chosing courses based on salaries? (1 Viewer)

HSC
would you agree that a person who does not really have a passion for anything should just choose a course that will ensure a financially stable future?

and do you think that people should base their choices on the money they make rather than their interests. because if you're going to be working in a job for 40 or so years, your bound to eventually just get bored of it. so disliking ones jobs would just be inevitable. based on this would it be wise to select your job based on its pay packet, even if it means that you wont necessarily enjoy it?

The_81

HSC
N/A
Fair enough statement. I have found the thing is that not many people really know what they want to do. Take me for instance (in other thread). The way I see it, if you aim for a higher paying job. When/If you work out what you want to do. You can downgrade and have the financial funding to run through another uni course etc. to get to where you really want.

Also some of the questions that pop up here are comparing two career paths and there salaries. They might have a general interest in both paths, therefore you would be foolish to choose the lower salary correct?

My worthless 2c

mb87

HSC
N/A
I see a different POV further on through university. My suggestion is to research long and hard on what you really want out of your career/life outside of the walls of university.

I really hit a crossroads when i started university after highschool as i knew that the course had absolutely no relevance to what I wanted to do. So I went beyond my way and dropped and looked for work within the indusry - i was somewhat interested in at the time. After two years of working full time, it has encouraged me to go back to university to study.

I'm sure you have some interest which you could focus on rather than purely choosing a course based on the mule.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I feel that if your going to uni to do a course, you might as well make it something that you enjoy. You can always move across the corporate ladder if things get boring.

mb87

HSC
N/A
Despite reputation, prestige or percieved graduate salary of a degree there are always opportunities to gain rewards in any field you decide to choose...provided you put in the effort

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Not so much changing based on salaries but job avaliability - I wouldn't suggest people study interests such as creative writing, women's studies, psychology etc as a PRIMARY major.

Don't do women's studies and expect to make as much out of uni as an actuary or to find a job as easy as a petroleium engineeer.

izzy88

HSC
Not so much changing based on salaries but job avaliability - I wouldn't suggest people study interests such as creative writing, women's studies, psychology etc as a PRIMARY major.
oh I've spent 3 years doing Latin and Ancient History...does this mean fail?

I would major in whatever you are interested in- whether it be Ancient Greek (so useful today), gender studies or philosophy. Australia is one of the few places in the world which places so much emphasis on university undergraduate degree's being vocational- in contrast to the US where most vocational degrees are postgrad and only done after everyone has done a general undergrad degree consisting of arts/science etc.

Do what you are interested in. :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Depends on the course, if its a long and difficult...interest is key. Most of those people who get into law for the salary and not interest drop out of do not do well...its too long and hard to motivate yourself with money alone...On the other hand, more general 3 year courses seem to be easier to do without the interest.

I do advocate strongly to pick courses based on interest and ability, best way to do well!

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I also lol at the people that let their parents choose their course either through pressure or wanting to please their parents(or parents wanting their kids in a prestigious course)
a good example is an asian parent forcing their child to go to north sydney girls/sydney boys high with dr. du/james ann/matrix hsc tutoring in the hope of getting them into commerce/law or at least commerce offering their child little or no freedom or choice.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
I don't necessarily agree with this view, but can't argue with it either:

"Chances are you're going to hate your job no matter what you do, so you might as well make some money doing it"

Xenophobic

HSC
a good example is an asian parent forcing their child to go to north sydney girls/sydney boys high with dr. du/james ann/matrix hsc tutoring in the hope of getting them into commerce/law or at least commerce offering their child little or no freedom or choice.
My local H&R Block is swamped with Asians. They make many dorra.

cottoneye

HSC
N/A
Choosing a course based on money is a bad idea unless your objective in life is to become monetarily 'rich'. Even then, university might not be the best way to pursue that goal as you really need to start your own business to earn massive salaries.

You can always change course once you are at university and go to lectures from various faculties to see what you enjoy. You will find that most high paying jobs are incredibly demanding on your time and energy and if you just want to work to live then a regular 9-5 job might be more in line with your goals that a well remunerated 8-10 corporate gig. I would suggest you try and think about what you would like to achieve in life: career, family, adventure, or skills for example and then consider what sort of job you will need, and based on that what kind of education.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh you should absolutely choose your course based on money. Don't let these ppl convince you otherwise!!!!!

