• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Chem vs Phys (1 Viewer)

Mr.Bark

what the hell...
HSC
ok which has better hsc chem or phys? i need help (please no one say it depends what u like...i am neutral about both really)...things to consider workload, concepts and examinations...hard or easy...should i do one or the other and feedback from past (and present) hsc students would be appreciated.

P

pLuvia

Well you can only decide if you like it or not.

It depends are you a science person or more of a maths person??
Do both, most people do both

Mr.Bark

what the hell...
HSC
ive heard the phys calculations are on the back of the paper...that true? or maybe its just my schools internals...

Mr.Bark

what the hell...
HSC
im prob more a maths person than science...what does that mean?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
When it comes down to it, its about your personal preferences as a student - no one can tell you that you will/won't like anything.
But, in general:
Chemistry is far more practical - I did at least one experiment a week. Essentially no algebra is involved. Also, 2 of the options(forensic and biochem) would be harder for not having done biology.

Physics is far more abstract, you will be thinking about concepts and fundamental laws more than doing anything practical - I remember only doing a handful of meaninful experiments. You will also have to fiddle with algebra, and maybe some basic trig and this would be harder if you didn't do any maths and fell out of practice IMO.

The exams for me weren't that different in difficulty, and again this varies from person to person and same with the workload.

So if you are really hands on and interested in what is around you then chem might be better, but if you like to be more theoretical and look at how things happen instead then go for physics.

Mr.Bark

what the hell...
HSC
i like eco and the subs im doing but think 15 would be waayyy to much if i get in to philosophy and 11 would be alright if i do not get in...i like eco and my other subs i dont think i should do both...i always asked if they were interelated and whether they supplement each other in the type of mindset you complete each of the courses in but every one said "no"...hmmmm

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Do both if you love science. They are interaleted a bit.

Workload? Roughly the same. They are both interesting. Chemistry is for the theoretical but physics is for the technical. They both involve heaps of calculations but for physics, you need to remember formulae.

Scaling? (no use reading this) I'd say chemistry has better scaling.

Chem is more popular than phys statewide but in my school its the other way around.

Mr.Bark

what the hell...
HSC
thanks ill take it into consideration...the nomenclature involved with chem daunted me a bit when i looked through the text 'pathways 2' (not sure if our familiar with it) and other worksheets...oh and you could prob answer this does phys involve more pracs where u have to look at a secondary source and judge it? because we had one of these for the end of yearly and it wasn’t what id call 'straightforward'

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Whether you're good at maths has absolute no meaning with the current HSC physics. It simply isn't physics and maths, it's some humanitarian bs. If you feel you can bs your way to Board of Studies' criteria, then either is fine, but otherwise, chem would be easier.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Lol kadlil, nice ticker banner you have in your sig ;). I think we're 2 of a handful that have started timers for next year's hsc. :rolleyes:
Anyway back on topic: Physics requires you to think more and to succeed you need to understand the theory and think analytically. The maths is like year 9 level, such as simple sin cos tan trig. Also alot of questions in the hsc are now asking you to not just do calculations but alot more explaining concepts studied in the course, describing knowledge that you have studied and "mini essays" which can be up to 6 or 7 mark questions asking you to discuss a particular topic in the course. Homework is medium to low, but you should revise anything new you have learnt each week to consolidate your knowledge. Scaling is pretty good, it's ranked a above avg. when compared to other subjects. In chem, you need to pay attention in class to understand the new concepts learnt, you will get to perform many experiments as my teacher has told me over the year, homework is also medium-low, scaling is quite good, it is less mind demanding than physics as most of the concepts evoke less thought. If you have a good memory, chem is a good choice because there's alot you need to know, and the first way to get top marks in either is know your concepts and work well! I hope that helps you choose.
P.S I recommend both!!

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Mr.Bark said:
ive heard the phys calculations are on the back of the paper...that true? or maybe its just my schools internals...
Yeah. most of the formulae.
With chem and bio, you are given a periodic table. Sometimes for phys as well.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
In terms of preparing you better for university, I'd definitely say that is chemistry.

I personally found chemistry to be far more interesting than physics. And in year 12, chemistry became 10 times more interesting.

Although physics also gets better in year 12. Overall I think the physics course is too generalist and english-based. If that sort of thing appeals to you, go for it.

I personally wish I'd taken both physics and chemistry, but I dropped physics mid first term year 12. I'd definitely choose chemistry over physics, though.

Both physics and chemistry have the formulae on the sheets in the exam.

What do you plan to do at uni, generally?

Mr.Bark

what the hell...
HSC
lol yeah your standard commerce/law student y'know...nah actually something to do with economics prob sciences just to fill the units...but are still important now!

NT-social

HSC
well im doing both physics and chem.i actually thought id prefer physics over chem but it turns out that i like doing chem work rather than physics..BUT here's the thing...i get better marks in physics without trying as hard as i would for chem WEIRD!!!

confused? so am i
seriously i think the teacher counts so see if the teacher can really explain the subject to their students...even if u hate the subject a good teacher will help

P

pLuvia

I do biology and chemistry and I find biology much more interesting

Chemistry I find is too broad and gets really boring sometimes :(

But yeh, do both physics and chemistry since both are related and chemistry is good university entrants

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I do chem and phys, both are very interesting, pay attention and join in with class disucssions, trust me, you will never fall asleep if you ask questions and participate in class.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
chemistry is way betta for me. =P coz i get a very talktive teacher who explains very well and since i learn by talking, i enjoyed the lessons
as opposed to physcis, where we juz copy notes and do Qs.. =\

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Depends on personal preferences and teaching quality. I personally prefer chemistry over physics, but hey I do all 3 sciences.
Also, straight from the 2005 HSC Media Guide:
- Biology is currently the 4th largest HSC course, with 13 389 students. Chemistry is the 8th largest course (10 266 students) and Physics is the 10th largest course (9443 students).
- Biology has more students this year, Chemistry remains steady and Physics is slightly lower. All have increased enrolments since 2001: Biology by 7%; Chemistry by 12%; Physics by 4%.
- About half of all HSC students are studying at least one Science course.

Wah! And I thought Biology was the least popular of the 3 sciences....!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)