Chemist in Industry (1 Viewer)

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
hehe he's from conq. chem isnt he?

I dont use a named chemist as the dot point refers to a chemist in a named industry:

A chemist working in the plastics industry may such as one that produces polyethylene.
If his occupation entails the production of low density polyethylene (LDPE), the chemist needs to:
use computers to predict properties of the polymers based on different co-polymers, temperatures and catalysts.
constantly monitor the equipment to ensure that the required conditions and purity of reactants are maintained.
carry out quality control at the end of the product line to ensure that the product meets customer requirements.
evaluate processes proposed by the product development section of the company

The chemist undertaking the role described above could have studied university course in applied chemistry or engineering or a TAFE chemical technician course.

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
Yes he is. What a lucky bastard, all these HSC students studying his life's work. Most scientists only dream of that!

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
One thing i heard - don't bother studying for this dot point as it is impossible for them to test on it in the HSC exam. Thank-lucky-god...

Paroissien

HSC
Why is it impossible? I've seen questions on chemists in trials before

Paroissien

HSC
Tommy_Lamp said:
they cant ask you about a named chemist, they can ask you about a chemist in a named branch of chemistry
Yeah, that's how I thought it worked. Thanks for clearing that up

persephone

HSC
are you sure they can never ask you about a named scientist? even though somewhere in the syllabus (according to my teacher), we have to know at least one male and one female practising australian scientist? what's the possibility they could ask it this year? cos they could

Paroissien

HSC
Absolutely positive. They can asked about a branch of science, not a named scientist

helper

HSC
N/A
Persephone, have look at the thread on the physics branch where I answered the same question. There is no syllabus point that says identify a male and female scientist.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Because we did forensic, my scientist would be a forensic. The prinicpals he use is everything in that topic.

Narelle

HSC
THEY CAN ASK U FOR A NAMED FEMALE AND MALE SCIENTIST... for any science subject...

its in the skills table

H12.3:

e) identifying practising male and female Australian scientists, the areas in which
they are currently working and information about their research

ALSO

the dot points in this module can suggest so depending on how u read it

ALTHOUGH...

they never have.. and yeah u can make it up...and also... how will they check?...

freakin out.... cram overload :eek:

persephone

HSC
9.1 Chemistry skills
HSC course outcomes
H12, 12.3 "gather information from secondary sources by: e) identifying practising male and female Australian scientists, the areas in which they are currently working and information about their research"

helper

HSC
N/A
And as you said it is a skill section not content. It also is about gathering data not knowing the identity of a scientist, so if there is a question you will outline how you gathered the data. You may use an example in your explaination but there will be no question where you have to name a scientist.

VVoody

Nothing better to do ^_^
HSC
We (as in Tina and myself) heard this directly from one of our teachers who had co-written the last 3 HSC Chems. It is impossible to ask it because it's so broad. There would be no way to validate the answers so it would be pointless to ask it.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
If this dot point were to be examined, it would be something like "identify a branch of chemistry. identify a chemical principle that would be used by a chemist in that industry, and explain how the principle is used." Be careful of the chemical principle part - it's in the dot point, and most explanations offered don't discuss chemical principles, they discuss chemical techniques.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)