Class of 2010: Eng Ext 2 Roll Call (1 Viewer)

kiniki

HSC
eilys, your MW sounds very much like one of the students works from last year. She did 'The Seven Ages of Woman'. just a warning, or take a look at her work in the 2009 Showcase thread to get some inspiration :)

ewd

HSC
Well!
Originally I wanted to do an essay on the ability of magical realism literature to serve as a vector to express post-colonial ideas, butt I was just told that this has been done before. Like not for 4U major work but there's a lot of books out there on the topic in the academic world, and so I would really need to bring something innovative to the table
Kind of a major boreeeee as I've done 2 months of research but eh.

Now thinking I'll go in a completely different direction and look at the effects of 9-11 on popular culture and literature.
Thinking I'll analyse the tv show 24 for this in terms of it's "crusader mentality", as well as possibly a film (maybe Farenheit 911 if I get super lazy) and probably a book (maybe Saturday by Ian McEwan or The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud or The windows on the World by Frederic Beigbeder .

What do people think? Happy to hear constructive critique :):)

Sicarius

HSC
Me again, I was just curious to get some people's opinnions on my ideas for my major work.

The basic idea is that the Imperials (they are getting renamed, i'll worry about that later), have been laying siege to the sunken world of Ryek for some 7000 years. The planet of Ryek is home to a powerful warrior race called Arkonnians. All children in the Imperial sectors are taught from a young age to hate Arkonnians, most of these children will then join the Imperial Regiments to go off to Ryek to fight against them, usually only to die. However, the real reason for the siege is the rare metal Psichon. A green-grey metal that possess some rather extraordinary qualities. Firstly, its incredibly durable, harder than diamond. It's also capable of surviving anti-matter blasts (still working on that bit), but its true value is in the ability that it can withstand the pure and raw energy of hyperspace, enabling any craft coated in Psichon to safely enter and exit Hyperspace without the use of Quantum Gates. And Ryek is basically covered in the stuff.

Im thinking, correct me if i'm wrong, this presents a few major reasons to want to control the Psichon mines:

1. Military - as the ships of this universe use experimental anti-matter weapons, as well as using anti-matter drives for high speed travel, they can safely destroy enemy ships without threat of the anti-matter ripping their own ship apart. Also as it's extremely durable it can withstand a lot more damage of conventional weapons.

2. Trade - On trade grounds, Quantum Gates are no longer required to be built around planets so trade ships can move far more freely about the galaxy, so the owners of trade companies can get richer, faster.

3. Colonisation - colony ships can just in a sense 'aim and click' use their anti-matter drives to arrive randomly anywhere in the galaxy, colonise a planet, and move on, without the logistics of building Quantum Gates.

Let me know what you think XD XD

Sicarius

jasonn

HSC
Me again, I was just curious to get some people's opinnions on my ideas for my major work.

The basic idea is that the Imperials (they are getting renamed, i'll worry about that later), have been laying siege to the sunken world of Ryek for some 7000 years. The planet of Ryek is home to a powerful warrior race called Arkonnians. All children in the Imperial sectors are taught from a young age to hate Arkonnians, most of these children will then join the Imperial Regiments to go off to Ryek to fight against them, usually only to die. However, the real reason for the siege is the rare metal Psichon. A green-grey metal that possess some rather extraordinary qualities. Firstly, its incredibly durable, harder than diamond. It's also capable of surviving anti-matter blasts (still working on that bit), but its true value is in the ability that it can withstand the pure and raw energy of hyperspace, enabling any craft coated in Psichon to safely enter and exit Hyperspace without the use of Quantum Gates. And Ryek is basically covered in the stuff.

Im thinking, correct me if i'm wrong, this presents a few major reasons to want to control the Psichon mines:

1. Military - as the ships of this universe use experimental anti-matter weapons, as well as using anti-matter drives for high speed travel, they can safely destroy enemy ships without threat of the anti-matter ripping their own ship apart. Also as it's extremely durable it can withstand a lot more damage of conventional weapons.

