Commerce (go8 vs the rest) (2 Viewers)

duckydavid

HSC
I have always wanted to know, are the BComs from lower tier Australian unis (ie non g8) comparable to the ones offered by their more reputable counterparts? It seems like most of us tend to rank them according to their UAI/ENTER.

The courses from the 'inferior' unis sound quite comprehensive and seem to use the same textbooks as the g of 8 unis. What makes a BCom better than another anyway?Do you guys think the course material is much easier? Surely the standard in a BCom that requirs only 70UAI is much lower than a BCom that commands 95?

Furthermore, what about the gap between say UNSW/UMelb and UAdelaide or UWA?

My point is...is there a real difference or just a perceived difference? Yes i know, you haven't studied at all of them...just asking for your thoughts, not for a scientifically researched answer.

Last edited:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Enterance ranks are based on supply and demand though have been known to be inflated to make the university seem better - would you rather go to a uni that requires 80 or 95 if you got 95?

I'm guessing UWA's Commerce is so low because there are bugger all IB hopefuls - it is not a prestigious degree in Western Australia while over east all of the asians want to do it and get into investment banking.

The major difference is the oppurtunities and units a university offers - UNSW, USyd and UMelb offer alot more units than UWA and probably give alot better oppurtunities to get into work.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
main things to consider of a go8 uni vs a non-go8 uni
- Peers - Your cohort will be different in a uni that offers a degree that requires a 90+ entrance score versus a uni offering a degree that requires an entrance score of 70. at the former uni, the candidature will be comprising of approximately the top 10% in the hsc whereas the latter can contain a candidature consisting of a cohort from approximately the top 30% in the state

- marking - this leads off from peers. marking will be harsher, with consideration to higher quality answers from the said candidature.

- tests - tests may be forced to be harder to challenge the higher caliber of students that attend these go8 unis relative to the non-go 8 uni.

- funding - its well-known that funding is greater at a go8 uni relative to a non-go8 uni. (this also usually entails newer facilities).

duckydavid

HSC
Thanks for the answers guys.

I agree with what you said in regards to the cohort.

At the risk of sounding elitist, I struggle with the idea that someone who got 70 can study the same material at the same speed and proficiency as someone who got high 90s and is studying at a g08 uni. There is every chance that is possible, but imo unlikely. Sure, year 12 exams are not perfect but there is a large difference between the 70s and 90s.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Sure, year 12 exams are not perfect but there is a large difference between the 70s and 90s.
There are quite a few of my friends who got 85-95 who are now failing subjects at uni - think theres a few more factors than enter scores - I got 89.4 and am not doing aswell as my friends who got 95-98

Fermat

HSC
N/A
It would be foolish to think that there wasn't at least a weak relationship between UAI and intelligence.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Curtin university offers a superior business school to UWA and this is reflected in the cutoff scores and number of asians ("international students").
Went to a business skills awards ceremony yesterday - 100% of the tertiary awards were given to UWA.
Business Icon finalists - 3 UWA students and the winner an ECU student
Students in Free Enterprise - UWA has won the nationals for the last 2 years
UBS Investment Banking Competition - Curtin doesn't even run this to my knowledge

If the ranking of university course is proportial to the number of asians in it I would go to a really bad ranked university just so I can get away from the fuckers. International students (in my non-racist opinion) really do a good job in making universities come across a competiton and have such poor communication skills I make sure the person who wants to do a group project with me was born here.

Last edited:

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Anything other than g8 are basically tafes.

Have you considered going to tafe?

HSC
are you doing bus161 principles of commercial law?
Next semester. Unfortunately prioritised my pols unit this semester, I've been interested in HR for a while but never really saw myself studying commerce. So doing management in summer, then comm law next semester, already done (doing) econs and accounting can fit in somewhere along the line.

meh, I'm not fussed. But feel free to berate me all you like, seeing as this is a "Go8 is awesome" thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)