Choosing Physics or Biology? (1 Viewer)

espiritulol

HSC
I'm in year 12 currently doing Physics and was in the same position as you before! I only wanted one science subject, and it was out of Bio or Physics, I checked out the content and realised I would find Physics more interesting! And the Prelim course is a really good lead to the HSC course too

But in all, do what you want/like/will actually try hard in!

shirleynomates

HSC
I do biology, and while there is a lot of content it's a lot easier to understand than physics (well, depending on what you're better at - more maths inclined people should go for phys/chem, some physics formulas occur in 2u/3u maths)..
Also I really strongly recommend going for what you're better at - do NOT go for a subject because of the scaling. If you end up being crap at it, your ATAR will suffer anyway. Best to do well at biology than bad at physics - scaling won't help you if you fail.

Ultimately it's up to you, ask your teachers about the content, ask them whether they think you should do it (take their advice with a pinch of salt - in my experience some teachers will tell you you're really good at a subject in order to get you to take their subject, so they'll get the numbers), see what teacher(s) will be teaching it (that can affect how well you do - if you don't like the teacher you probably won't want to pay attention in class) and check out some of the notes on the subject.

Imperfect

HSC
N/A
I chose chemistry, biology, physics and now I regret choosing physics. For chemistry I find it fun and if you don't understand it in class, there are plenty of information on the Internet; for biology I have to memorize a lot of things like cell parts and there are also plenty of information on the Internet. For physics you also need to be good at maths, learn many formula and need to remember them. I recommend you choose biology instead of physics because I find physics really hard even if I study, there aren't much information on the Internet and if you struggle in class then ask for help online not many people gonna help answer your question as much as biology. I'm going to change out of physics and do legal studies instead even though I dislike politic.

fionarykim

HSC
I use to do all three sciences aswell but i dropped chemistry
Physics -great if your into some thinking, theres alot of understanding to do and you need to use your head alot in physcs, also if ur good at maths this helps with physics aswell coz there are alot of calculations

bio- hardly any maths and dont really require much headpower, its just understanding what happens, doing alot of revision of content and just study study study

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Biology all the way! :headbang:
Pppffffft physics is where it's at. In all seriousness OP, dont think about it too much now- as you get a feel for the course later u may make a more informed decision that is best for U, and even if u make the wrong one(subjectively speaking Ofc) u can always change within the first few weeks if it doesn't work out :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)