Christian movie reviews..... (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
lol!!! "I personally say that any theatres playing it should be boycotted and avoided with extreme prejudice" hah! next thing u know they'll be burning us at the stake, and witch hunting like in The Crucible...wait, no they wouldnt. The Crucible has sexual references and therefore "This film must be avoided at all costs."

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
im Christian myself but i find other Christians take the moral high ground to justify their own sad, pathetic hillsong church-revolving existence.

HSC
"Family values" reviews like this always crack me up. There used to be a really good site I'd read whenever I needed a laugh, where they'd actually count how many times each different swear word was used in the movie, then tally them up, referring to them as "The most foul of foul words" and "A somewhat foul word" and things like that, so at the end of the day their tallies were no fun at all because you couldn't tell which swear word corresponded to which count.

In violent movies, they'd go through and tally up the number of deaths, and if they felt the need they would provide (Somewhat vivid) descriptions of each death.

This continued for every aspect of the film which wasn't up to their standards, sexual content, supernatural content, alien content, junk like that. Thoroughly entertaining, although a little scary at the same time realising that some people really do look to these for advice :)

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
i had a lecturer for media interpretations last year (christian). we were doing film studies. he said that just because a film had bad language, violence, etc, didn't make it a 'bad' film

his perspective: if the film portrays 'bad' things as being good and 'good' things as being bad , then the film has a warped ideology and isn't a very accurate reflector of reality. this generally will put it into his definition of the 'poor message' film category.

on the other hand, if the film shows bad things for what they really are (hurtful and of undesirable consequence) then the film's ideology he considers to be 'good'.

yeah it's a little complicated...

he basically said that as morally 'bad' things are a fact of life, they have their place in films, and it's insufficient to judge a film based on the presence of good/bad content, rather it should be evaluated for its artistic & technical merit as well as the ideology (overall message) it reinforces.

i think those family values reviewers miss the point entirely...

xoxrhixox

HSC
re

I have to say i totally agree with that review, as bein a christian myself, all this movie does is promote everything that christians noe are sins.

neways the bible sez 'finally brothers, watever is true, watever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is excellent or praiseworthy think about such things' and from wat ive heard bout this movie.. it doesnt come underneath any of those.

But God does give us a choice in watever we do and i choose not to watch those kinds of movies

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
xoxrhixox said:
I have to say i totally agree with that review, as bein a christian myself, all this movie does is promote everything that christians noe are sins.

neways the bible sez 'finally brothers, watever is true, watever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is excellent or praiseworthy think about such things' and from wat ive heard bout this movie.. it doesnt come underneath any of those.

But God does give us a choice in watever we do and i choose not to watch those kinds of movies
But it is portrayed as being wrong.

The comment about the cross is pretty funny.

I'm guessing you haven't watched sideways? You don't know what your missing.

waterfowl

HSC
I am a Christian, and whilst I think that this movie isn't really the best thing for Christians to watch (someone posted the relevant scripture above) I think that review was a bit crazy.

Personally I think the acting in the movie was very well done and the actors should be proud of it. The review neglects to mention that in the end, Sebastian realises his 'mistake' (in a way) and dies protecting his love.
Throughout the movie there are many immoral things, however in the end Sebastian has made ammends in a way, and Kathryn is finally caught out for the bitch she is.

Cruel Intentions is not as bad as a lot of other movies available in terms of sexual content and swearing.
A movie should be judged on its merit, on what it is trying to say, on its entertainment value etc. Simply saying that a movie has too much sex and swearing and therefore isn't good and shouldn't be watched is plain stupid and going too far.

waterfowl

HSC
STARGATE
1.Ra has about five scantly clad male children which follow him everywhere.
2.Ra himself looks like a girl even though he is supposed to be a boy (Hollywood is once again trying to confuse the sexes.)
3.It contains roughly 10 to 12 profanities, most of which are the usual d-words and h-words, however, the characters do take Christ's name in vain two times. The other two are the a-word and Son-of-a-b.
4.At one point, a young woman tries to take her garment off, in front of Spader, but he remains moral and keeps her from doing it. The scene lasts about 25 to 45 seconds.
5.O’Neil kills one of the bad guys by sending the head up to Ra’s ship, and they show the little red stump at the bottom too.
Seriously that is way to nit-picky. If anyone looks at a movie such as Stargate and makes fault with the fact there are "scantly clad male children", they should just not watch any movies at all.

And the d-word and a-word...what the hell!? I think these reviews should more aptly be called "Excessively Conservative Parents Spotlight on the Movies".

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
waterfowl said:
I am a Christian, and whilst I think that this movie isn't really the best thing for Christians to watch
So they should do what exactly? Pretend that the movie doesn't exist? And why is it only Christians that shouldn't watch it?

Jesus, what would the site say about something like Irreversible?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)