Changing courses (1 Viewer)

shane_86

HSC
How hard is it at uws to change to a different course after your first year

candi_licious

shane_86 said:
How hard is it at uws to change to a different course after your first year
my careers advisor from last year said that if we maintain a credit average, we can transfer into pretty much any course we want with uws, coz they have some guarenteed transfer, something which none of the other unis had.. but might have to clear that up with someone that has changed courses... i think also it might depend on how many ppl r applying to get into that course as well...

rekyj

Random Stranger
HSC
my god your pic is graphic.

its a little much dont you think?

theone123

blue essence
HSC
rekyj said:
my god your pic is graphic.

its a little much dont you think?
thats hardcore.

anyway, with credit average your just about guaranteed any course at UWS including Law.

shane_86

HSC
serious that easy so u know this first hand or were u told

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
if i had to equate grades with marks it would be something like this

pass = > 55
credit = > 70
distinction = >85
HD = > 90

would i be right?
pass - 50 and above
credit - 65 and above
distinction - 75 and above
HD - 85 and above

you were close though :p

HSC
Cape said:
pass - 50 and above
credit - 65 and above
distinction - 75 and above
HD - 85 and above

you were close though :p
oh cool i average around 70-80 in mostly everything i do....pray to god this is the case for uni :D im heavily depending on getting this mid-year transfer thing, if i don't ill cry...alot

shane_86

HSC
You me both. im doing a course im not lookin forward to so i can transfer over next yr to my first preference.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I can guarantee you if your not looking forward to doing the course, you won't gain the marks. You will have to make yourself interested in the subjects ... hoping for a transfer isn't enough motivation, especially at uni.

HSC
im so lucky b communit welfare (wat im doing now, 2nd pref) has 2 courses in autumn semester that are offered by b social science (my 1st pref, wat i wanna transfer into) so that's definently a plus...

what course are you doing now to gain the transfer.....if you put it down as at least one of your preferences you should have at least some interest in it....u'll need to be 'into' the units u r doing to get the most out of them

shane_86

HSC
cos the course im doing now was like my last preference. but its all good all my units are bio based and i did good in biology for the hsc. im just worried about chemistry. are they really that strict that u have to get a above credit average to transfer

Jonathan A

HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
oh cool i average around 70-80 in mostly everything i do....pray to god this is the case for uni :D im heavily depending on getting this mid-year transfer thing, if i don't ill cry...alot

Be careful here, a grade point average is not based on marks, only grade. So:

Fail = 3
Pass = 4
Credit = 5
Distinction = 6
High Distinction = 7

To work out the GPA, they add all you grade points and then divide them by the quantity (average them).

Caution is need where you assume that a mark of 74 in every subject is going to be enough to get you a GPA above 5, it will only give you 5, because your Grade is a Credit where it is 74 and your point is only 5. So if you are aiming for 70-80, try and aim high in this range. Its easier said than done, trust me.

ALSO, if you are transferring, do units which are easier, the university and UAC do not care what units you do, so long as the GPA is meeting their standards.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Just to add, even though you have done biology doesn't mean anything. I did a subject of fundamentals of environmental biology in first year and semester, and i did biology in yr 11 and 12. I found that I slacked off because I had done all the work before and only managed to get like 57. So don't be fooled by having done biology before.

uwsstudent

HSC
just get a credit then u will get to ur course

i think it's alright for u to get 65 plus everytime, then four units full of credits, then u should be able to go to any course that u like

klh

HSC
your GPA has to be more than 5.01. so its doesnt have to be 3 C and 1 D but as long as your grades work out to be >5.01, you are able to transfer. also to transfer, you have to fill in a form and hand it in well before the next semester or they wont approve it, like they wouldnt apporve of mine last year, so i had to wait until now.
its not hard to get if you try your best and study, but in my first semester i hate programming and didnt do well until i hauled myself into the library and looked for the right book so i could understand the stuff. if you are consistent throughout your studies for each unit and do well, it should be easy for you to earn a better than credit average. of course some units will be harder than others.

HSC
So UWS is more relaxed about transfers than other Universities? How do there policies work and what kind of GPA range should be be looking at?

5 isn't really enough is it?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Italian Hotshot said:
So UWS is more relaxed about transfers than other Universities? How do there policies work and what kind of GPA range should be be looking at?

5 isn't really enough is it?
You need 5.01 or above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)