Chemistry exam question help needed (1 Viewer)

HSC
Question is: Aluminium oxide can decomposed by electrolysis. If 5kg of aluminium oxide yields 2.65kg of aluminium on electrolysis. Calculate the percentage composition of aluminium oxide.

MilkyCat_

HSC
Since you are already given the mass of aluminium you don't have to use the empirical formula to determine the percent composition by mass

For aluminium 2.65/5= 0.53
therefore 53% aluminium
For oxygen (5-2.65)/5= 0.47
therefore 47% oxygen

HSC
Oh can you also help me with this exam question? There's no solutions, and I have to check to make sure if someone has got the same as I did
(16) A student completely reacted some solid iron (II) sulfide in 200mL of 0.5M hydrochloric acid, forming iron (II) chloride in solution and collecting all the hydrogen sulphide gas produced. The volume of the hydrogen was 122.5mL at room temperature (25 degrees celsius) and pressure (100kPa).
(a) Calculate the number of moles of hydrogen sulfide gas collected
(b) Determine the mass of iron (II) sulfide used in the experiment
(c) Using a calculation, show that the amount of hydrochloric acid used was in excess

rand_althor

HSC
Oh can you also help me with this exam question? There's no solutions, and I have to check to make sure if someone has got the same as I did
(16) A student completely reacted some solid iron (II) sulfide in 200mL of 0.5M hydrochloric acid, forming iron (II) chloride in solution and collecting all the hydrogen sulphide gas produced. The volume of the hydrogen was 122.5mL at room temperature (25 degrees celsius) and pressure (100kPa).
(a) Calculate the number of moles of hydrogen sulfide gas collected
(b) Determine the mass of iron (II) sulfide used in the experiment
(c) Using a calculation, show that the amount of hydrochloric acid used was in excess

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)