changing school- girl school in NSW... (1 Viewer)

emilylu

HSC
hey im in halfway of yr 11
I attend a high school adelaide.
im wanna moving school befor term 3..
r there any advice or some school good i can choice..
any area in nsw..

:) thx a lot..

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
emilylu said:
any area in nsw..

hmmm this depends. do you want to go to a:

-normal public school
-selective public school
-independent (private) school

location of where you are staying in NSW can also be a factor to what school you choose. i have limited my scope to just the greater sydney area.

selective and independent are harder to enroll into, but arguably, have more resources and attract many smart and talented people.

examples of top elite private girl's schools (in sydney) include:

-Pymble Ladies' College
-Presbytarian Ladies' College
-Abbotsleigh
-Queenwood
-SCEGGS (Sydney Church of England Grammar Girl's School)
-Ashcam
-Kinacoppal (btw, this is where they film "Looking for Alibrandi")

hope this helps, M.D.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
emilylu said:
any area in nsw..

I recommend you go to a selective high school:
http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/schoolfind/types/shs_ahs_details.php

Most private girls schools suck, selective schools dominate the top schools in NSW. Where abouts iin NSW are you moving to?

HSC
N/A
As much as it pains me to say it, :p there are a number of all-girls private schools who prepare their students very well for the HSC. The down side of course, is that you have to pay muchos $$$ to go there...

I went to Hornsby Girls (a selective, ranked 4th for 2004 results according to daily telegraph which takes into account mark/student number ratio) and they also prepared us very well (other good ones include North Sydney Girls and Sydney Girls). Down sides include that nasty thing called the selective school test - as you can imagine there are a number of people who want to get into selective schools so the competition is pretty tight if you didn't get in through the Yr 6 exam.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Try Queenwood school for girls, my sister goes there and it seem to be a excellent school. It's not academically selective and they do very well in the HSC.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
selective and independent are harder to enroll into, but arguably, have more resources and attract many smart and talented people.
except for my high school.... :mad1:

glitterfairy said:
Down sides include that nasty thing called the selective school test
the newest section that has been added to it is the Written Part which is not multiple choice at last and will require you to write an English passage or response. so you might wanna brush up on those kind of things if the school requires you to do some sort of exam.

but seeing that you are already in Year 11, i think that they will look primarily at your past school reports. so make sure that they are good! :p

HSC
N/A
wm_abusef said:
the newest section that has been added to it is the Written Part which is not multiple choice at last and will require you to write an English passage or response.
Are you serious?

HALLELUJAH!!!! THERE IS A GOD!

*has renewed faith in the selective schools test*

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
hahahaha, yep yep, it's true :) came in a couple of years after i did it. (unfortunately)

Selective School Tests are now held early in March as well. And did you know that you need to apply in Year 5 for it now! :O crazy crazy stuff... selective high schools now hold Open Days for Year 5 and their parents, not the conventional Year 6 anymore because it's too late!

(But i must say, m.c is da bomb!)

ImSoHot

HSC
wm_abusef said:
selective high schools now hold Open Days for Year 5 and their parents
So that's why the little people visiting school seem to be getting smaller and smaller. Or maybe it's just 'cause I'm getting bigger...

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
The writing section is still meant to be very generic and not stimulating though.

Because they caught a group of children who all attended the same coaching college who ALL plagiarised the same pre-prepared response with excellent vocab and grammar. funny thing is for some of them their other sections had atrocious punctuation and spelling.

Selective high school tests are still better than the hsc spam-study papers though :uhhuh:

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Wooz said:
I recommend you go to a selective high school:
http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/schoolfind/types/shs_ahs_details.php

Most private girls schools suck, selective schools dominate the top schools in NSW. Where abouts iin NSW are you moving to?
How difficult is it to get into selective schools (for girls) after the end of Yr. 10?

What is the process like? I'd have to contact each school individually?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
you're not a girl?

but i don't think it'd be too hard as long as you're at the top of a comprehensive high or slightly above average at a selective awnting to transfer to say ruse or baulko (had a couple of friends who did)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Nah, its for my sister. She goes to an average school I guess. Not sure of the rank....but about 15 out 120 people get UAI > 90.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
check the rank to be sure and at the worst you can always apply no matter what.

got nothing to lose. plus if she has a musical, sporting or extra-curricular activity the school she applies for may accept her just on the basis of that (i.e. abbotsleigh offers an 'all-rounders' scholarship).

think about it this way .. would say ruse really need another top student when they have over half the grade or so getting a uai of 99+? i think they'd give just as much consideration to an applicant who could promote their school in other ways (i.e. debating, piano prodigy whatever)

good luck to her though mate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)