communications: UTS vs. UNSW (1 Viewer)

| n i s s y |

HSC
Which do u guyz rekon is a betta course............

the new media n communications/law degree at UNSW??( I noe UNSW has a good rep for law and as a uni but a crap rep for media n comm)

OR

PUblic communication/law at UTS (coz UTS has the best rep for comm....n an ok ish rep for law...)

whadda ya rekz?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
UTS has an excellent reputation for law. It's only high school (and lower university) students that think otherwise.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Media and Communication at UNSW is more a computer media based course and is very different from pub comm. UTS has the best reputation for pub comm. It would really depend on what you wish to focus more on, law or pub comm. UTS law has an excellent reputation and UTS is a great university. It's communications courses are particularly well known.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
UTS has an excellent reputation for law. It's only high school (and lower university) students that think otherwise.
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Media and Communication at UNSW is more a computer media based course and is very different from pub comm. UTS has the best reputation for pub comm. It would really depend on what you wish to focus more on, law or pub comm. UTS law has an excellent reputation and UTS is a great university. It's communications courses are particularly well known.
I agree.

UTS Law is cutting-edge and UTS Communications has a well-established reputation.

So much so that in my classes, we have one student that dropped Arts/Law at UNSW to transfer to UTS to study Pub. Comm/Law and A Media and Comm student from UNSW who dropped it to study Journalism at UTS.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
There are people in my classes that have tranferred from USyd communications to UTS because Syd is all theory that doesn't really equip you for the workforce. UTS does rock!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm not saying USyd is crap or anything, but for journalism you really need a more practical approach... you can't really "study" it without doing it, and you need practical experience to build a portfolio to get a job. From what I have heard off USyd people you don't start actually doing any journalism until at least halfway through the 4 year degree, whereas we do it from day 1. I think that USyd has better arts subjects, like history and politics and stuff, but UTS has better professional subjects.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by Beaky
Why is everyone so patriotic about their unis?
I agree.

Whilst patriotism is good when it is justified, give each course the credit and criticism it deserves without the blindfolds of uni prestige and all that crap people seem to perpetuate.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by melbournian
Btw, I think Social Inquriy is the most nothing degree I've ever come across. It attempts to combine a too broad of a scope for a degree, that doesn't have majors in it.
yuo realise that social inquiry is ONE strand of communications, and also that no one mentioned it...... right?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I did...in the other thread. :p

Anyway, why should it have a major when it IS the major? That's just silly. BSc (Physics) in Astrophysics doesn't have majors, but by your reasoning it should. :p

nesstar

Does anyone know anything about combining science with media/communications, particularly @ UTS...and could someone clarify what the communications degrees involve? The idea of communicating science realli interests me, and someone mentioned to me that UTS is the best uni for media/communications...

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
there is a media & communications/science double degree at usyd. from memory the uai last year was 97.50 or thereabouts. there's no science/communications double degree at uts, though perhaps if you did BA Communications (journalism) youcould choose science electives later on.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Really? I thought there was a Science/Arts combination? Perhaps you can ask the Deans to tailor-make you a degree, I know it's happened in the past. Obviously you need to convince them.

nesstar

thanx for that...also, what kind of subjects are involved in a communications degree?

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
1st semester of any communications degree @ uts:

Power & Change in Australia (politicsy kinda stuff)
Contemporary Cultures 1 (cultural studies)
Communication & Information Environments (its about media/technology sorta shit)

+

1 intro to your professional subject- e.g Introduction to Journalism

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)