Communication and media Cert 4/ Diploma (1 Viewer)

thiri

HSC
I'm planning to do the Communication and Media diploma next year (that is, if i get into it, if not, im hoping to do certificate4). I would like to know if the course is easy or hard to get into since i have no previous experience in that field. Anyone who did or is doing that course pls tell me anything you can about it. I'm planning to go to uni after tafe to study journalism. Could I get into uni with if i only had a certificate 4? If I did a diploma and did it very well, could i get advanced standing in uni? Also how long do these courses take?
Answer any question that you can please.

thiri

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
You could get into UWS and MQ (maybe UOW) with a Cert 4 I think, though it would be more difficult(diplomas 'scale higher' to put it simply) and you wouldn't recieve as much advanced standing with a certificate. Your chances would be reduced with USYD/UTS to a point where I'd doubt you could make it in with just a Certificate.

If you did a Diploma then you could get anywhere up to a years worth of credit, and if you did well in it then your chances of getting into communications in uni increases dramatically, especially when compared to the Certificate. There are also established pathways between this course and the SCU communications course I believe.

The Certificate is one semester (18 weeks), information on the program is given here:http://www.sit.nsw.edu.au/pdf/course_sheet_pdf.php?Select=19285
Thats for petersham campus, its available at quite a few other campuses though.

If you finish the Certificate, you enter the second semester and study the Diploma program, which makes the Diploma about a year's worth of study. Information is given here: http://www.sit.nsw.edu.au/pdf/course_sheet_pdf.php?Select=19728

Also keep in mind that this means you don't have to decide between the two now - you could start off with the Certificate and apply for the mid-yearly intake at uni when its done and if you don't get in, you'd just go on with the Diploma and apply again at years end.

thiri

HSC
Thanks Kami !

You've been a great help!! I thought at first that the diploma takes 2 years. But this sounds good. I want to do cert IV then do the diploma. I didn't think i could do both of that in one year. Thanks agian!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)