China vs Taiwan (1 Viewer)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Who's 'Chinese' here and who's actually Taiwanese?

Assuming that Beijing gives the order to 'liberate' the island by force in the near future* (quite the prospect, when you think about it), which side would you take?

Also, who's goin' back for the 2008 Olympics?!! *raises hands* :D

*'near future' is a subjective term.. I don't want the political nuts here going bonkers on me for claiming that Taiwans gonna be invaded soon, lol.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
That's like asking who here is Australian, and who here is Tasmanian. A Tasmanian might be inbred, but they're still Australian.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
That's like asking who here is Australian, and who here is Tasmanian. A Tasmanian might be inbred, but they're still Australian.
Exactly, but that's not the relevant point. They are not at political loggerheads at each other, unlike Taiwan and China.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
there's a difference. The language is spoken somewhat different, and it's political status is vastly different. And i doubt Taiwanese people are inbred.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Again, like saying Tasmania and Australia. It don't make sense.

Taiwan is an inalienable part of China. It's a Province of China, and should therefore be referred to as Taiwan Province, or Taiwan Region, just like the PRC is generally referred to as Mainland China (despite the fact that Hainan etc. aren't mainland)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
Again, like saying Tasmania and Australia. It don't make sense.

Taiwan is an inalienable part of China. It's a Province of China, and should therefore be referred to as Taiwan Province, or Taiwan Region, just like the PRC is generally referred to as Mainland China (despite the fact that Hainan etc. aren't mainland)
That sounds awfully biased towards Taiwan. Again, you must be referring to my original question:

"Who's actually 'Chinese' and who's actually Taiwanese?"

Note that I put the inverted commas there, as to not imply that Taiwanese people are not Chinese, by race. By nationality, many would argue that they are not the same.

China regards Taiwan as an inalienable part of China, yet many Taiwanese would like to regard themselves as a separate state. Why do the two countries have two different presidents? Comparing the situation here with Tasmania and Australia is contextually incorrect. Tasmania is an official state of Australia, and the Australian government has full sovereignty over it. China regards Taiwan as such, yet Taiwan seems to oppose such a notion. Conclusively, it's completely relevant and plausible to refer to them separately as 'Chinese' and 'Taiwanese', until a complete, official re-unification is achieved.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Taiwanese people ARE Chinese by race and by nationality. I remind you that the official name of Taiwan is the Republic of China, and its official borders are exactly the same as those of the Peoples Republic of China. This comes from the fact that the so-called Taiwanese Government is descended from the original government of the Republic of China, founded by Sun Zhongshan, and lead by Jiang Jieshi (the "Generalissimo"). In late 1949, when it was obvious that the Kuomintang couldn't hold the mainland, Jiang retreated to Taiwan province, taking the entire treasury of the Republic of China. Mao inaugurated the Peoples Republic of China, and for the next 30 years Jiang tried to retake the Mainland, in what was quite frankly an embarrassing situation for the Kuomintang and their US minders.

You'll find that most Taiwanese support reunification with the Mainland.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
Taiwan has its own constitution and president, so it's a huge controversy whether it IS part of China.
Aren't most Taiwanese people against the reunification with China? Only the "sensible" ones are in for it lol. In my opinion.
It once was a province of China, but I think the cancellation of the position "Province Premier" ( or whatever it is when translated into English) is a denial of Taiwan being a province. And another example is, many high schools which used to be called something like " Taiwan Province Tainan Girls' High School" are now called " National Tainan Girls' High School".

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
It remains a province of China, most people on both the Mainland and on Taiwan province believe that. Taiwan remains represented on the National Peoples Congress.

I don't see why Any Chinese person would oppose One China, Two Systems. Problem is that there is just a lot of anti-communist sentiment, and they won't be happy until that One China is a Kuomintang China.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
I just came back from Taiwan...I love it, it's my home country but I wouldn't want to live there for more than 6 months anymore...

Seung.Hur

H2O
HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
I just came back from Taiwan...I love it, it's my home country but I wouldn't want to live there for more than 6 months anymore...
Send me to China for 6 months anyday! <^^>

...damn my commitments here! :(

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I wish you people would stop referring to it as a country. It's not a country, unless Victoria and Queensland are countries too.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Seung.Hur said:
Send me to China for 6 months anyday! <^^>

...damn my commitments here! :(
wtf, spending more than 2 weeks in china bores the shit out of me....

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
[rant]
omfg, jkd, i just wish u would stop brin up such controversies...
i hate politics ever since i heard how corrupt it is...

doesn't matter where u r, politics remain the most corruptin force, whether u are in australia, in china or in taiwan, or in america...

god i hate politics...

[/rant]

Seung.Hur

H2O
HSC
Jago said:
wtf, spending more than 2 weeks in china bores the shit out of me....
I suppose its the friends I made in the 2 exchanges that I've been on, that's made China shine to me. :)

That, and the cheap DVDs, clothing, dengdeng. :p

And well, there are quite a few other contributors, I'm sure, but for now, those are my only excuses on why I want to go back so bad. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)