Chances of getting into a selective school ruined? (1 Viewer)

Kateguan

HSC
Hi BOSers,
Do you think a report of a majority of Bs for year 10 half yearlies would ruin my chances of getting into a selective school(I got all As and 2 Bs for year 9 yearly)?

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I got all As Year 7 - 10, lots of awards and even came 2nd for 3 years, in a pretty respected non-selective school, yet I was always rejected.
So, giving advice from my perspective, unless you're from a selective school which is around the same rankings as the school you're trying for, your chances are a little low. This is being said by someone who has tried themselves, and also someone who has friends in "lower-tier" selective schools that didn't get enrolled into higher ranked selective schools.

Now I'm not here to burst your bubble and tell you that you'll never make it. But I feel like you need to be super special in regards with academics AND talents in comparison to others because how hard is it to get As and Bs in junior school with such a fierce competition? Because for me, despite submitting all these wonderful report cards, awards that I received and awards for Distinctions (and that one High Distinction for the Mathematics Competition), my chances were most probably very close to 0.

I don't think getting Bs will ruin your chances. I also don't think getting all As will secure your chances.

EDIT: I also don't know what school you're from (whether its a top 10 selective, a lower mid 50s selective or a non-selective in the top 100s), it would give me a greater detail if I know where you're positioned AND also what type of selective school you're looking to enrol into (1 of the top 5s, somewhere in the top 10s, 20s). That will give me further information to really give you a better answer

Last edited:

dlau

HSC
N/A
Hey WrittenLoveLetters, have you done the entrance exam for Year 11??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Verify

HSC
Nope got majority B's for my Yr 10 report and managed to get into a top selective school.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Hey WrittenLoveLetters, have you done the entrance exam for Year 11??

No :) I committed to an Accelerated HSC course, so when I was in Year 10, starting the Year 12 course was the reason I stopped trying and wasting my money on submission fees. All I can do now is do my very best and keep top in my school to achieve my ATAR goal. I have come to believe that getting a 90+ ATAR is not impossible in a non-selective school. I am also in my last term of Year 11, I'm not longer worried about getting into a selective.

Like I said earlier, do not take my response and experience as the only viable information, but it is definitely unfortunate for a lot of students who get amazing report grades, and it is definitely an experience that isn't wrong.

To all junior students, good luck in getting into a selective school :)
Do not beat yourself up and believe you are already set to fail just because you go to a lower ranked selective or non-selective school, because that's not true.

Last edited:

dlau

HSC
N/A
No :) I committed to an Accelerated HSC course, so when I was in Year 10, starting the Year 12 course was the reason I stopped trying and wasting my money on submission fees. All I can do now is do my very best and keep top in my school to achieve my ATAR goal. I have come to believe that getting a 90+ ATAR is not impossible in a non-selective school. I am also in my last term of Year 11, I'm not longer worried about getting into a selective.

Like I said earlier, do not take my response and experience as the only viable information, but it is definitely unfortunate for a lot of students who get amazing report grades, and it is definitely an experience that isn't wrong.

To all junior students, good luck in getting into a selective school :)
Do not beat yourself up and believe you are already set to fail just because you go to a lower ranked selective or non-selective school, because that's not true.
Great advice and inspiration there. I wish you all the very best for your accelerated studies!! I definitely agree, there have been many students receiving an atar of 90 or above in a non-selective school. Completely depends on you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)