Commerce/Law at USYD or UNSW (1 Viewer)

jaychouf4n

HSC
Sorry to break your heart, but I got 0.05 below the cut off and was rejected in all rounds.

However, transferring in is easy! So just work hard first year of uni and you can transfer into UNSW Law :)

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
Internal transfers into Law are ridiculously hard. You'll have to work your arse off first year Uni and get at least a Distinction average. Not to mention they'll be lots of other people from other faculties wanting to do the same thing.

this is not hard to get.....Distinction average is quite easy, the only reason people say its hard is cos these people tend to slack off real bad after they studied their arse off for the HSC. At uni, it doesnt get any more harder/easier, you still need to put in the required effort to get your required result. And trust me, D average is NOT hard....
However an HD average is difficult and hard, but achievable...

On another note, i dont reckon it is hard at all to transfer to comm/law, provided you have a 97+ UAI/ATAR and D average, which they advise you to have. In my opinion, this ability to transfer just decreases the prestige of the comm/law degree, you guys might not agree, but let me tell you, i have a lot of friends you didnt make it to comm/law at first, they did well in first year, and then next year was able to transfer to comm/law. So pretty much the 99+ UAI/ATAR needed to get into this course is pretty BS.

The only prestigious degree is Medicine.

ash_xx

HSC
N/A
this is not hard to get.....Distinction average is quite easy, the only reason people say its hard is cos these people tend to slack off real bad after they studied their arse off for the HSC. At uni, it doesnt get any more harder/easier, you still need to put in the required effort to get your required result. And trust me, D average is NOT hard....
However an HD average is difficult and hard, but achievable...

On another note, i dont reckon it is hard at all to transfer to comm/law, provided you have a 97+ UAI/ATAR and D average, which they advise you to have. In my opinion, this ability to transfer just decreases the prestige of the comm/law degree, you guys might not agree, but let me tell you, i have a lot of friends you didnt make it to comm/law at first, they did well in first year, and then next year was able to transfer to comm/law. So pretty much the 99+ UAI/ATAR needed to get into this course is pretty BS.

The only prestigious degree is Medicine.
That's encouraging, thanks! So basically if you already have an ATAR of 97+...you just need to work hard in first year?
I heard that if you worked really hard in the HSC....and keep that same level of hard work up in Uni...you'll do really well? True or BS?

diligent

HSC
N/A
Suggest you check out the "Transfers' thread. Getting a transfer into combined law at USyd was much more difficult this year.

obama5493

HSC
N/A
hey,

if you look at the gooduniversity's guide UNSW does better than USYD

but everyone in my skool seems to incline towards USYD
Go to USyd - it sounds convenient to you, and the new Law building is freaking amazing. Air conditioned and epic.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Makes no difference, in my opinion.

trevhk

HSC
N/A
In my opinion, I don't think it matters... In the end, you undertake the same subjects for law, and there are a wide variety of electives in both law schools which are top-notch. A law degree is really what you want to make of it.

Both universities cater towards the commercial environment, and that can really almost be said for any law school; it is simply just where demand, money and funding is.

In reply to what someone earlier mentioned, from what I've gathered, UNSW is more inclined to accept students who fall below the ATAR cut-off mark. Also, USYD performs far better than UNSW in world rankings.

The only difference I think that matters is the quality of the commerce degree at either university; and I'm assuming that you will be undertaking a Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws degree for fairly obvious reasons. If you have aspirations of practicing in an area non-law related but relevant to commerce, you would, arguably, be far better with a commerce degree from UNSW than USYD.

Hope that helps...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
In my opinion, I don't think it matters... In the end, you undertake the same subjects for law, and there are a wide variety of electives in both law schools which are top-notch. A law degree is really what you want to make of it.

Both universities cater towards the commercial environment, and that can really almost be said for any law school; it is simply just where demand, money and funding is.

In reply to what someone earlier mentioned, from what I've gathered, UNSW is more inclined to accept students who fall below the ATAR cut-off mark. Also, USYD performs far better than UNSW in world rankings.

The only difference I think that matters is the quality of the commerce degree at either university; and I'm assuming that you will be undertaking a Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws degree for fairly obvious reasons. If you have aspirations of practicing in an area non-law related but relevant to commerce, you would, arguably, be far better with a commerce degree from UNSW than USYD.

Hope that helps...
"USYD performs far better than UNSW in world rankings". Yes, because that's completely relevant to deciding to whether to take an undergraduate degree at that university. /sarcasm

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
"USYD performs far better than UNSW in world rankings". Yes, because that's completely relevant to deciding to whether to take an undergraduate degree at that university. /sarcasm
It is if you're intending on getting a graduate position overseas. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)