choosing electives (1 Viewer)

Darkenedjib

HSC
Hi all,

I'm starting second year, and for this coming semester I need to take 4 units, 2 of them are specified plus 2 electives. I've enrolled for 1 which is needed for major, but have absolutely no idea what to choose for the other. Which units are we allowed to choose from?

Doing bachelor of computing (retired: http://handbook.uws.edu.au/HBOOK/course.asp?course=3507.3). I've tried the unit search and that has a nice list, but which ones are relevant to the course? Do electives need to be units from the same department (school of computing and maths)?

I'm sure this is a nub question, but choosing electives wasn't an issue for the first 2 semesters I've done.

Thanks, if anyone could help me out, or if you're doing the same course and can tell me what you picked, that'd be great.

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
Generally electives can be chosen from any department unless your course has specific electives you must do to satisfy an industry recognition.
Otherwise, you can choose to do an elective for 2 reasons:
1. Because it sounds easy, thereby getting you a higher mark, and boosting up your GPA. you should research unit outlines from the library site, or ask other people what is 'easy'.
2. you can do another unit to satisfy your major just to get it over with or look around at other courses for a series of other units you can do to satisfy a sub-major (four chosen electives) or another major in another field. If you have enough electives to be able to do another major (especially if units overlap between majors) then it will be added to your course name in brackets when you graduate. E.g. Bachelor of Computing (Financial Planning) (Civil Law). But you should only do this, if there is a connection between the major and your future career; otherwise it is more or less useless to you and a waste of time

Last edited:

Darkenedjib

HSC
Sorry, another thing, I chose 4 units but then changed them a day after (on the 9th iirc), and today received the usual tax invoice and advice of enrolment letter which was issued on the 8th. So on it are the unupdated set of units. Will there be another invoice later? Or have I missed the opportunity to select units? On MySr and Platform Web however I am able to see the newer units I've enrolled for.

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
Yeah don't worry, they'll send you another letter with your updated units, usually a few weeks after Uni semester starts. You can change your units how ever much you like on MySR as long as it's before the Census Date on the UWS calendar; or unless classes are full.

But if you drop out of the unit after the Census Date, you get charged the fee for the unit and also get an Absent Fail mark on your transcript, which will also screw up your GPA.

enterusername

HSC
if u are ever worried about an invoice, you can request a new one from enrolments....just send them an email enrolments@uws.edu.au (from ur student email account)

i had similar sit. last semester :) :) :) they sent it back to me almost immediately :) :) :) then i stopped worrying

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)