to commute to my current store every evening.

My manager offered me to sign a contract, does that mean I'll be a fulltime employee if I accept?

Natla

HSC
it depends on where you work.. i work in a supermarket as a casual and i have the same roster and 4 days a week. it only changes when people leave or if i cant work a certain day anymore. i also get called up for extra shifts sometimes on top of my other ones. if i cant work i just call up a workmate and ask to swap shifts or something so its pretty flexible. but every job is different!

also not sure if you get holidays as part-time. but full time gets like a couple weeks of annual leave so you can take it whenever just as long as you notify the employer a couple weeks beforehand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)