chemistry teachers mistakes (1 Viewer)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
nit said:
This wasn't strictly a story about our chem teacher, but we had a substitute one day last year who the school was trying out as she'd applied for a job at our school...

She was teaching us about trends for the ionization energies across a period, and glossed over the decrease in IE going from Mg to Al and also N to O...Our class being loaded with smart guys asked her why the trend failed between Mg and Al, and she replied that she didn't know and that we should look it up...
We got to N and O, and asked her the same question again, and she replied again that she didn't know. At the end of the period, we asked her the exact same question one final time, and the head of the department, who'd been marking her, had to step in...

So that's my story of incompetent chem teachers and how we as a class basically destroyed one chem teacher's career:D
uhm.... i think it has something to do with the subshells etc... like if all the electrons having positive half spins are filled the atom is much more stable...

but then again.. tis not in syllabus... so yea, i agree with eagle... that's a bit mean... =p

VVoody

Nothing better to do ^_^
HSC
tina_goes_doo said:
Oh god! Glad our teacher hasn't done that but i wouldn't put it past him. We did get evacuated from the lab three times in two weeks though. That was due to the "dangerous fumes" caused by the guys in our class trying to boil antifreeze...
What?!? That was gold!!! Gogo anti-freeze ^_^
It was our teacher's fault anyway. He said that it probably wouldn't boil. Now is that a challenge or what?

A

abdo

my chemistry teacher is a mistake... oops... i shouldn't have said that

G

Gavvvvvin

Eagles said:
thats so mean..
Thats not mean, its good, as it keeps incompetent teachers out of the schools, such as the one which I currently have who once took about 20 seconds to calculate 4 x 4.

Brad

We chucked the schools whole supply of Sodium into the ag plot dam in yr 10. We thought it was a failure after it fissled for about 20 sec. Then BAM! it was cool

I reckon none of the guys in my phyts class will be able to have kids after all the radiation stuff we've used and induction shit.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
VVoody said:
What?!? That was gold!!! Gogo anti-freeze ^_^
It was our teacher's fault anyway. He said that it probably wouldn't boil. Now is that a challenge or what?
chem teachers have made two monstrous mistakes at our skool:
1. eva lettin me and wini in same building as acid
2. eva lettn wood do chem. dear god, what the hell were they thinkn? i so pity u tina!

jesst

All our experiments have consisted of filling in sheets the teacher had since ages, just shows how ancient he is.
Once we were meant to calculate the mole of Oxygen needed when we burnt Mg in are and our product MgO ended up the same as what we measured the original piece of Mg. My friends in another class had wieghed it worse, their MgO weighed less than their piece of Mg.
But there was once in year 8 when we weren't allowed to boil salty water cos the other class did it and the salt at the end spat out at them.

The thing that really annoys me is how my teacher always attributes the failure of our experiements to some really crappy reason and we write about it under "Dicussion" and how we can improve it.

Not to mention my teacher makes it plain obvious how he'll rather be somewhere else.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
*girl04* said:
have any of your chem teachers made major mistakes in experiments? like today our teacher managed to set alight a gas tap and make a fir big fire ( coz she was holding the bunsen burner upside down) and im just like is this normal? like i know everyone makes mistakes, but she nearly burnt me! like completle
I'm not sure if you call this a "mistake" (moreso an accident - make that an expensive accident!), but my HSC Chem teacher knocked over half the titration burettes when she tried to squeeze through the prep room while we were cleaning up after a titration prac.
The burettes came crashing down to the floor with the loud shattering of glass heard as far as 3 classrooms away.....the whole class suddenly gasped, neighboring teachers bursted into the classroom to see the prep room littered with pieces of glass......then I heard her swear under her breath, because she knew she was in BIG trouble with the head teacher since the burettes costed hundreds of dollars.....OUCH!!!

