choosing subjects for eng/sci (1 Viewer)

TheKey

HSC
it seems that for my course elec engineering/science the first year is the same as if i was doing engineering on its own and while using the yearly planner and reading over the pdf on elec eng/comp science, it seems i dont actually get to choose any of my subjects untill the 2nd year.

this is what the yearly planner came up with..

Semester 1
3 ELEC1010 Intro to Elec Engineering
6 ELEC1011 Electrical Engineering 1
3 MATH1090 Discrete Maths for Elec Eng
6 MATH1131 Mathematics 1A
6 PHYS1131 Higher Physics 1A
24 Total units of credit

Semester 2
6 COMP1011 Computing 1A
6 ELEC1041 Digital Circuits
6 MATH1231 Mathematics 1B
6 PHYS1231 Higher Physics 1B
24 Total units of credit

ps. i did that cola test thing and i got killed in maths so it told me to do this normal maths but i did ok in physics so it recomended higher physics..

other than high/normal maths and physics i dont exacly have anything else to choose, or can i choose some 'extra subjects of my choice' to go with these ones on that online enrolment at 2nd feb?

Also any hints of what else i should know for 2nd FEB, like other then my subject list?

sunny

meh.
HSC
You won't be able to pick any extra subjects :(

The thing with combined degree is that they use your electives up qualify you for another degree - thats why comp sci can be combined with so many things.

Have you worked out a timetable on paper? Your lectures, tutes, labs and class numbers you want?

TheKey

HSC
since an elective would be 6 UOC, perhaps if i do well in semester 1 i could ask them to make an exception and allow me to do it so i have 30 UOC for semester 2. Any chance for them to allow me to do that?

Have you worked out a timetable on paper? Your lectures, tutes, labs and class numbers you want?
thats the thing i know i have to do this but i can find it anywhere, i only found the yearly planner and cola thing and i found my course in the virtual handbook as well as some .pdf files, but no mention of any dates of when the relevant lectures, tutes are taking place. i found this info for computer science over "here, but i cant seem to find it for elec engineering.

i could only find a link there which tells me to go to student gateway, and folowing the link says "The Student Gateway has closed" and telling me to go to MyUNSW where i cant find it either...

TheKey

HSC
ok its official im an idiot, i just found it. sorry to bother..il be working out my timetable just now.

sunny

meh.
HSC
I don't know if you can do this as new students yet, but open up myUNSW and log in, on the left there should be a "Class Search" link, use that to find all the related classes to a subject and their times.

Doing more than the needed units is called overloading - you have to apply to the school and its based on academic merit.

asdf

HSC
Originally posted by TheKey
ok its official im an idiot, i just found it. sorry to bother..il be working out my timetable just now.
You mean actually enrolling in subjects or just working out which subjects to enroll in?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Just working out what you want on paper now :)

That way you'll have all the class numbers you want to be enrolled in, then on Feb 2nd its just a matter of picking those classes, rather than working it out on Feb 2nd on the computer (which is harder than doing it on paper first).

Usually try and do this:
1) Fill in all the lecture streams for each subject you have to attend without clashes (use the excel template I uploaded before)
2) If there are big gaps you don't like, fill those in with labs/tutes.
3) repeat until there are no clashes and you get a timetable you want :p

Last edited:

TheKey

HSC
enroling comes after 2nd Feb, this is for me to organise my subject lecture and tutorial times so i dont have to be at 2 places at once or have too many on the same day...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You can still enrol in the higher maths subjects if you really want to - the COLA advice system doesn't have the final say.

asdf

HSC
Originally posted by sunny
I don't know if you can do this as new students yet, but open up myUNSW and log in, on the left there should be a "Class Search" link, use that to find all the related classes to a subject and their times.
Computer Engineering isn't on the list? :confused:

sunny

meh.
HSC
You can't search by the entire program! You have to search by subject, for example these subjects (which are the ones you should be searching for):

COMP1011/COMP1711
MATH1131/MATH1141
MATH1081 and
PHYS1131

make up semester 1 of the Computer Engineering program

asdf

HSC
Originally posted by sunny
You can't search by the entire program! You have to search by subject, for example these subjects (which are the ones you should be searching for):

COMP1011/COMP1711
MATH1131/MATH1141
MATH1081 and
PHYS1131

make up semester 1 of the Computer Engineering program
But there is "electrical Engineering", "Civil Engineering", "Comp science" etc... from the list?

sunny

meh.
HSC
myUNSW isn't up now, so I don't know where these things are from...are you sure they're not just the school offering the subject?

eg, ELECxxxx subjects would be listed as electrical engineering, and COMPxxxx subjects would be listed under comptuer science and engineering.

There should be one list to select the school that offers the subject, eg, MATH/COMP/ELEC,etc, then under it there should be another for you to enter the course code, eg 1131 (for MATH1131)

asdf

HSC
Im sure they were programs. I'll make sure tomorow. :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
ahh....myUNSW is open again.

If you wanted to enrol in higher computing 1A (COMP1711) - regardless of whether you're doing arts, computer engineering, law or whatever, you still select COMP - Computer Science from the subject area list, and enter 1711 for the course code.

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
This is what my First Year planner gave me:

Session 1
6 MATH1131 Mathematics 1A
6 PHYS1169 Physics 1 (Chem,Mech,Min Eng)
3 MECH1120 Design & the Eng. Profession
6 MECH1300 Engineering Mechanics 1
3 MECH1500 Computing 1M
24 Total units of credit

Session 2
6 MATH1231 Mathematics 1B
3 CHEM1817 Chemistry 1ME
3 MATS9520 Engineering Materials
6 MANF1130 Introduction to Manufacturing
6 MECH1400 Mechanics of Solids 1
24 Total units of credit

So is my limit 24 UoC? Which means I won't be able to choose any electives?

Oh and is it normal to have a lecture for a subject twice in one day? I'm checking the Mechatronics timetable and MECH1120 is listed as:

Lec: TUE 4-5
AND
Lec: THU 9-10
AND
Lec: THU 12-1

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
You should check your program to see if you have any electives in first year (not the first year planner). I've never used the first year planner so I don't know if its selected your electives for you (if any) based on your HSC results.

24uoc is the load that a full time student has per session.

Yes its common to have lectures for the same subject twice in a day.

sunny

meh.
HSC
No it doesn't matter - there are no tutes or labs during first week, so either way the tutes will always be behind the lectures.

A hint for the maths tutes though, there are class tests every 2 weeks or so, so if you don't want a maths test on a monday morning - make your maths tutes later in the week!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
It dosn't matter, but tutes are better later in the week (after lecs)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)