Chosing My Classes (Problem) (1 Viewer)

Flaming Ninja

Student. Playa. Ninja.
HSC
Ok, I'm enrolled into the B Engineering (Aerospace/Manufacturing and Management/Mechatronic/Mechanical/Naval Architecture), and I've chosen Aerospace as my sub-course thing. Anyway, I've been trying to make my timetable, and everything is going fine so far. I've locked in my ENGG1000 (Introduction to Engineering Design and Innovation), MATH1131 (Mathematics 1A)and PHYS1121 (Physics 1A) classes, but I'm having a problem with my COMP1911 (Computing 1) class. It's recommended for Aerospace to do ENGG1811 (Computing for Engineers), but also that COMP1911 is an acceptable alternative and you should do it if you like computing. Anyway, the problem I have is that, even though there is one set of Lecture times for COMP1911 that has vacancies, there are no tutorials left. How the hell does that work? I assumed that the number of Tutorial places would correspond to the total number of places available in the Lectures. Please help, as I'm really keen on doing COMP1911.

Also, does anyone know if classes that are full are not displayed on the Class Selection page? Because my friends are doing the same subjects as me, but I have no options for their times.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Flaming Ninja said:
Also, does anyone know if classes that are full are not displayed on the Class Selection page? Because my friends are doing the same subjects as me, but I have no options for their times.
Sorry I can't answer the first part of your question, but classes that are full should still be shown here and just marked with "FULL". At least this is the case with all the classes I've enrolled in.

Last edited:

Flaming Ninja

Student. Playa. Ninja.
HSC
None, but there aren't any pre-requisites for the COMP1191 anyway. In fact, to quote from the First Year Course Planner, "COMP1911 is for students with a strong interest in computing.", which is what I have.

Flaming Ninja

Student. Playa. Ninja.
HSC
uhawww said:
Sorry I can't answer the first part of your question, but classes that are full should still be shown here and just marked with "FULL". At least this is the case with all the classes I've enrolled in.
Damn it! I want the Lecture B for PHYS1121! I guess all I can do is keep checking to see if people change classes during this month. Fingers crossed.

Flaming Ninja

Student. Playa. Ninja.
HSC
Musk said:
u will be doing hardcore java programming n unless u did software in ur hsc u might struggle
Description
The objective of this course is for students to develop proficiency in programming in a high level imperative language and to develop a background of relevant knowledge and skills on which to base further study of computing. Topics covered include: fundamental programming concepts, program testing and debugging, the underlying memory representation of data, unix literacy, version control, programming style, professional issues. Practical experience of these topics is supplied by laboratory programming exercises and assignments.

No prior computing background is required.

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2007/COMP1911.html
I'm pretty sure that if I needed to do Software Design for the HSC, the Handbook would mention it.

Flaming Ninja

Student. Playa. Ninja.
HSC
Also, I've found the solution to my COMP1191 problem. The link uhawww gave me showed that there were still Tutorial/Lab classes available, but they are Closed at this time, meaning they're going to open in the future.

Flaming Ninja

Student. Playa. Ninja.
HSC
Musk said:
they say the same shit for ENG1811 (vb 2005) and fucking 60% fail it, like if your going for the name of the subject then go ahead ffs, not my problem if you fail it

theres 6 subjects that relate to enginering

1. 3 unit maths
2. 4unit maths
3. physics
4. chem

5. software
6. engineering studies

and ur telling me the handbook expects u to do all of them, fuck no
Did all those, and I'm quite proficient with computers.

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
I was only trying to help :'(
Don't worry, I still love you.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Musk, most people without prior computing knowledge do COMP1911 fine. It just requires effort, but its definitely not a subject that requires you to be a hardcore programmer. Even better Flaming Ninja seems to be dedicated to it, which imo is much better than having prior knowledge and not liking programming. Most people who come into first year and do have programming background most likely did VB6 at school, which I dont really consider giving them good enough programming knowledge for them to be considered 'skillful', especially in other languages.

PS iirc COMP1911 is in C, not Java

Last edited:

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
Musk said:
they say the same shit for ENG1811 (vb 2005) and fucking 60% fail it, like if your going for the name of the subject then go ahead ffs, not my problem if you fail it

theres 6 subjects that relate to enginering

1. 3 unit maths
2. 4unit maths
3. physics
4. chem
5. software
6. engineering studies

and ur telling me the handbook expects u to do all of them, fuck no
how do you know 60% fail it?

Flaming Ninja

Student. Playa. Ninja.
HSC
acmilan said:
Musk, most people without prior computing knowledge do COMP1911 fine. It just requires effort, but its definitely not a subject that requires you to be a hardcore programmer. Even better Flaming Ninja seems to be dedicated to it, which imo is much better than having prior knowledge and not liking programming. Most people who come into first year and do have programming background most likely did VB6 at school, which I dont really consider giving them good enough programming knowledge for them to be considered 'skillful', especially in other languages.

PS iirc COMP1911 is in C, not Java
Thanks for the support.

grimreaper

HSC
Yeah you definately dont need to have done any programming in the past for comp1911 - i want straight into a computing degree having never done computing in high school and knowing next to nothing about c, java, etc and did fine first semester.

Roobs

HSC
i got the same prob....except im doing mechatronics and COMP1911 is he reccomended course for me....i called the comp sci student office and apparently theyre adding more tutes n labs....should be abl to enrll by 2moz avo...at least i hope so.

Flaming Ninja

Student. Playa. Ninja.
HSC
Yeah, the new tutorials are available now. But the Thursday one I can't do because it clashes with my Physics lecture, and the Friday one, well... I have nothing else on Friday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)