colourful log books? (1 Viewer)

Gummy_bear

HSC
hi.
i was just wondering how all of you set up your log books? do you try to make it colourful and bright, or just stick with writing the info down.
a lot of girls in my class are making it pretty and stuff but swaying from actually writing info in.
im making my pages colourful but its pretty much writing and pictures of different costumes (im doing costume design)
so, what do you guys do? colourful or just writing?

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
Gummy_bear said:
hi.
i was just wondering how all of you set up your log books? do you try to make it colourful and bright, or just stick with writing the info down.
a lot of girls in my class are making it pretty and stuff but swaying from actually writing info in.
im making my pages colourful but its pretty much writing and pictures of different costumes (im doing costume design)
i think you do need writing, as you obviously need to document your progress, and explain your ideas a bit. though with costume colourful photos and stuff are good since if you see a particulart thing that has a colour you love, you can just stick that in...

Peartie

HSC
My log book is mostly all writing :( some of it does have colour though....

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Depends on the project I say... Eg. My ARP one was ALL writing. Any performance or design logbook has been mostly images and sketches and colours, because if I'm doing a visual project, thats how i think. Its not important though, its about personal preference.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Gummy_bear said:
hi.
It's not a VAPD (the visual arts equilivant of the drama log). The girls in your class aren't doing the wrong thing, just wasting their bleeding time.
Don't go out of your way to make it pretty, its not marked for how good it looks but what it says.
Even for costume design, the only thing that you would have that is mildly attractive would be sketches and swatches.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
im not doing my hsc yet, obviously, but my log at the moment is sort of in between the colourful spectrum of things. Like, most of it is writing, but with bold colourful headings, borders, pretty pens and stuff. and all my diagrams (costumes, sets, etc) are big full page drawings in colour. my teacher looked at it today and said i was on the right track for the hsc, but i dont think she was talking about the presentation.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
My logbook is mostly sticking stuff in like scripts, new drafts news articles... but honestly I'm really behind and I expect to be doing more writing in the coming days.

Syria

HSC
Alot of the time the examiners wont really read it, especially if ur doing performance....they usually just flick through it, so its good to have alot in it, and make it look a little eye catching...it doesnt so much have to be pretty.

Mishelli

HSC
Skillo said:
It's not a VAPD (the visual arts equilivant of the drama log). The girls in your class aren't doing the wrong thing, just wasting their bleeding time.
Don't go out of your way to make it pretty, its not marked for how good it looks but what it says.

I was under the impresion that it didn't actually get marked, I know the markers look at it, but I have been told all year (and last year) that it is only to present the main Ideas and influences behind your peice and that it dosent acually efect your mark, in most cases I think the Markers only glance over it and don't actually read the whole thing, it'd take too much time.

niteshade1312

HSC
True. The markers glance at the logbook, but if they have a problem with you mark or something you did, then they will refer to your logbook and if they can't find it there, then they may change your performance mark

babywhitto

I will use diff coloured paper when printing info from the net..and highlighters and texters yeah...but thats just in calss when i dont wanna work haha.

I used up 8pgs of on stage writing...i worte bout each act...so good!

but when doing our I.P's logbook we just sit there doing headings haha so funny

Drama Gal

We haven't been told to make our logbooks to colourful. After all I am not an art student!!

I am just getting into my group project logbook ... but am struggling I must say. My teacher told me I can use names in the logbook ... but I am sure I read somewhere that you are not allowed to and shouldn't use your name or your group members or your teachers names...

HELP!!!

P.S I so wish we had next year's HSC topics ... I think they are so much cooler!

tendays

ickle firstie
HSC
It doesn't matter about colourfullness, but anything that isn't relevent to how you reach your ideas doesn't matter. I don't mean scrapping scetches or research that aren't needed in the final cut, but things like pretty pens and borders.
mine's a lot of writing, a lot of highlighting and a lot of things stuck in that i think are visually appealing, but there isn't much drivel or room for crap in it.

steffo

steph
HSC
my log book is mainly me drawing pictures about nothing. ie. pictures of poos in a cup, an anorexic cat, a sock, some broken glasses, a mouse with a long tail and speed stripes (so it can go fast), and lots of gold pen writing because i found/acquired/nicked a gold pen from the art rooms and i love it.
basically my log book is my best friend and is the only one who puts up with my ridiculousness without backchat. that's my group log though. my IP is much more serious and mostly contains typed entries involving mostly whinging because i can't find a good piece.
then some writing in gold and more diagrams.
log books are fun fun in the sun sun.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
My logbook goes through moods like me...at the beginning it was very neat and some entries were even typed, but now its just scrawled ideas that are barely readable.

The examiners mainly flip through the logbook before reading the rationale at the back. I really wouldn't worry. The worst thing i have heard about log books is that one time a group was set to get 30 but one of the performers had only 3 pages in her logbook, so they took her down to 29.

If you have enough in your log book to prove you went through the creative process with everyone else, you will be fine. After all, they are judging you on your dramatic ability, not your watercolour paintings or choice of glitter pen...

That said, if it makes you happy, colour all you like. Just don't expect it to change your mark.

Gummy_bear

HSC
wow! this is the first thread ive ever made thats gone for 2 pages! how great!
anywhoo...seeing as my log book is for costume design, ive been doing quite a bit of colour, but mainly just for my sketches and colour tests. thanks for all the comments, its nice to see other ppls opinions.
one Q. before i go.. whats the name for the type of thing you use to colour your renerings like paint or pastels? is it media? or median? i cant remember for the life of me! my book is almost half full, i have added a bit of colour when im bored and have nothgin to really write, at the beggining i was really full on wioth trying to make it look good with textas and stuff, but i dotnr eally bother that much now.

thanks for the comments again! :)

Mishelli

HSC
Hey Gummy...... in the Criteria for costume design it uses the word 'media' so I'm guessing thats the right one! but I know we use medium in art....... yeah but I'm pretty sure its Media! :)

Gummy_bear

HSC
thanx! i jsut couldnt work it out! well.. i guess ill be whiting out sum words in my log tonight. lol! i wish i could do art, but that and drama were on the same line so i had to choose :( but im doing photo instead so thats ok i guess :)
thanks again.

smithica

HSC
log books log books log books.....these things are driving me mad! in our class they r constantly the hot topic..."how many pages have you done?" "how come you don't make it more colourful?"..... logbooks don't get marked that why!!! its a competition in our class to see who can fill up the most log books and it can get frustrating...
im doing directors folio and ive done three so far but the only colour besides blue pen you will see in them is a bit of an image that i would analyse,other then that its pages full of writting... what frustrates me is the girls(and boys)who sit there and colour in a pretty border or use numerous pens to write with. They are only putting themselves at risk by wasting valuble time

ok so you have to make it eye catching so they can refer back but its not a peice of art or a personal diary
My advice:
Use those little tab things on the side and note all the important features rather then colouring it in. It shows the level of seriousness u hav for your work and how much time you actually put into your ip rather then making it pretty

sorry for the rant

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)