Chemical Engineering: UNSW vs USYD vs Newcastle (1 Viewer)

ddmoore95

HSC
Hi,
I was wondering which university is best for chemical engineering. I would like to go to UNSW. If i don't get the required atar i would go to USYD or Newcastle though. I would like to know the pros and cons of each uni. I would also like to know why the cutoff at Newcastle is so low (76) when compared with UNSW (92)?

I live in Wollongong.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Do Wollongong offer Chemical Engineering? That'd be pretty convenient for you and I hear UoW is pretty good for engineering. Newcastle is so low mostly because of demand, the city unis have far greater demand. Part of that demand is because UNSW's engineering faculty have a great reputation and the course is highly praised but a lot of it comes down to location.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I am studying ICT Engineering at UTS (who also don't offer Chemical) so tbh i don't know what i'm talking about but I have a friend at UNSW studying materials and chemical engineering afaik. I think a lot of unis join the degrees in some way. I'd highly reccomend you look into the materials engineering program program at UoW if you are interested in staying at home.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Probably UNSW>USyd>UoN for Chemical Engineering - if you can't go to a local university and you have to move, there will be a lot of consider.

I recommend:
- Looking for the cheapest (or most inexpensive) place to stay - living costs will be quite significant.
- Go to USyd or UNSW, if possible - but consider living costs.
- UNSW is somewhat better than USyd (from some say) but honestly, the difference isn't worth it if you need to pay even more than you already are.

The opinion on most universities are going to be mixed - I find a lot of UNSW first years happy with it (at least, for now) but a lot of second years hate the teaching (don't expect such different at USyd, though).

ddmoore95

HSC
Thanks for all the help. I am still not sure where to go. Will i find it difficult to find employment if i did my degree in newcastle?

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
come to unsw man, might be a bit hard to move out though..

leesh95

HSC
Thanks for all the help. I am still not sure where to go. Will i find it difficult to find employment if i did my degree in newcastle?
I am considering this degree in Newcastle as well and would like to know too. I don't have the money to live in Sydney or near UNSW. But the cut-off at new-castle is so low I am scared there is going to be a catch like low employment opportunity after graduation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)