Commerce with Actuarial Studies (1 Viewer)

rhcpfox1

HSC
Hey,

A question to any people at or planning to do a Bachelor of Commerce majoring in Actuarial Studies:

With the new 'Melbourne Model' degrees, where 25% of subjects have to be taken from outside the faculty, will there still be enough room for all necessary subjects for majoring in Actuarial? I mean, if 25% of our subjects are from other faculties, how will we do all the subjects required for actuarial studies?

The UoM site doesn't seem to address this, so I assume they have it all figured out, but any clarification would be most welcome.

Thanks,

turtleface

HSC
I'm not sure they know themselves

theres a similar issue with accounting, theres just not enough subjects. I think Acc/Finance will cease as a combo as a result of these changes because it basically becomes impossible

rhcpfox1

HSC
turtleface said:
I'm not sure they know themselves

theres a similar issue with accounting, theres just not enough subjects. I think Acc/Finance will cease as a combo as a result of these changes because it basically becomes impossible

Hmm maybe Ill email UoM, I mean, for anyone that has a definite career in mind, and say they need like you said Acc/Finance, or Actuarial studies, doing a commerce degree at UoM may not be the best for that pathway.

I know its potentially very bad for people interested in Actuarial, because UoM is the only Victorian Uni that offers it. Only 4 uni's in the country do.

turtleface

HSC
oh I'm sure something will be worked out, not sure what though, but giving them a call is a good idea. Unfortunately though often they themselves don't know what's going on so take it with a grain of salt.

sorry couldn't help much.

Actually you might try contacting the centre for actuarial studies in addition to the faculty to get a 2nd opinion

rhcpfox1

HSC
I contacted the Commerce Faculty at UoM, and they replied that between 75-100 credit points have to be obtained in your degree through 'breadth' subjects, and the layout for Actuarial Studies subjects is as follows (thanks to AppleXY for the sourcing):

First year

300-101 Introduction to Actuarial Studies
306-107 Accounting Reports and Analysis
306-108 Accounting Transactions and Analysis
316-101 Introductory Macroeconomics
316-102 Introductory Microeconomics
620-121 Mathematics A (Advanced)
620-123 Applied Mathematics (Advanced)

One additional subject. Recommended subjects include:
620-131 Scientific Programming & Simulation
------
Second year

300-203 Financial Mathematics I
300-204 Financial Mathematics II
316-201 Intermediate Macroeconomics
620-201 Probability
620-202 Statistics
333-201 Business Finance

Two additional subjects. Recommended subjects include:
300-205 Introduction to Actuarial Practice
316-202 Intermediate Microeconomics
---
Third year

300-312 Actuarial Modelling I
300-313 Actuarial Modelling II
300-314 Contingencies
300-315 Actuarial Statistics
300-316 Models for Insurance and Finance
300-334 Financial Mathematics III

One additional subjects. Recommended subjects include:
325-201 Organisational Behaviour

All the 6**-*** codes are from outside the commerce faculty, and the University reassured me that this combination of units would satisfy the breath component of a commerce degree.

Incidently these units are the Actuarial society's recommended subjects, so it should all work out nicely.
--

defaz1989

HSC
and the same goes for accounting. you need to study 3 law subjects (one per year) in order to become a CPA/ICAA associate member, and these count toward the breadth component.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)