Co op scholarship - UNSW (1 Viewer)

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
I've heard that this is one of the most prestigious scholarships at UNSW. I'm assuming that this means that it is extremely competitive, is this true? What are the general ATARs of the people who have been accepted?

Also if there are any current scholars out there, did you needed a lot of extra curricular activities? and how is the experience that it provides?

Last edited:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
In my opinion it is not all what a lot of people make it cracked up to be.

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
It isn't? But isn't it really hard to get into or something? O-o

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
I was thinking of maybe Business - marketing or Materials Science and Engineering... but apparently Engineering is hard so I'm a bit hesitant..

Why did he drop?

planino

HSC
Heard plenty of good stuff about this scholarship. Must get up off my ass and go extra curricular now heh

Any BOSers on Co-op? How is it?

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
failed a sub + didn't want to work the 4th year where you have to work for a company for the whole year for only $15000
:O Wait... if he dropped, does that mean he can't graduate? or he just continue with the degree as usual just minus co op?

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
Heard plenty of good stuff about this scholarship. Must get up off my ass and go extra curricular now heh

Any BOSers on Co-op? How is it?
I'm just afraid I won't make it ATAR cut off >_< That's why I want to know how competitive it is?

megaman64

HSC
I'm also interested in this. Any previous or current scholars can provide any details?

Thanks

michaeljennings

HSC
In my opinion it is not all what a lot of people make it cracked up to be.
Not sure what youre referring to here, if youre talking about how hard people say it is to get one then yea youre correct considering i got one lol im nothing special
But if youre referring to the opportunity it gives you then youre way off, just finished site visits to sponsor companies and they all said they would rather hire someone they have already worked with than a complete stranger. The program also invests time and money into you to develop your leadership skills

I've heard that this is one of the most prestigious scholarships at UNSW. I'm assuming that this means that it is extremely competitive, is this true? What are the general ATARs of the people who have been accepted?

Also if there are any current scholars out there, did you needed a lot of extra curricular activities? and how is the experience that it provides?
You need above 96 or something to get a coop scholarship, you may get a conditional offer before ATARs come out but if you dont get the required atar they will give it to someone who was shortlisted.
Yea try get into a lot of extra curricular stuff if you can it might be a bit late now though but seriously you dont need to do heaps of extra curricular stuff you jsut need to be well rounded
So far i wouldnt know in terms of experience since I have worked yet or anything (will be working at the end of sem) but ive already had leadership camp and site visits which are really informative

khfreakau

HSC
once you're into these scholarships, they're really good - the industry links are super useful and put you way ahead of the rest of the pack. just make sure that you're able to write a decent submission and present yourself well in the interview, and you should be fine. a super pro atar is unnecessary - they talk about stacks with scientia and coop, but i don't know a single person in this situation, which goes to show the unimportance of high atar.

michaeljennings

HSC
once you're into these scholarships, they're really good - the industry links are super useful and put you way ahead of the rest of the pack. just make sure that you're able to write a decent submission and present yourself well in the interview, and you should be fine. a super pro atar is unnecessary - they talk about stacks with scientia and coop, but i don't know a single person in this situation, which goes to show the unimportance of high atar.
Depends what you mean by high atar, you only need above 96 which might be misleading for people who consider a high atar to be 99+
As long as your likeable and social you should be fine if you get an interview, i didnt have the best answers but i made the interviewers laugh more than a few times which probably saved me.
Make sure you do your research as well if you get an interview, if you dont its unprofessional

khfreakau

HSC
Depends what you mean by high atar, you only need above 96 which might be misleading for people who consider a high atar to be 99+
As long as your likeable and social you should be fine if you get an interview, i didnt have the best answers but i made the interviewers laugh more than a few times which probably saved me.
Make sure you do your research as well if you get an interview, if you dont its unprofessional
Fair enough hahaha. at the end of the day it's a really good scholarship that's great for whoever gets it :D

MasonT

HSC
From what I know in terms of competitiveness of this scholarship ... its pretty competitive. The main requirement is:
> A 96 ATAR OR the ATAR cut off for the subject you'll be doing (whichever is higher)
> A range of leadership qualities that you demonstrate in your application

From what I know, they tend to look at the ATAR and community obligations (school can be included too) ... they generally 'short-list' who they want, have interviews and such and when they ATAR's are released they generally offer those people on the short-list who made it the scholarship ...

That's my understanding anyway

michaeljennings

HSC
From what I know in terms of competitiveness of this scholarship ... its pretty competitive. The main requirement is:
> A 96 ATAR OR the ATAR cut off for the subject you'll be doing (whichever is higher)
> A range of leadership qualities that you demonstrate in your application

From what I know, they tend to look at the ATAR and community obligations (school can be included too) ... they generally 'short-list' who they want, have interviews and such and when they ATAR's are released they generally offer those people on the short-list who made it the scholarship ...

That's my understanding anyway
Yeah thats pretty much correct, they pick who they are giving a conditional offer to and who they shortlist (reserves pretty much) and if any of the people who got a conditional offer do not accept the scholarship or dont get the required ATAR, then people who are shortlisted are offered the scholarship

cka_tm

HSC
Uni Grad
Would it matter what school you attend to and if it would affect your application?
I think i can meet all its requirements with the access scheme points, but the school i attend just worries me... D:

gorab

HSC
Would it matter what school you attend to and if it would affect your application?
I think i can meet all its requirements with the access scheme points, but the school i attend just worries me... D:
I don't think EAS is included in your ATAR, just an extension if and when you miss your course cut-off

michaeljennings

HSC
Your school doesnt matter, they wont discriminate

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
Not sure what youre referring to here, if youre talking about how hard people say it is to get one then yea youre correct considering i got one lol im nothing special
But if youre referring to the opportunity it gives you then youre way off, just finished site visits to sponsor companies and they all said they would rather hire someone they have already worked with than a complete stranger. The program also invests time and money into you to develop your leadership skills

You need above 96 or something to get a coop scholarship, you may get a conditional offer before ATARs come out but if you dont get the required atar they will give it to someone who was shortlisted.
Yea try get into a lot of extra curricular stuff if you can it might be a bit late now though but seriously you dont need to do heaps of extra curricular stuff you jsut need to be well rounded
So far i wouldnt know in terms of experience since I have worked yet or anything (will be working at the end of sem) but ive already had leadership camp and site visits which are really informative
Does this mean that you're pretty much guaranteed a job when you're done? :O What will all the leadership stuff do for you? as in benefits, apart from fun...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)