Communication Protocol? (1 Viewer)

Cabrera1990

HSC
I have been pondering what this is? i mean i know rouhgly i just cant differentiate it? I mean is it something like; HTTP, SMTP, FTP, POP....e.t.c.? and where does error correction come into it? i mean theres three right; partiy, checksum and CRC????

Question: "Define what a communication protocl is and give an exmaple" please help me?

Cheers

xpsadam

HSC
Well as you may know, there are a number of communication protocols. Each one is used for a different reason.

To answer that question you probably will have to mention that it is "a set of rules that is governed between two computers"; used to determine how the data will be transferred, checked and received.

Some examples:

HTTP: This one is used to publish and retrieve pages on the internet

FTP: This stands for File Transfer Protocol and as the name suggests it is used to transfer data across the internet or through a network. You use FTP to upload your website pages to the web server (for example).

There are also some email protocols like POP and SMTP, POP is used to retrieve email from an email server and SMTP is used to transfer email messages to the web server.

These are only a few examples of protocols, you can find many more. :D

To answer your question about Error Checking; when two computers / servers try to connect to one another they usually use the same protocol to do so. The first step in the connection is "Handshaking". This is where specific information is give to the other computer and vice versa. This information can include the type of error checking that will be used; CRC, Check Sum, Parity Bit etc, as well as information such as what is to be transferred and anything else relevant to the connection.

Last edited:

mijoe

HSC
The example only gives one mark. Please check marking guidelines if you want evidence. All you have to write for that mark is something like, An example of a communication protocol is File transfer protocol which is used to send files over the internet. A communications protocol details the "Language" the computers speak (ASCII etc) the type of error checking method must be agreed on to be the same, the error correction method e.g. retransmission, the way the data is sent (Synchronous/Asynchronous - Prelim stuff, i forgot what they mean, somebody help plx) and also how often the receiving computer acknowledges that it has received the data that was sent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)