cold war (1 Viewer)

jgirl:).....

ok......cold war - can somebody provide me any info either about how it ended,.....or about middle/east and africa. and does every1 no their groups? like did any1 take emphasis on that?

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
it basically started winding down from Detente onwards..

after that, Reagan's intensification of the arms race and propaganda, made it very hard for the USSR to compete economically, so when Gorbachev came to power he knew he'd have to end the war so they might actually ahve some money to fix up their domestic economy. So GOrbachev made conscious moves to end the war, with perestroika, glasnost and democratzia in Russia to lessen the tension between the 2 powers. Reagan saw the war winding down, and basically wanted part of the action with Gorbachev, so in his second term he supported Arms limitations negotiations, lessening tensions and all taht..

in 1989 Gorbachev made a speech outlining the reasons for the Cold War, and stated taht the War was over because those reasons did not exist any more.

then tehre was a military coup attempted in Russia, it failed but the CPSU lost all face, and the SOviet Union collapsed.

The Middle East and Africa are basically examples of
- spheres of interest
- war by proxy
- ideological clash

the Middle East was a major sphere of interest for the US - as capitalism needed OIL to survive. Both the Eisenhower and Carter Doctrine's emphasised the importance of the Middle East to America as a sphere of interest. It was also a source of conflict, especially with Afghanista, and the Arab - Israeli conflict, as USSR was aiding Egypt, but US had close ties with Israel, wen Carter negotiated the Camp David Accord in 1975 it irritated the USSR as they had no involvement in it.

David Painter, professor of international relations at Georgetown university, argues taht the 3rd world was a major area of conflict during the Cold War.
examples : Vietnam 1965-75, Afghanistan 1979-89, Angola, Nicaragua, Korea,

The USSR pledged to support Wars of National Liberation in the 3rd world, to end colonialism and establish communist governments. \

i dunno abt the Groups- i think theyre kinda just token thng in the Syllabus..

jgirl:).....

thanku - thats wot i had 4 middle east...and end of cold war, that is wot ive been reading about i jus dun hav much on groups - hope they dont ask that!! hehe

onemoreyear

yeah, the end of the cold war should be considered as the product of several things:

- Gorbachev's actions (perestroika, glasnost and democratisation. talk about the withdrawal from eastern europe as a product of laissez faire approach in Sinatra doctrine, etc. speak about gorby's personality in terms of befriending Reagan as approachable and Thatcher/Kohl to help convince Ulbricht that he should be more liberal with the GDR, etc)

- underlying problems in the USSR that would have led to collapse w/o gorby anyway (some would argue that his economic reforms prolonged the Cold War for a few years by delaying USSR collape). speak about the inherent woes of command style economy, the unviability (new word!) of a CW conflict when military parity was non-existent and the theory of MAD that had kept the situation effectively static since the 1950s was threatened by the SDI, etc

- Reagan being a good bloke. here there are 2 arguments:
+ Reagan's tough stance on SDI, uncomprimising at Geneva, Reykjavik meant that another detente era (which essentially petrified the CW cnoflict w/o resolveng the underlying issues) could not occur therefore aggression was the correct approach. failure to provide the economic support that had existed since the first wheat deals of 1963 enhanced the economic problems. refusal to trade technologies that had been shared under detente
+ Reagan's stance was conciliatory, not aggressive, towards the USSR. Reagan was fervently anti-nuclear, etc. Speak about his willingness for dialogue in his 2nd term, his co-operation, etc.

For Africa and ME it might be significant to consider the role of these areas in the fall of detente....i.e very briefly
- Angola: The USA provided weak support for UNITA and this country fell to communism (Cuba/USSR backed) therefore demonstrated to Brzezinksi and other hawks that non-interventionism was not working
- Ethiopia: US withdraws support for mengistu's regime and same thing happens
- Israel/Syria: thankfully this one didnt get to messy as the USSR failed to align itself properly with arab nationalism b/c of USSR secularity, but denial of USSR at Camp David got USSR angry.
- Iran: very embarrasing. the hostage situation epitomised carter's weakness, etc
Afghanistan: very obvius. reignited conflict

blah blah blah. im off to bed.

LucyLamingtons

HSC
hmm speaking of cold war...i was wondering if anyone had anymore cold war essay questions? coz i've found a few on here, but i neeeed moooore hehehe please, ifanyone doesn't mind. it seems that writing essays is the only way i can learn this stuff...ohhh by golly gosh how i hate the cold war. i wish i did that irish topic thingy!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)