Choosing Electives - your structure (1 Viewer)

builder2818

HSC
Hi

I am keen to hear how some people are structuring their degree in terms of picking electives to compliment the required units of study.

I am enrolled in a b.comm majoring in finance and I am finding it a little hard and confusing to structure a timetable. I am a part time student studying at night so some subjects are automatically excluded from my proposed program. I know it's early days as I have just enrolled but I would like to get a structure in place going forward.

A couple of questions I have:

1. Does it matter at what stage of your degree you take level 100,200,300 units? (assuming you meet all prerequisites)

2. Is it better to study subjects that have a prerequisite closer to each other? e.g would it make much of a difference if I studied accounting 1b 4-5 years after studying accounting 1a?

Fisiks

HSC
1. No, just as long as you have met the prerequisites you can study 200 / 300 level whenever you want. I've been given advice to save easy 100 level units that i don't require for prerequisites for later in my study to 'compliment' harder 300 level units.
2. I am wondering the same thing.

builder2818

HSC
What are you majoring in? Do you find that you will be taking units that aren't directly related to your major?

Fisiks

HSC
Finance.

You have to do a people and a planet unit, my choices for them don't relate to my major.

You can choose electives that don't relate to your degree to make up credit points if you wish, but it really depends on personal preference and what degree you're in.

builder2818

HSC
I'm majoring in finance too. I am doing econ 131 as a planet unit in 2nd semester and i'm already a little down for having to choose a people unit outside my dept/faculty because I cannot find anything I want to learn thats not in my chosen degree and it's a little silly if we can't make up all our electives from commerce subjects. I'm sure its possible but with only evening classes as my only choice I am trying to pick up as many economics subjects as I can and hopefully pick up a second major.

Fisiks

HSC
If you cant find a people / planet unit that you like, just choose ones that are easy so you can breeze through it.

How many units a semester are you taking since you're only doing evening classes?

builder2818

HSC
I'm just doing the two subjects a semester. I haven't studied for a long time so I don't know how I will handle the workload with a full time career and wife and child.

Blizane

HSC
2. Is it better to study subjects that have a prerequisite closer to each other? e.g would it make much of a difference if I studied accounting 1b 4-5 years after studying accounting 1a?
Just to add to this a bit more, it probably is a smart idea to prerequisite subjects closer together especially when there's a direct link between them e.g. Accounting 1A/1B. I think there would be some certain subjects where the content isn't related at all to its prerequisites (think, like, History subjects for example), but yeah, in finance, some are certainly more 'connected' than others and it would be a good idea to do them close to each other.

gsweeper

HSC
I'm majoring in finance too. I am doing econ 131 as a planet unit in 2nd semester and i'm already a little down for having to choose a people unit outside my dept/faculty because I cannot find anything I want to learn thats not in my chosen degree and it's a little silly if we can't make up all our electives from commerce subjects. I'm sure its possible but with only evening classes as my only choice I am trying to pick up as many economics subjects as I can and hopefully pick up a second major.
If you're majoring in finance can econ131 still count as a planet unit? I know it didn't for me in my first you, but probably because I am studying app fin/eco? eh, i chose it thinking it would go towards my planet unit :(

builder2818

HSC
It states that if you are majoring in economics it doesn't count as a planet unit so it's ok for a finance major under the bachelor of commerce. I was thinking about trying to pick up a second major in economics so I don't know how they would treat that. The academic adviser I spoke to on enrolment day said that it would be ok but he didn't seem sure in his answer to me as with everyone else I asked around the place for info. I hope when the time comes, someone at the joint knows what's going on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)