Category B subjects. (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm in year 10 and I was planning to pick photography next year. It's only worth one unit so it fits perfectly into the required 12 units by my school. But I heard that Category B subjects grade you down. Is this true? If so how?

vincent3g

A member
HSC
I don't know how it will 'grade you down'.
Unless you are talking about an in school thing.

Since I believe that you can't do Photography as a subject for the HSC course anyways.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
photograhy isnt even cateorgey B, its nothing, mneaning cant towards UAI.

clue444

HSC
Is category B subjects like IT, Accounting, Hospitality etc. (VET courses)? If they are, then "Category B" subjects are the ones that are quite simple and less logical than the subjects in Cat. A (Maths, Physics .. etc).

Cat B. subjects don't require a lot of studying or powerful thinking, rather it is a kind of "mini" course that trains you in a that field.

Hence, if you don't get a high mark in Cat B. subjects, you'll be scaled down just because of its abhor scaling.

HSC
Is category B subjects like IT, Accounting, Hospitality etc. (VET courses)? If they are, then "Category B" subjects are the ones that are quite simple and less logical than the subjects in Cat. A (Maths, Physics .. etc).

Cat B. subjects don't require a lot of studying or powerful thinking, rather it is a kind of "mini" course that trains you in a that field.

Hence, if you don't get a high mark in Cat B. subjects, you'll be scaled down just because of its abhor scaling.
scaling for accounting is close to that of the modern and ancient history..

and that part on cat. b subjects not requiring studying or powerful thinking, that isnt always true

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
scaling for accounting is close to that of the modern and ancient history..

and that part on cat. b subjects not requiring studying or powerful thinking, that isnt always true
May I inquire to what Cat. B subjects do require powerful thinking? Or a similar mindset to one of the difficult subjects?

If they are like this... they probably should be A.

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
REALLY! I find that very hard to believe !
Ext maths is by far my hardest subject. It goes above Chemistry and Physics.
If I was to put my subjects from hardest to easiest
1) Ext Maths
2) Chemistry
3) Engineering Studies
4) Mathematics
5) Physics
6) Advanced English

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Difficulty is often subjective... but the trend is that Mathematics (extensions) and Physics/Chemistry are some of the hardest courses.... (this is excluding other extensions... because I understand they are hard >_<).

Again, difficulty is very subjective.

HSC
Yea, some people in my class find accounting so easy but I have trouble in it lol ): but I find physics/chem so easy :x.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
i though accounting was cat A? it scales higher than bio, ancient, business etc suprised its B

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I'm in year 10 and I was planning to pick photography next year. It's only worth one unit so it fits perfectly into the required 12 units by my school. But I heard that Category B subjects grade you down. Is this true? If so how?
-Photography is a category C subject
-It won't count towards your ATAR but it will count towards your HSC
-All subject scale you down but if you enjoy it and excel in it, it won't be a problem.

=)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
-Photography is a category C subject
-It won't count towards your ATAR but it will count towards your HSC
-All subject scale you down but if you enjoy it and excel in it, it won't be a problem.

=)
-Most scale you down except for a few exceptions like MX2

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Ha if you get 100 aligned in Cat B subjects they will still scale down to mid 80s. Exception is Accounting which scales similarly to Modern History for normal people. At >80 though, Modern scales much much better. You can still get 100 scaled in Accounting though, but the other Cat B subjects scale like garbage.

Last edited:
HSC
May I inquire to what Cat. B subjects do require powerful thinking? Or a similar mindset to one of the difficult subjects?

If they are like this... they probably should be A.
As people have already implied, Accounting is one subject.
I'm not sure about the others because I have no idea what they are..

I do Aviation and that only counts as a HSC subject and I like to think the subject requires 'powerful thinking'. Part of the course is equivalent to the universities that offer Aviation (Flying) course. We learn up to CPL Theory and that is what Universities teach, just they go further to ATPL.

It isn't just a subject you turn up to and think "Yeah it's not even a Cat. A subject so it must drop dead easy.."

I'm sure something like Food Tech is something one would consider easy but I'm sure there are elements to the course that would be difficult. Subjects aren't categorically ordered based on 'powerful thinking'.

Last edited:

theMoment

HSC
one of my friends do accounting and he finds it pretty hard
but that's cos he doesnt study much..
he tends to study his humanity subjects more :haha:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)