Checking over answers (1 Viewer)

Graceofgod

HSC
I have pretty much got the 2u test 99% prepared for.

The only problem is that I often manage to finish with up to half an hour, even an hour in my last trial remaining.

My question is this: How do you best check over your work with the remaining time?
I end up losing ALL my marks to silly mistakes, and the occasional misreading of the question.

Any techniques or suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

sicmacao

HSC
Do all the questions again, try to do it in an alternative way or perhaps in a "riskier" way or perhaps sometimes depends on the question, do it using the long method see if it yield the same answer.

Also when you look at the answer, try to think about whether the answer is reasonable. Say if you are graphing a function after finding the local max or min. Try to do a table of values and plot some points on the number plane and check if the position of the graph agrees.

If you are misreading the questions, bring a highlighter to the exam and highlight all the key words as you do the questions. Sometimes it is easy to get carry away as you want to tackle each problem at the first opportunity but it will make a difference. This technique is also applicable to other subjects say physics or chemistry as it is not uncommon that candidates wrote a lot about the questions only to discover after the exam they are not answering the questions.

It's hard to think of an one size fits all strategy as it really depends on the questions.

You are doing pretty well if you can finish the trial with half an hour remaining.

Good luck

Last edited:

-tal-

HSC
read over every single question that you think was "easy" for me, they're usually the ones that i end up getting wrong.

also helps to write on the table some sort of swearing or something to remind you not to be an arrogant ass, and check everything properly and make sure it makes sense.

undalay

HSC
You're meant to finish in 85 minutes.
Then redo the whole test.

Then compile all consistent answers.

Graceofgod

HSC
sicmarao: Thanks for the effort :) I don't know so much about the highlighter thing.
I am talking maybe 1-2 marks lost for misreading a question
I don't think I am going to bother highlighting every question to fix that :p

-tal-: I completely agree with the 'easy' questions.

undalay: I wish I could do that... :(

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
-tal- said:
read over every single question that you think was "easy" for me, they're usually the ones that i end up getting wrong.

also helps to write on the table some sort of swearing or something to remind you not to be an arrogant ass, and check everything properly and make sure it makes sense.
nah i wudn't do that, if they're easy and work like 1 or 2 marks most likely they ARE easy and theres no trick in them,
i would look over the questions worth 3-5 marks probably but just the ones i'm unsure of, for most questions i am 100% sure that i get them right, and then theres those that i'm a bit unsure, i check over those :p

just make sure u READ the question carefully dont assume wat its gonna say, also just a small tip, read if it says 2dp or watever =)

Graceofgod

HSC
Timothy.Siu: I agree on your last point, with reading the question.

However, I normally find I lose my only marks in questions 1-3. I have no idea why. Questions 7-10 I never really lose marks in. So hopefully the best strategy will just be to carefully start redoing the test and compare my answers as I go.

HSC
yeah when i was doing 2 unit tests in year twelve
id do the test twice, then have the time to redo the ones i still had small uncertainties about.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Graceofgod said:
Timothy.Siu: I agree on your last point, with reading the question.

However, I normally find I lose my only marks in questions 1-3. I have no idea why. Questions 7-10 I never really lose marks in. So hopefully the best strategy will just be to carefully start redoing the test and compare my answers as I go.
wow thats weird, usually i get full marks in the first few sections or losing 1 mark max in the early ones although i shud avoid that...and 9&10 i can usually get the hard ones, maybe just not one part of them so i lose a few there

Graceofgod

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
wow thats weird, usually i get full marks in the first few sections or losing 1 mark max in the early ones although i shud avoid that...and 9&10 i can usually get the hard ones, maybe just not one part of them so i lose a few there
I tend to try and get the first questions over with as fast as possible so I can spend a long time on the last few.
They are much easier because they never have any tricks in them, just extra thinking etc. :)
But yeah, I am prob just weird.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
undalay said:
You're meant to finish in 85 minutes.
Then redo the whole test.

Then compile all consistent answers.
And that's what I do. I finish the 2 unit paper under 1 hour and 30 minutes and go over them again. But again, it also depends on the paper.

Graceofgod

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
lol are u going for state ranking?
Haha nup, I guess my rank in maths confirms I am just weird.

70/100ish. (school rank 25)

lol..

I haven't worked all year! =D And I don't really need a uai better than 83 anyway, so i don't really care.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
lyounamu said:
And that's what I do. I finish the 2 unit paper under 1 hour and 30 minutes and go over them again. But again, it also depends on the paper.
yeah same i guess, well i'd definitely finish the first 8/9 sections in around an hour or a bit more, but for our trials, finished in like 2 hours and spent 1 hour on the last one and still got it wrong :mad:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
yeah same i guess, well i'd definitely finish the first 8/9 sections in around an hour or a bit more, but for our trials, finished in like 2 hours and spent 1 hour on the last one and still got it wrong :mad:
I finished my Trial in 1 hour and 50 minutes and I got dragged down by a bearing question that took me almost 20 minutes alone - I should have practised that. Without that bearing question, I would have easily finished the whole exam in 1 hour 30 minutes, meh.

I used another hour drinking water for a bit and going back to that bearing question - so glad when I got that figured out.

Graceofgod

HSC
lyounamu said:
I finished my Trial in 1 hour and 50 minutes and I got dragged down by a bearing question that took me almost 20 minutes alone - I should have practised that. Without that bearing question, I would have easily finished the whole exam in 1 hour 30 minutes, meh.

I used another hour drinking water for a bit and going back to that bearing question - so glad when I got that figured out.
Mmm, the catholic trial, I think?
I too got stuck on that (or another if yours wasn't catholic) question for about 5 minutes before realising its simplicity =S

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
best way to ensure u dont make stupid mistakes i guess is show absolutley all the working even like the easy minor steps just to ensure u can see everything u have done.

HSC
lyounamu said:

haha heaps dragged down namu didnt you get like 119/120??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)