LordPc

HSC
I don't necessarily agree with this view, but can't argue with it either:

"Chances are you're going to hate your job no matter what you do, so you might as well make some money doing it"
if you find yourself in this position, then yes, change career, cause if hate what you are doing each day, then you have picked the wrong occupation.

for some people, making money makes them happy, so they choose careers based on that.

but do you really think you have no passion for anything (ie, you may be suffering from depression)? or do you just need to test the waters a bit and see what is available?

ascentyx

HSC
what u gotta do is choose the subject u hate the least cause in the end work is work and if u don't hate it right away ur going to hate it eventually.

luckily for me i find actuarial studies to be really interesting and i think and it can pay decently.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
if you find yourself in this position, then yes, change career, cause if hate what you are doing each day, then you have picked the wrong occupation.

for some people, making money makes them happy, so they choose careers based on that.

but do you really think you have no passion for anything (ie, you may be suffering from depression)? or do you just need to test the waters a bit and see what is available?
I understood that quote as saying "all things held equal, pick the one that gives you the most money", but you might have seen something else in it :p

< rant >
Most jobs you do are going to be boring, especially if you don't have any passions that can be made into a career. Yes, if you can find a job that you enjoy, of course, consider it over a less enjoyable job even if it pays less. If you're going to be spending a majority of your waking hours working, and if you're enjoying the work, then (follow the logic) you'll be a happy person for the majority of your waking life.

The trouble is that I think very few people can find a job that they truly enjoy(maybe 1% of people). Every job has their boring parts, and jobs that seem enjoyable at first can become boring and repetitive later on, and probably faster than you realize.

I think a lot of people lie (often unconsciously to themselves) about the fact that they're enjoying their job because they want to believe that they've made the right decision in choosing a career. Convincing yourself that you enjoy your job gives you a sense of satisfaction. These people are usually the one's who are actively seeking to find a career they enjoy. Having that is valuable to them (in contrast to those who are only seeking to make money, or "just make a living"). But the thought of not having found a job you enjoy is scary, and it gets worse as time passes by, so they stop looking and stop at a local maximum where they're at a job that they reasonably like and subconsciously say, "Yep, I'm done, I've found what I truly enjoy and I'm going to stop looking" It's very comforting after a long search or a stressful decision that you don't want to go through again. After someone has made a decision to stop looking, it would be hard for them to admit to themselves that they might have been wrong.

A simple thought experiment to find out if you truly enjoy doing a job is to ask yourself, "would I continue to do my job if I'm not being paid, and if my job didn't have the prestige that it does?" (the prestige is important too because people often choose jobs they don't like just for the prestiges as well). You might say, well those people just enjoy getting money and prestige, so in that sense they're enjoying what they're doing. That's true, but money and prestige are the result of doing the job, not the job itself. The means of getting there is not the same as the ends, and I'm ranting about the means of getting there :p

Whenever someone asks a question like the OPs on this forum, a lot of people advocate that they should pick a job or degree that coincides with their passion (if they have any). I would say "not so fast, think about it first!" Just because you like doing something doesn't mean you'll like doing it as a career.

e.g. if someone really likes writing, we might recommend journalism as a career. Well it might turn out that they hate writing under the pressure of tight deadlines (writers block?) and having their writing scrutinized by other journalists and readers.
e.g.2. If someone really likes maths and teaching, you might tell them to be a math teacher. Well it turns out that maths curriculum in school is incredibly dull, and instead of teaching kids creative ways to do mathematics, they're forced to teach students to memorize a small subset of not very interesting maths. (ever read lockhart's lament?)

If that happens, not only are they stuck (at least temporarily) in a career that they hate, but they might have also killed or severely wounded their passion! So be careful when you make that recommendation. Some passions (e.g. sport in particular) are better left for the weekend.

You can use the converse of that argument as a counter to the thought experiment I proposed and say "not every enjoyable job can be enjoyable out of the context of a job" because some people actually enjoy the fact that they're making a difference in the world or at least the workforce, and without that context, they wouldn't be doing it for free. Which is also a valid point, and I won't defend my thought experiment because it wasn't meant to be a flawless test :p

Back to the original question. Yes, if you have no interests that you can do as a career, money is not a bad heuristic, just make sure you balance it out a bit and chose something you wouldn't mind doing as well. Unless your plan is to make lots of money really quickly doing a dirty job (e.g. investment banking/prostitution/mafia boss, etc) and use that money later to do what you like, then go ahead and do that as well, just be sure that you can carry through with the plan.

And if you do have a passion but can't fit that to a career, consider the fact that more than half the jobs that exists today did not exist 50 years ago. Maybe you should be an entrepreneur :)

</ rant>

Yes, I've thought about this topic a little too much :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)