Commerce/Law Course Enrolment: Did I mess up? (1 Viewer)

J-Ly

HSC
First off, holy shit, no one mentioned how freaking overwhelming it would be enrolling and fighting for your course after you recieved an offer. Trust me to be clueless as fk going into a horrible experience like that.

Anyway, 3 hours+ later here I am at 1am completely enrolled in my courses with a timetable ready. But since it was all rushed and shit I figured theres a chance I might of messed up my course selection. If you have the time I'd appreciate it if you checked out how I selected my courses and whether I did everything correctly.

Being a coming Commerce/Law student I followed this guide:
http://www.law.unsw.edu.au/current_students/enrolment/docs/2010/4733_Commerce_Law.pdf

Which says for semester 1 I have to enrol in:
1 Law + 3 Commerce Courses for a total of 24 UOC.

Now in trying to determine what Commerce courses to enrol in I found this link:
http://www.asb.unsw.edu.au/currents...formation/Pages/newundergraduatestudents.aspx

Which mentions that there are FOUR compulsory commerce courses, was I right in presuming that I had to pick THREE of these only? I picked:

• ACCT1501: Accounting & Financial Management 1A
  • ECON1101: Microeconomics 1
  • MGMT1001: Managing Organisations & People
Leaving out ECON1203: Business & Economic Statistics** . I'm bloody hoping that I did the right thing by leaving 1 of them out?

Next was scheduling my timetable, which was a totally different kind of animal to deal with. Heres my timetable:

After mucking around with the worst timetabling system ever I managed to shave down my automatic 4 day timetable to that ^. Now I was really relieved that I managed to get it down to 3 days, but now I'm worried that I might of packed on too much without many breaks. I honestly don't know what to think of my timetable as I don't really know what to expect at uni, but I was pretty happy fitting it into 3 days [to accommodate with work etc].

Rate my timetable out of 10 please? haha I can't tell if its shit or not but I think I'm stuck with it. Could I have scheduled it better? Is it possible for anyone to sit for 5 hours and effectively absorb and maintain attention?

Ermm I think that's all for now. Sorry that I typed so much just worried that I didn't do everything right.

Thanks,
J-Ly

Attachments

Last edited:

ochaguy

HSC
Good choice leaving out Business Economic Stats for Sem 1.
BES is hard and annoying.

In sem. 2, (depending on which major you're planning to do) you'll get a choice of slightly easier courses such as Marketing to boost your WAM. But bear in mind that Finance, accounting 1b and Macroeconomics (all sem 2 choices) are not particularly a walk in the park.

But generally, BES is the one that most 1st years never recover from WAM-wise.

J-Ly

HSC
You chose the right subjects, but your timetable is green so you haven't actually enrolled yet, you forgot to tick a box somewhere.

http://mahler.cse.unsw.edu.au/rectangles/ helps with making your timetable and you're in the same ECON1011 lecture as me lol
Damnit thanks what colour indicates that im enrolled lol? Hope the classes havent filled cant access the website anymore.

I tried the rectangles thing but i kept getting 1000 options with no effective way of sorting - was i doing it wrong?

Thanks for the replies guys, and yeah i thought leaving out that statistics course would be a good choice lol.

Thanks again.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
They have to be blue. Rectangles have options for days off, lunch breaks, early mornig starts etc.

J-Ly

HSC
Thanks, woke up this morning and they were blue. Looks like I enrolled. But now I'm feeling sick about my monday =\ ha

ochaguy

HSC
Thanks, woke up this morning and they were blue. Looks like I enrolled. But now I'm feeling sick about my monday =\ ha
If you're referring to your 9am Monday start. Don't worry about attending Management lectures regularly. Just need to download the course outline, find when your major assignments are due and go to the lectures on those corresponding weeks.

You'll end up going to max. 3-4 Mgmt lectures and unless you can't write an essay if you're life depended on it, you'll do fine.

J-Ly

HSC
If you're referring to your 9am Monday start. Don't worry about attending Management lectures regularly. Just need to download the course outline, find when your major assignments are due and go to the lectures on those corresponding weeks.

You'll end up going to max. 3-4 Mgmt lectures and unless you can't write an essay if you're life depended on it, you'll do fine.

Thanks that sounds alot better, I'm fine with the 9am start its the non-stop 5 hours [9am-2pm] of sitting that got me worried. But wow what do they do for 2 hours if students dont rock up to those lectures?

ochaguy

HSC
They'll always be people in every lecture of any subject, namely the very disciplined and the internationals (not mutually exclusive). After all, the internationals have to get their money's worth. And besides, people from other degrees take MGMT1001 as a general education course, elective course etc since it's a great WAM booster with minimal effort.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
omg i'm in the same situation

website here http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2007/LAWSA14733.html
says

ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A (6 UOC)
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1 (6 UOC)
ECON1202 Quantitative Methods A (6 UOC)
LAWS1052 Foundations of Law (6 UOC)

which means I did not enrol in management courses and also left out ECON1203....

is this correct?

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
Good choice leaving out Business Economic Stats for Sem 1. BES is hard and annoying.
I wish somebody had told me this...

I'll probably get fucked over considering I did General Maths and cbf doing a bridging course. Oh well.

J-Ly

HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)