2. Trade - On trade grounds, Quantum Gates are no longer required to be built around planets so trade ships can move far more freely about the galaxy, so the owners of trade companies can get richer, faster.

3. Colonisation - colony ships can just in a sense 'aim and click' use their anti-matter drives to arrive randomly anywhere in the galaxy, colonise a planet, and move on, without the logistics of building Quantum Gates.

Let me know what you think XD XD

Sicarius

Sounds like a slightly more sophisticated version of Avatar

Sicarius

HSC
Great story, but I see no research, no attempt to incorporate various literary schools, no purpose to your work.

Thanks, I'm still working on that bit, my teacher's been away a fair bit recently, im wanting it to be a bit of a political message about america and the war in the middle east, but as you say, my research still needs to be done, that's what i'll be spending my next couple of weeks doing.

So the imperials are America, Arkonnians the Middle Easterners, and Psichon is the Oil.

Sucks too being the only person in my school doing extension 1 and the first person ever at my school to do ext 2

Sicarius

HSC
Sounds like a slightly more sophisticated version of Avatar

I guess in a sense that it is, its a lot better than my original plans though I can tell you that. Avatar although is more about one's connection with nature, this is war about humanity's (especially america's) inability to mind it's own business and the fact that on a whole, the human race sees war and violence as the supreme authority and uses this violence to govern.

Sicarius

HSC
Realistically, you want to have some literary inspiration, not just political, if you want a better mark.

ahk, i'm raiding what stuff i've got, which isn't too much, my school is somewhat deprived of a lot of good resources. And i've gotta talk to my teacher about all these things too, but thank you all the same. Sucks cause im the first person ever at my school to actually do extension 2

rook

HSC
doing ext2. had to bloody fight for it, but now that ive got it, im doing a story for major work.

btw, good luck to everyone doing it. i hope everyone does well :)

buiwashere

HSC
Hello!

David Bui, I too have a sexy ass logbook, a moleskine!

I'm teetering on speeches or a short story, I've a developed storyline for the Short Story. But think I'll be more confident doing speeches :karate:

HAS anyone checked out the Young Writers Showcase ie. all the best ext 2 works of a given year, they release one every year (I think). It's a really great read.

Good luck all, hope y'all remember to breathe.

iTz Osky

HSC
Short Story, about the consequences of euthanasia and its effects on the relationship between the patient, fiance and doctor.

My journal is a crappy art journal :(

SabbytheMuso

The Geek in the Purple
HSC
I'm Sabby! I'm doing a Critical Response, and it shall be epic.

My diary is pretty effing sexy. I hardly ever write in it, but hey, what is the week before the major work is due for? Not the major work, the journal fakery. :)

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
I'm doing a short story based on the concept of character transformation in relation to contextual values- how societal institutions can affect a transformation in character for better or worse

WingedEagle

HSC
I'm Sabby! I'm doing a Critical Response, and it shall be epic.

My diary is pretty effing sexy. I hardly ever write in it, but hey, what is the week before the major work is due for? Not the major work, the journal fakery. :)

Mhm, that is exactly what im doing, except only im gonna try and get it all over with in the easter holidays - to be honest, i havent even started it yet!

jasonn

HSC
my critical response will be on ' the appropriation of existentialist and postmodernist elements in literature: a satire of 20th century contemporary society..

so basically it's a critique of various novels and films, such as fight club, blade runner and catcher in the rye, which combine existentialist and postmodernist elements for satiric purposes.

Quick question: does it seem as if i'm chucking in too many concepts into my CR?

Last edited:

applerulezd00d

HSC
Im Apple
&& I'm writing a short story on based on loss of faith/atheism
finding the 8000 word limit a little too......limited :x

jasonn

HSC
Yeah have fun fitting that into 4000 words. I did two texts and I struggled to keep it to 4k (I did terrorism in literature).
shit.. are you serious?? i think ill just keep it to 2 texts then..

howd you go by the way and is your work posted in the bos showcase?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)