• Optometry CSP Uni Melb

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

trishan

Melbourne Private Tutor
HSC
Uni Grad
I thought I would ask my law buddies this question too as I am sure you will give me good reason to do commerce/law or you might tell me from experience and foresight why law isn't the best option.

Which has the better prospects, Commerce/Law or Optometry?

Both are CSP places at the University of Melbourne over five years.

Com/Law offers 100+ places. It is a very competitive course (cleary-in 99.45) with a great scope of career opportunity.

Optom offers 30 odd places. It is extremely competitive (My ENTER: 99.55 and I only got a second round offer) with a very narrow path in what you can take.

Both have good future earning potentials. My strengths match well to both areas.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Commerce/Law or Optom?

Well the answer really is to be found in the question. What does "better prospects" mean?

Because unless you have some specific criteria that we can look at in "better prospects", it would be like comparing applies and oranges: it really depends on what you want to do with your career.

trishan

Melbourne Private Tutor
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Commerce/Law or Optom?

Well I worked on a points system (LOL) assigning a certain number of points to each criteria of job prospects depending on their importance. I had the following categories: job security, employability, vacancy levels, salary (small emphasis), scopeof career paths, specific course details and my strengths. With these com/law wins 32 to optom's 27.

They both have good prospects which makes my job even harder. I want to be able to justify my decision down the line. That's most imprtant to me.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Com/Law will open the doors to an incredibly large variety of job opportunities, whereas Optometry only opens the door to a very limited area.

If you are undecided on your future career, I think Com/Law is absolutely the best choice

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
as moonlightsonata mentioned in a prior thread, almost everything has something to do with business hence a commerce degree gives you a wide scope of employability. when you then take into consideration that law is the backbone of society it follows that a com/law combination is argubly the best combo you could have in terms of "job prospects", whatever that means.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i don't see why i need to persuade you one way or the other to study law.

law and optometry are like oranges and apples. for one thing, studying opto doesn't carry with it the prestige like in law.

but do what you like. it does not concern us.

Rorix

HSC
depends what you want to do.

if you love optom then do optom.
if you love com and or law then do law.

if you just dont care id say com/law since it's more versatile

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Com/Law probably provides more job opportunities, but optom may have better job security. Obviously it's impossible to make a direct comparison.

Jaymie_S13~

HSC
Melbourne University's new Law building is amazing and feels/looks great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)