Commerce/Psychology...any synergies? (1 Viewer)

SurferNerd

HSC
N/A
Hey,

I'm currently majoring in finance and entering my third year. I'm considering the costs (& benefits) of taking up a psychology major in a BSc leading to a 4th yr (honours in psych).

I can have honours completed by the end of 2013.

I recognise that they are two completely different fields and I know the stringent requirements for psych registration. If I enjoy psych enough I will probably practice in the field, obtaining a masters/PhD.

If not though, will the psych (hons.) degree be of any considerable advantage if I decide to pursue a commerce career (preferably not sales or HR)? I'm interested in a variety of roles from perhaps becoming a financial manager or even derivatives trading or financial planning...

Some instant pro's of psych I have recognised are:

1) Strong research and stat skills that can be applied anywhere (From the stats I've done I really enjoyed it, excelled in econometrics so I'm thinking it will be similar...)

2) Interesting material

3) Broad research opportunities

4) A deep understanding of the behaviour of homo sapiens sapiens is helpful anywhere

5) I can take some evolutionary biology electives (a real interest)

Any thoughts, insights or warnings?

*I'm not concerned about the high marks requirements for postgrad psych, currently on a HD average and only plan to work harder over the coming years...

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Great question, I too have considered this...similar position.

I think they give complimenting skills, the stats side of psych is useful to developing further finance skills etc

Though, if you finish finance and start psych, you will mostly let your finance knowledge run redundant by the end of honours...(doing 3 yrs of straight psych)

It really depends where you want to be

spence

HSC
It could lead to something like behavioural finance, if that seems interesting to you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)