Chemistry help (1 Viewer)

Dural... DO NOT CALL IT THE STICKS!! I DON'T OWN S
HSC
Hello fellow chemistry peoples! (haha, didnt that sound lame..)
Anyway, I have a new chem teacher this year and she has decided to give us an essay.. I am stick and I would really appreciate some help with this one..
Ok, so this is the question thing:
"The Federal Government wants to use nuclear energy to solve our greenhouse gas problem and our energy balance. Analyse the benefits and problems associated with this issue and the uses of other radioactive isotopes."
I've got a little bit of information but I dont know where to start with this.. Which is really sad but it's true. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. It's due on Valentines day... how much does THAT suck?
so yeah, please help me

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
SquirrelsRabbit said:
Hello fellow chemistry peoples! (haha, didnt that sound lame..)
Anyway, I have a new chem teacher this year and she has decided to give us an essay.. I am stick and I would really appreciate some help with this one..
Ok, so this is the question thing:
"The Federal Government wants to use nuclear energy to solve our greenhouse gas problem and our energy balance. Analyse the benefits and problems associated with this issue and the uses of other radioactive isotopes."
I've got a little bit of information but I dont know where to start with this.. Which is really sad but it's true. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. It's due on Valentines day... how much does THAT suck?
so yeah, please help me

A Chemistry teacher issues essays ?
That is just downright lame.
I don't recall a question like this in a syllabus.
I personally would write a dodgy essay because a question like this is quite unlikely to appear in the HSC exam.

You could research the Chernobyl incident, find out why such a catastrophe occurred, examine the aftermath carefully.
The site of the explosion released so much radioactive particles and radiation it made the place around it uninhabitable for at least 500 years.
Think about what happens if it occurred in Sydney.

Terrorism is a major threat to the nuclear industry, because a terrorist can potentially turn nuclear facilities into nuclear bombs because they release enormous amounts of energy.

Listen to what John Howard says on TV about nuclear energy being greener, will not contribute to the greenhouse effect and how he even agrees to have a reactor in his backyard.

simbim21

unswMed07
HSC
I think the points that f3nr15 has bought up are quite valid, yet I guess there is more you could say. And I agree, that is the dumbest question ever (and dont worry, I know what having a crappy chem teacher feels like).

Well I guess since it asks for 'benefits and problems' talk about the advantages and disadvantages of nuclear energy. I guess the dot point the teacher is referring to in the second half of the question would be the use of radioisotopes in medicine and industry and the benefits and problems of those (i'm pretty sure that there's a dot point on that). That sorta info is easy to find, so I guess that would be half of this 'essay'.

I guess the other main part you need to address is the idea that nuclear energy will solve the problem related to greenhouse gases. Here you'd talk about how it certainly minimises the release of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere (does it really? not so sure- do some research :p), yet discuss the problems associated with safety, cost etc.

Well good luck, I hope this helped! :-D

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
5. The expansion of a nuclear industry will create more jobs which may strengthen the economy.

simbim21 said:
I think the points that f3nr15 has bought up are quite valid, yet I guess there is more you could say. And I agree, that is the dumbest question ever (and dont worry, I know what having a crappy chem teacher feels like).

Well I guess since it asks for 'benefits and problems' talk about the advantages and disadvantages of nuclear energy. I guess the dot point the teacher is referring to in the second half of the question would be the use of radioisotopes in medicine and industry and the benefits and problems of those (i'm pretty sure that there's a dot point on that). That sorta info is easy to find, so I guess that would be half of this 'essay'.

I guess the other main part you need to address is the idea that nuclear energy will solve the problem related to greenhouse gases. Here you'd talk about how it certainly minimises the release of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere (does it really? not so sure- do some research :p), yet discuss the problems associated with safety, cost etc.

Well good luck, I hope this helped! :-D
My Chemistry teacher is the best:

Easiest Class Task: Copy the teacher's notes on the board, the size of a paragraph, nothing more.

Hardest Class Task: Library research.

Last Homework teacher issued to us: I don't remember, it was last year.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
SquirrelsRabbit said:
Thanks for your replies!! I did check them yesterday but I've been working hard since then. Thanyou very much has helped alot!!
Yes, my chem teacher is a little wierd but she's good. It is a strange task to be given but hey...
Thankyou once again!!

mwa!!
Oh my that is just flattering, encore !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)