adam629

HSC
What chem teacher, i might as well do chem by distance education. my teacher is never in the class (though there is only 3 of us in the class), and when he is, he just sits in the corrner. don't think he knows what teaching or a white board are.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
My teacher got out the radioactive material. He opened the box that had all these radioactive warnings and got the geiger muller tube out. It was ticking like mad! then he sealed up the whole thing with lead, and the geiger tube was still ticking like mad!!! we all were like right at the back of the room. The teacher says he's not worried about the radiation, as he has already had kids.

beentherdunthat

HSC
me121 said:
My teacher got out the radioactive material. He opened the box that had all these radioactive warnings and got the geiger muller tube out. It was ticking like mad! then he sealed up the whole thing with lead, and the geiger tube was still ticking like mad!!! we all were like right at the back of the room. The teacher says he's not worried about the radiation, as he has already had kids.
LMAO. THAT IS FUckING FUNNY.

If it was at our school, we would have been overexcited to see something make a geiger counter go off. Seriously. Like we beg our teachers to see stuff like that. Have you ever seen mercury??? Man, that is one bizzare liquid. LOVE it.

The craziest thing that happened in our Labs was when our soapanification experiment blew up. LOL. THAT WAS FUNNY. ( P.S. I had like a chemical burn on my nose BUT It's gone now!!!... LOL ) ... and you know how much stuff we break??? OMFG. NO COMMENT. LOL.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
LMAO. THAT IS FUckING FUNNY.

If it was at our school, we would have been overexcited to see something make a geiger counter go off. Seriously. Like we beg our teachers to see stuff like that. Have you ever seen mercury??? Man, that is one bizzare liquid. LOVE it.

The craziest thing that happened in our Labs was when our soapanification experiment blew up. LOL. THAT WAS FUNNY. ( P.S. I had like a chemical burn on my nose BUT It's gone now!!!... LOL ) ... and you know how much stuff we break??? OMFG. NO COMMENT. LOL.
we asked our physics teacher to place sodium in water.
absolutely spectacular.

chem teacher refused to do it.

beentherdunthat

HSC
f3nr15 said:
we asked our physics teacher to place sodium in water.
absolutely spectacular.

chem teacher refused to do it.
lmao. Ohhh funn!!!!! OmG, love it when something crazy happens in chem class!!! Our school has this special store for toxic chemicals... OMFG, sneaked in once ... something close to heaven! :D ;)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
lmao. Ohhh funn!!!!! OmG, love it when something crazy happens in chem class!!! Our school has this special store for toxic chemicals... OMFG, sneaked in once ... something close to heaven! :D ;)
try and coerce yuo teacher to mix egg white, NaOH and water for real stinky fun or H2S if you can :)
ive always wanted to take stuff from the prep room.

xD LOL xD

pulsatile
HSC
f3nr15 said:
try and coerce yuo teacher to mix egg white, NaOH and water for real stinky fun or H2S if you can :)
ive always wanted to take stuff from the prep room.
:eek: GTFO!!
Some actually did that at my school, they broke in and stole my chem exp and our acids so we're borrowing it from other schools. :mad1:

Zrap

glock9
HSC
Today my chem teacher walked into a glass door infront
of our whole year.
Soooo funnnnny, mad teacher but everyone felt sorry for him
cause he was embarassed and his also colour blind.

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
It wasn't a mistake, but since you were all talking about it, my chemistry teacher showed us sodium in water. She put a little piece in and it full reacted ^^ She said she wasn't supposed to do it though. How did you do it in physics? What were you learning?

She also showed us mercury. Coolest liquid/metal ever (well coolest I've ever seen)! She picked it up with tweezers because there were a few drops on the bench.

I'm only in preliminary so nothing has happened yet. I remember in the past, I've smelt something bad in the labs, it smelt like vomit. I think they said it was an ester gone wrong by a student or teacher, I don't know. I haven't learnt about it yet so I don't know, would a mistake make it smell like vomit?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)