Chem & which maths? (1 Viewer)

gracie007

HSC
I do chemistry with general maths. is it still possible to do well in the exams? I haven't dropped or anything from 2U maths either.
Does anyone else do gen. with chem? What are the stats like on the same combo? How will it effect scaling/my marks, etc.
I understand that if i just concentrate on donig my very best in both, it'll be good for my hsc, but how will these two contribute to it?
it seems that the majority of ppl that do chem are 2U / ext mathematicians.
I'm not super good at chem or anything but I'm getting a lot of help this year for it so hopefully it'll go ok.
Thoughts!!:confused:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The maths is really easy in chemistry, it's like year 9 maths, such as finding the unknown in small equations like n=cV, converting grams to litres. Don't worry about it if you're doing general, trust me, the maths is simple and straight forward.

P

pLuvia

Chemistry maths is basically using the equations and subbing in values

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
For some calculations you need to be able to think logically.

Others are simply subbing values into formulae. It would also help if you knew your calculator functions well.

A l

HSC
N/A
So far the mathematical skills that I have encountered in the Chemistry course are:
- Simple arithmetic
- Solving equations using algebraic methods
- Graphing and interpolating skills
- Logarithms (for calculating pH)

If you know how to do the above, then you'll be fine....It's not like Physics where more mathematical skills are required.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
As above, you don't really need much mathematical skills to excel in chemistry. All you need to do is learn some basic process' for common calculation questions.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
our chemistry teacher keeps telling us how hard the maths in chem is...

he used to freak me out, and I do 4unit...

jamesy_1988

HSC
Everyone kept saying to me that I needed to do extension 1 maths to be able to chemistry, which I did. But now looking back on it there was no real need to do the extension maths or even 2U really cos it is all pretty simple maths.

So I think that you should be right the the maths that you are doing

Jamesy

tennille

HSC
If you are planning to do a science degree at university, then do mathematics because that is usually the minimum requirement. However, if you are just doing chemistry in high school, then there is no need to do advanced mathematics. As everyone mentioned, the maths is not difficult in high school chemistry, so you can just stick with general. :)

Pierotte

HSC
gracie007 said:
I do chemistry with general maths. is it still possible to do well in the exams? I haven't dropped or anything from 2U maths either.
Does anyone else do gen. with chem? What are the stats like on the same combo? How will it effect scaling/my marks, etc.
I understand that if i just concentrate on donig my very best in both, it'll be good for my hsc, but how will these two contribute to it?
it seems that the majority of ppl that do chem are 2U / ext mathematicians.
I'm not super good at chem or anything but I'm getting a lot of help this year for it so hopefully it'll go ok.
Thoughts!!:confused:
If youre looking to drop down to general and your worries about chem is the only thing stopping you then definately drop!!

I dropped down after the yr12 half yearlies and my chem mark actually benefitted as i was wasting less time on maths and had more time for chem.

Just make sure you continually brush up on your basic maths skills which are often ignored in general.

Make sure you know how to do all the relevant maths for chem as it is way above a general maths level.

Simply get your teacher or 3/4U friends to help you out with the maths bits and make sure you know how to do them.
Study them.
Really study and understand them.
Make sure they are second nature and you understand the maths behind the formulas, dont just try memorise the formulas.

Its simple.

Just study.

Knowing how to do functions and calculus related crap in the 2U will NOT help you in chemistry!!
But being good at the relevent maths and continually tuning your mathmematical skills will help.

You may have to do a bit of extra work for chem just to make sure you DO have the maths down, and study a bit extra to keep your mathmatical mind ticking, but its hardly as much work as 2U maths, but just doing your general maths study will not suffice.

The maths in chem IS relatively easy, but with things such as logarithms you have to understand them to use them.

Did that make sense?

I know i repeated my self numerous times but i just really wanted to get my point across.

Good luck with your decision.

PM me if u want to know more. (e.g. my specific marks, specific marks of other people who did chem and general, specific marks of friends who did chem and 2u, etc etc etc)

Dragie

HSC
General math is definately a sufficient amount of mathematics knowledge needed for the chem course. Chem maths involves simple calculations (plugging numbers into formulas), graphing and does not require full understanding or derivation of the equation. Hope it helped you!

jjames-hall

HSC
i do ext 1 with chem and maths in it is fairly simple mostly simple solving of algebraic stuff and the log stuff is just number punching int he calculator

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
I know someone in my grade who's doing chem with general maths, and she's coping well :D Like everyone else said, there's not that much maths in chem :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)