Centrelink - Rent Assistance (1 Viewer)

Andi0390

HSC
Yes, but only for the "rent" part of it.

As most colleges include food and power, a basic flat accommodation fee would have to be determined, but it would be above the maximum rate amount thingy, so it wouldn't matter. When you move in ANU should probably be able to help you with it - there would be quite a few students on it.

Also, you will have to qualify for other parts of it, I'm not sure if you need to be independent to receive rent assistance but I think you might. If you've already got independent status thats great, but if you don't its a bitch to get.

Epic

HSC
Okay that sounds reasonable. How would centrelink determine what percentage of the accommodation fees are actually for rent?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Would a residential hall come under "lodging (if you pay for board and lodging but are unable to tell us exactly what you pay for each, two thirds of the amount you pay will be accepted)"?

Epic

HSC
Would a residential hall come under "lodging (if you pay for board and lodging but are unable to tell us exactly what you pay for each, two thirds of the amount you pay will be accepted)"?
I'd imagine it would.

ajdlinux

HSC
I can confirm that living at ANU makes one eligible for Rent Assistance, according to Port Macquarie Centrelink. If you receive YA/Austudy/ABSTUDY and are eligible for RA you should confirm it with them just to make sure they're aware of it and they can start payment ASAP.

I believe all ANU halls/colleges charge high enough rent/lodgings to be eligible for the full rate of RA, which is $111.80 per fortnight for most of us.

[Thread title spelling corrected :) ]

Last edited:

Epic

HSC
I can confirm that living at ANU makes one eligible for Rent Assistance, according to Port Macquarie Centrelink. If you receive YA/Austudy/ABSTUDY and are eligible for RA you should confirm it with them just to make sure they're aware of it and they can start payment ASAP.

I believe all ANU halls/colleges charge high enough rent/lodgings to be eligible for the full rate of RA, which is $111.80 per fortnight for most of us.

[Thread title spelling corrected :) ]
Thanks for confirming that. I'll pay them a visit to make sure the payments start right away.

I'm hoping those start-up and relocation scholarships are approved soon as well lol.

ajdlinux

HSC
Thanks for confirming that. I'll pay them a visit to make sure the payments start right away.

I'm hoping those start-up and relocation scholarships are approved soon as well lol.
It's good being one of those people who actually benefits from these reforms, isn't it? :D

Epic

HSC

whatrandom

HSC
N/A
hey there

how do we apply for student income support? i think theres a relocation scholarship and a start up scholarship...

Ishynooshy

HSC
i think theres a relocation scholarship and a start up scholarship...
Those scholarships are yet to be approved by parliament. They were suppose to be voted on late last year, but it didn't happen. Whether it'll get passed in the upcoming weeks (maybe months) and get implemented immediately, mid year or at the start of next year is yet to be seen.

ajdlinux

HSC
Oh by the way I believe the maximum rate for RA is $248.47. At least it is for me with the amount I'm paying...

I'll be paying $245 per week so I'm well over the limit, even considering that they only consider 2/3 of the payments.

Rent Assistance - payment rates
That's the rent threshold, not the payment rate, which is $111.80/fortnight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)